Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

version 2.1 skd's in version 9

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
324 Views, 5 Replies

version 2.1 skd's in version 9

From the post's I've seen here Sketch 2.1 won't run under XP with service pack2. Since my '486 with win3.11 went bye-bye I guess I gotta spend some change for Sketch 9.0.

So my really big question to those 'In the know" is :

Will I be able to transfer Sketch 2.1 skd's to version 9's new format? What ever that is.

Or do I need to start looking around for a used machine just to keep Sketch 2.1 alive?
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

You can open 2.1 drawings in the newer sketch (.skf format, incidentally). However, it's not as clean-cut as it could be. They won't open through windows explorer, you have to manually open them from inside autosketch.
You may find you need to import a font or two.
When i did it, I lost page layout settings. Since all my drawings are landscape, I just changed the default printer to landscape while opening my .skd drawings and saving them in .skf format.
Good luck.
Dan
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

If you were here I'd buy you a cup o' coffee.
I do appreciate the response.

Changing layouts, font's or whatever is not that big of a problem. Just as long as I can access my files.
I've just got too many to lose.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

Not a problem. 🙂
I totally understand where you're at, I was in a similar spot a few years ago moving to v.7. I had thousands of blocks (partclips, whatever the term of choice) and 1,763 drawings. My head hurts just remembering...

I don't look forward to next time we get a format switch either. I let the .skf count break 2000 before deciding that all new drawings will be done in autoCAD.

If you work someplace with a serious payroll, you can pay autodesk (or at least our rep, i could get the info for you) to convert them all for you. The rate is obscene though, as I recall.

(however, I'd do it for less than 1/2 what we were quoted ;D)

It's a damn shame they can't stick with one format. *shrug*

Anywho, good luck. 🙂
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

I don't have 1000+ drawings maybe a few hundred. Those could be redrafted from hardcopy records as needed. (But who wants to?)

Tho I do have several hundred specialized electronic components as partclips. These took several years to accumulate and I shudder thinking about trying to replace or restore them.

I do understand that software changes and sometimes file formats must change as well. But if Autodesk ever needs to change the file formats they should be offering a file transfer utility to maiintain compatibility. If not for free then for a small fee. Autodesk isn't the only company that makes a drafting program....
How many people would stick with MS WORD if their newest version couldn't read a previous versions' format? Think I'd be saying Hello to WordPerfect!
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

Don't worry, your partclips actually transfer just fine 🙂

I agree, a migration utility should be offered for all the software, and not just the high end. oh well...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report