Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow Import of Navisworks Saved Viewpoints to BIM 360 Glue

Allow Import of Navisworks Saved Viewpoints to BIM 360 Glue

When working in a mixed environment with Navisworks and BIM 360 Glue, it is currently not possible to share a viewpoint (camera position, target position and sectioning settings) into a BIM 360 Glue model.

This is a vital piece of the collaboration puzzle that is currently missing. If Navisworks XML import is not an option for BIM 360 Glue development, these are other possibilities:

• allow BIM 360 Glue to import BCF format
  • when Glue-ing from Navisworks, make an option to also glue multiple "saved viewpoints" along with the model data
  • similarly, you should be able to Glue multiple 3D views from Revit to one single 3D model on Glue
15 Comments
joan_allen
Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Review

joan_allen
Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Review

joan_allen
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is what is keeping me from making a full commitment to glue.  This would allow for a very seamless coordination process.

eric.stimmel
Enthusiast

BCF support (import/export) would greatly appreciated in terms of supporting team members using software other than Navisworks or Glue. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

If my experience is correct, I believe you can access Saved Viewpoints from Navisworks on the iPad app; but not the Desktop or Web app. Would like to have Saved Viewpoints accessible on all platforms.

jamesaustin2271
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

Hi Luke.  Thanks for your input to the ideastation. Sure you'll have seen by now that this feature was implemented in Navisworks 2016 SP3. We called out your inputs on the beyond design blog too, so thanks for helping us to make sure we're focussed where it matters!

glendadvorak9120
Explorer

Yes, shared viewpoints work in Navis 2016 SP3.  But also forces a new work flow that isn't ready for prime time.  I have not been able to successfully load .nwcs into a merged model - too many of them hang up.  And the color and transparency override doesn't translate into the B3G app.  Is there something I'm missing?

I really liked the simplicity of the Glue-it button in Navis 2015, where the saved viewpoints, colors, and transparency all ported to the B3G App via iPad by Glueing the .NWD file.  Can we get that functionality back - it was so easy for the rest of the project team (those not creating models) to use. And it would be ideal if the same worked in the Desktop version.  

luke.johnson
Advocate

We have found the Saved Viewpoints feature does import colours, but you basically need to:

• upload source files to Glue directly using Glue desktop app
  • create merged model on Glue desktop app
  • open that merged model in Navisworks 2016 SP3
  • now, create your colour overrides and save to a Navis viewpoint with 'override...' tickboxes checked
  • use the new Glue viewpoints pane in Navisworks to add these 'overridden' Saved Views to Glue

The colours should now show up on Glue desktop app. You can optionally play with the 'display materials' option in Glue desktop app (try turning it off) to see if your colours show up.

Christiaan_de_Wit
Enthusiast

This request was not fully implemented, since the BCF-import/export functionality is stil unavailable. Please considerate this part of the request for a (near) future release.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a way to save new viewpoints in Navisworks and upload them to Glue? I know there is the shared views feature but that requires me to make a new saved viewpoint in navisworks and then create a new shared view of the same Navisworks saved viewpoint for each viewpoint.

I also know when you upload a new file to Glue the existing Navisworks native saved viewpoitns show up in Glue but when you add a new saved viewpoint it will not show up in Glue Is there a streamlined way of just opening up your navisworks saved viewpoints (as well as any new saved viewpoints that will eventuate) in glue?

jperkins1MXXNE
Enthusiast

In Navisworks 2017-2018 the saved viewpoints in an NWF are not accessible in Glue. The views native to the source file can be turned on but those are largely the 3d development views of the authors and generally useless to anyone but them.

the saved viewpoints will be captured in an NWD published out and uploaded. This is great for a set of dated progress coordination models. It does not address the ongoing merged model used in weekly coordination.  While the saved viewpoints are saved in this file and therefore available when this model is opened in Navisworks, none of those viewpoints are available in Glue on the web, desktop, or iPad. 

I agree with Luke that we need to be able to import the views to the shared dialog or have a cursor menu selection to duplicate a view from Navisworks to Glue.

i would go one step further. Either as a global setting or as a setting on individual or folders of viewpoints should be a checkbox to “show view in Glue”. It should be as simple as turning on a sync function that keeps the views in Nav and Glue aligned.

cridenourTCZKV
Explorer

Still no progress on this? Lame.

ncarey87EY5
Observer

7-years later, lamer

TE_GiulianoG
Explorer

Was having trouble getting the Shared views feature to work, this link helped me. Please note I did have to uncheck the "Show native viewpoints" on the iPad app settings to not get the individual NWC 3D views like jperkins pointed out.

But I agree, this would be awesome if Autodesk could get this working!

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/bim-360/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Shared...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report