Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 vs Autosketch

33 REPLIES 33
Message 1 of 34
Frodad
18272 Views, 33 Replies

Windows 7 vs Autosketch

I purchased the latest version of Autosketch 2 years ago.

I just bought a new laptop (Windows 7 and 64 bit) which will not allow be to load my Autosketch.

I have all my files.

What can I do to work with these files?

Thanks for any help.

33 REPLIES 33
Message 21 of 34
pendean
in reply to: tom

"not supported" does not mean you can't or shouldn't use it with newer Windows versions: it simply means they spent no money on testing and have no plans to fix any future problems if they crop up.

Know the difference.

Message 22 of 34
gregmacp
in reply to: pendean

The issue I have with AutoSketch on the Windows 7 OS is that it is impossible to execute a "Save As" command, making it impossible to copy one file to another. Making it unusable in Windows 7. So what they are doing selling the program at all is beyond me if they refuse to support the program or even address the issue of newer operating systems. And now there is Windows 8. And the price for AutoSketch 10, which won't work on Win7 or Win8, has recently had a price increase. Heck of a way to run a railroad. Bring back Drafix! Greg MacPherson c:917-679-0565 e: macpherson.greg@gmail.com
Message 23 of 34
tom
Community Visitor
in reply to: pendean

Thank you for your response. However; I was told that Autosketch 10 would not work and could not be used with Windows 7 or 8 as they are 64 bit programs and the code will not work.
Message 24 of 34
roger.hynam
in reply to: Frodad

Try 'right clicking' on programme icon, then click on 'run as administrator' You should then be able to open the file clicking on it. 

Roger Hynam

Message 25 of 34
CrossCountryDesigns
in reply to: tom

Just a quick note - I also was able to install Drafix on a Dell w/ Wdws7 64bit w/ no problem,

However, in the last month I have developed 2 gliches, which I am assuming is because of an auto MS update:

1) Help menu is no longer available/supported

2) My mouse pointer is no longer accurate unless I zoom right in on a line or object.  If I point to a line it accepts a line nearby instead - darn frustrating as it has really slowed down drawing time.

Any comments on a fix?

Also, thinking of converting old drawings into a more current version before totally out-dated.  Sounds like AutoSketch may be able to accept Drafix - worthwhile pruchasing? and what version?

My daughter has both Chief Architect and SoftPlan - thinking of trying to dump into those as well as DWG's or DXF's.

Love Drafix for its simplicity yet w/ many features - above all it is user-friendly - learned to use it in one night years ago - nothing else seems as intuitive - wish they could have stuck around and developed a 3-D version.

I haven't looked at AutoSketch - maybe it is close to the same for being easy to use.

Thank you.

John

Message 26 of 34

Hi all....some great news for anyone who finds this thread and is still stuck.

I just moved from a 32 bit XP machine to a 64 win7 machine. My skf files migrated with the windows easy transfer file but not any authentication code for autosketch 9. I tried installing from my CD but got stuck at the enter validation code part (I sensibly kept only the cd and sleeve).

I left a message with autodesk australia asking for help but of course that got ignored. Smiley Indifferent
I spent a few hours searching for any packaging I may have had for the autosketch disc but of course that is long gone. I spent some hours trying to find if the authentication code might be saved on the old xp machine and where it might be hiding. I spent some time trying to find something else that would open all my skf files.
Here's the laughably fantastic part...I inserted the cd into the win7 machine and simply entered as many numbers as I could off the inner part of the disc (only able to enter about half the numbers). To my amazement the program installed!! Smiley Very Happy
When I open autosketch it asks if I want to register the product now or later...I clicked later and don't bother me again.
Files won't open directly but rather autosketch must be open first and then select a file to work on. Then it is all business as usual.
I'll be converting all my files to dwg or something and getting the hell out of dodge 🙂

Message 27 of 34
pendean
in reply to: Tripod979

Nice: thanks for sharing.
Message 28 of 34
Frodad
in reply to: Tripod979

Sweet - best suggestion yet!!
Message 29 of 34
shesgone
in reply to: roger.hynam

Message 30 of 34
shesgone
in reply to: roger.hynam

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I have been looking for two years on Google for this answer. Many people have this problem but no solution. It fixed my case!

Shesgone
Message 31 of 34
Fred9002

I'm assuming it's a Windows problem and I'm no expert on that, but a few thoughts:

I put AS10 on a Win 7 64 bit machine, I don't remeber any particular problems.   

Windows is not really usable unless you are on as an Administrator.  Make sure that you are logged on as an administrator.  You might also run the install program  as "run as administrator"  and set the properties of the  desktop icon as "run as administrator" 

If you are still having problems, try installing a different program.......then you will find out whether it is an AS problem or a Windows problem.  

Message 32 of 34
gregmacp
in reply to: Fred9002

I sincerely hope that this problem gets resolved. I used AutoSketch since it was Drafix and I always thought it was a great platform for simple 2D drafting. I teach CAD as part of Lighting Design at a local college and I was fine with AutoSketch until I had this problem and got 0 support from Autodesk. I have since moved on to Vectorworks and thought it is WAY more expensive it is a better tool for work in my field, which is almost totally changed over to the VWX platform.
Message 33 of 34
thixoman

Hi all,

If you are having issues with files and As in other operating systems and really need the files converted to a format you can use, drop me a line and will do wat I can to get you going. back in the day, I also had many instances when I was against the wall trying to get files to open that were created in other programs and was lucky enought o get help from this site to have conversions done. To 'pay it forward" I have been doing in kind to any that ask for this help, , ,  more often than not, there is renumeration involved, , , just a good feeling of helping someone elese out.

crosby_a@hotmail

p.s. - started in CAD with generic 6 and AS 1 for DOS, , , yah,   waayyy back in the day.

Al - Calgary

Message 34 of 34
thixoman

Hi

contact me at crosby_a@hotmail.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report