Community
BIM 360 Field Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s BIM 360 Field Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular BIM 360 Field topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Location hierarchy

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
smawl23
560 Views, 3 Replies

Location hierarchy

Is there any way that I can copy the pattern of a location heirachy for example Main buidling>Floor>Room. Is there a way of copying the amount of rooms and its names from maybe floor 1 for another 15 floors, rather than inputing the information manually? 

I know I can define it one by one and set the location and define whats in side that location, and so forth, but can I repeat the pattern somehow? 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
a.schear
in reply to: smawl23

Do you have a Revit model you can export room locations from?  That can be really helpful.  If not there is a way to use Excel functions to do this. 

Here is where I have the attachment I use to explain exporting from Revit.  Some people prefer this way finding it much quicker and some aren't comfortable with functions and end up typing it up.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/bim-360-field/import-room-names-into-360-field-locations/m-p/5125098#M...

Message 3 of 4
williamt.rabe
in reply to: smawl23

This takes some time to muddle out for the first run but will save you MUCH MORE time down the road, because you can use the same process to assign locations to anything that has it's room number as a property or as part of a data set.

1. Download the example locations spreadsheet from Field. Do a save as and then create a second sheet in that workbook. After deleting the instructions on the primary "Workbook 1" the formatting must remain as instructed, but the cells can be formula or references to other cells or workbooks.
    1. Manually enter the highest level below "TOP LEVEL" into BIM 360 Field directly as the concatenate function (step 5) gets tricky and real complex with many more IF functions if you don't do this. 
  2. Use a room schedule in excel as a second sheet in the excel workbook modeled after the locations example
  3. Input the highest level locations such as building name (From Step 1.1) if needed and fill that down an adjacent column on the schedule sheet
  4. Use IF functions in excel to populate the parent locations such as floor/level/building in another adjacent column.
  5. Then in yet another adjacent column (or the location path column on Worksheet 1" use the Concatenate function in excel to tie together all the parts
  • So if B1 is Room Number XYZ-123 
    • The IF functions coupled with Left/MID/FIND read the appropriate digits from this cell to populate cells B2 and B3 where X designates Building X, and the 1 in "123" designates the Level 1.
  • B2 is 2nd Parent Location Level 1
  • B3 is 1st Parent Location Building X
  • B4 is the resultant Location Path Building X>Level1>XYZ-123

i.e. B4=concatenate(B3,">",B2,">",B1) = Building X>Level1>XYZ-123

Message 4 of 4
ccook
in reply to: williamt.rabe

I can tell you have struggled through this more than once. Smiley Very Happy

I too find that using formulas in excel similar to what you described can make this process much more efficient and agree that the effort is worth the downstream efficiency that is created. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report