Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 vs Autosketch

33 REPLIES 33
Message 1 of 34
Frodad
18271 Views, 33 Replies

Windows 7 vs Autosketch

I purchased the latest version of Autosketch 2 years ago.

I just bought a new laptop (Windows 7 and 64 bit) which will not allow be to load my Autosketch.

I have all my files.

What can I do to work with these files?

Thanks for any help.

33 REPLIES 33
Message 2 of 34
RHTE
in reply to: Frodad

I am experiencing similar issues.  Using AutoSketch 2.1

Ive tried the compatibility tool, which only comes back with:

"A problem is preventing the troubleshooter from starting."

There is nothing wrong with the trouble shooter.

I tried right clicking and opening the setup.exe properties, and setting the compatibility mode to both XP and 95.

Each time getting the error message:

"The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher."

So here I am, checking with the publisher... or this message board provided by such.

My next move would be to try installing Autosketch using the Windows XP emulator (virtual machine) provided with Windows 7.

If anyone has any other solutions Please let us know.

Message 3 of 34
chriscuenca

I have autosketch 2.1, used with an old geotechnical database. Works fine on XP but need to load it on borrowed win 7 laptop and get message missing BWCCENI.dll file when I try to display logs. Can you advise or copy me missing file?

Many thanks

Message 4 of 34
giovannidi

Did you ever get any satisfaction regarding your Autosketch and Win7?

I have the same problem.

Message 5 of 34
RHTE

Running it in Windows XP virtual machine within XP has been the only solution I have had.

Message 6 of 34
Fred9002

We're talking two very different things in one thread.  A very old AS (2.1) and a very new AS. 

I've put and run AS9 on several Win 7 machines.    No problem except so far I have to open AS and then open the file.....just douple clicking the file doesn't open AS.  

AS9 was made before Win7 and before Vista.  I would think that AS10 should be even better with respect to this. 

Fred    

Message 7 of 34
Scott_P
in reply to: Fred9002

AS10 does seem to be running smoothly on Win7, although I have a limited amount time working with this configuration.  The install was pain-free.

Message 8 of 34
Scott_P
in reply to: Scott_P

I'll also add that even though the op is asking about AS7, I had absolutely no joy trying to get AS6 loaded on a Win7 machine, in case that is of use to anyone.

Message 9 of 34
kweakley

I have had no problems with AS-9 on my Windows 7 laptop except that I too have to start Autosketch prior to clicking on a .skf file (which under XP would start AS).

Message 10 of 34
Bobber70

I have AS6 and win7. Any cures for installing?

Message 11 of 34
paul.wacko

Turn the UAC off from the getting started menu.

User Account Control.

Then install your program

Paul

Paul Jackson
Western Australia
http://www.resolv.com.au
Tags (1)
Message 12 of 34
billjest

Try,

Setting up virtual XP. on Windows 7 (I'm using Ultimate)

Then go here.

http://boardreader.com/thread/Windows_7_Autodesk_Discussion_Groups_bhwqcX1mfzj.html

I did what he suggests for Auto Sketch 2.1 and it WORKED. Amazed.

Finally I can dump that old XP machine. I have now got access to 15 years of autosketch drawings.

Message 13 of 34
RHTE
in reply to: billjest

This has been the only solution Ive been using and Billjest is correct, this works well.

Message 14 of 34
rwsql

Good Folk,

Do any of the solutions mentioned so far (before 12/9/2011)

on this topic work with windows 7 home premium?

Has Autodesk indicated whether a version of Autosketch

will be available that will work with Window 7 without the XP

virtual machine?

Thanks for any help - I sure can use it.

/Robert

Tags (2)
Message 15 of 34
StevenMac
in reply to: rwsql

Robert I use 'sketch 10 and Win7 (32 bit) at home, and 'sketch 10 and Win7 (64 bit) at work.

The program runs just fine.

Message 16 of 34
gregmacp
in reply to: paul.wacko

I had to go the virtual  machine route (XP running on the machine as well as Win7) as well. AS ran fine at first in Win7 but then kept freezing and I couldn't do a "Save As." Autodesk  if not commenting on whether they will be offering an fix to AS10 or a new version that will allow the program to run in Win7. Very annoying as I cannot print AS files except to Acrobat.

Greg

Message 17 of 34
ianhobba

My solution to the problem was to install Autosketch (my version is 6.1) onto a memory stick, on a Windows XP PC, and use it from the memory stick on my Windows 7 Laptop, apart from failing to register on the computer it works perfectly well (as far as I can tell).

The next step was to copy the Autosketch Folder from the memory stick to Program files on my C: drive, still have the 'failed to Register' error message, but when I close the message, the program still works with no groans, I haven't come across any problems yet anyway.

The final step will be finding how to use Regedit to register Autosketch on the laptop. Maybe the problem lies in the Installing program 'setup.exe', perhaps it is the cause of problems in setting up Autosketch on Windows 7. I'm no computer guru, otherwise I may have been able to load it on the way others have been successful.

Thanks for the useful information and the space.

Message 18 of 34
StevenMac
in reply to: ianhobba

There's a program by microsoft (I think it was made by another company that was taken over/sold to microsoft) called Fixit. Free to download and it may help install/uninstall issues on Win7

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall/

Message 19 of 34
ianhobba
in reply to: paul.wacko

Thank you StevenMac, a good suggestion, but because I haven't installed the software on the comnputer by way of the setup.exe, it isn't in the registry, so an error in the registry can't be found by fixit. Never mind, Autosketch is working on my laptop, all I have to do is close an error message on the screen and start drawing! Thanks again.

Message 20 of 34
tom
Community Visitor

Regardless of what Autodesk says, Autosketch 10 installs and runs well on a 64bit Dell desktop.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report