Community
BIM 360 API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s BIM 360 API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular BIM 360 API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Immediate Email Notifications via API upload to Library

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
michael.reuter
280 Views, 2 Replies

Immediate Email Notifications via API upload to Library

Currently, the Immediate Email Notification function does not work when the API is used to upload documents to the Library.

This is important because essentially, an API upload automates the process of manually uploading files by the Administrator.

This is a perfect example of a time that a BIM 360 Administrator would want / need immediate notification emails that confirm/inform the Administrator that a file had been uploaded or updated in the Field Library.

Here is a response from one of my clients for why this is important:

The problem with the daily update email is that they do not detail what files were changed. The link doesn’t take you to a description of the changes, it takes me to the Issues tab of Field.

When you do a manual update to the library, the immediate notification indicates who updated the file, and the file path (see other attachment). For the API to be truly useful, it needs to generate a report that details what files were changed so that our subs can recognize what files they need to re-print or re-distribute to their team.

As it is now, I can see that 3 documents were uploaded between 9:09AM on 10/3 and 9:09 on 10/4, but out of 1,059+ documents, If I’m the sub, how do I know which ones were updated?

Please fix this.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
ccook
in reply to: michael.reuter

This is a big challenge for those using the API to upload drawings.
Message 3 of 3

Hi mreuter, 

This seems to be an enhancement wish to have notification mechanism?  

We have an idea station where you can post a wish.  Others who has the same wish can vote for it: 

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/bim-360-ideas/idb-p/2032/tab/most-recent 

Feel free to use this.  

That said,  from API user perspective, it is a bit fuzzy what you are trying to accomplish.  

I'm trying to understand the workflow here.  Do you need an additional API to get the owner of project and  send notification?  

Obviously, when you use UI, seemingly one command may be running a series of REST calls or at the server side in the back end. If we upload multiple files, you may not want to get notification for each of every single files you upload. Rather, when you are done with all the uploading, your app will send the notification to the people who are interested in receiving.  So, what we will need will be: access to the list of project members, provide url links to the relevant page, for example. 

When you log a wish, you may want to detail each functions. Possibly log it separately. 

For example, I'm aware one wish like this: 

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/bim-360-ideas/static-url-to-link-directly-to-bim-360-items/idi-p/62073...

I can easily imagine that the item like this can be really powerful when you want to notify to the people who are concerned.  I would suggest you go there and vote for it if you think this will be useful for your purpose.  

Mikako Harada
Developer Technical Services

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report