Did you mean: 

Thumbnail views

26 REPLIES 26
Message 1 of 27
Anonymous
1699 Views, 26 Replies

Thumbnail views

Hello,
I have thumbnail views with most files in explorer but not with autosketch.
I had thumbnail views with autosketch on my last PC.
Can anyone help with this please.

Ray
26 REPLIES 26
Message 21 of 27
DanKap
in reply to: Anonymous

Harvey, it doesn't seem as if you're following the thread. I'm aware of how to work with file associations, and different versions of AS were not installed for file association purposes.
As kindly explained by Barry, V9 removed file previews in Windows Explorer. My office considers this a vital feature. I reinstalled V8 in order to keep the previews in Explorer.
I was just now commenting that even though I installed V8 after V9, Windows still selected V9 as the default for .skf files.

Dan
Message 22 of 27
Anonymous

DanKap wrote:
> Harvey, it doesn't seem as if you're following the thread. I'm aware of how to work with file associations, and different versions of AS were not installed for file association purposes.
> As kindly explained by Barry, V9 removed file previews in Windows Explorer. My office considers this a vital feature. I reinstalled V8 in order to keep the previews in Explorer.
> I was just now commenting that even though I installed V8 after V9, Windows still selected V9 as the default for .skf files.
>
> Dan

It wouldn't be the first time I can't follow a
thread. I can get dressed in the morning now with
only a little help.

Why not change the file association in Windows?
Maybe I don't get it, but it seems that you can
choose any installed program to open any file type
you want, AS8 or AS9.

I don't know how this effects the thumbnails
within AS though.

H
Message 23 of 27
DanKap

I don't want to change the association in windows because I don't have any association problems. My issue is that V9 does not allow thumbnail views from Windows Explorer. Understand I am referring to thumbnails from Windows Explorer, and not thumbnails from AS. V8, and all the previous versions I've used allowed thumbnail views from Windows Explorer, and I need that feature. By installing V8 after installing V9 I was able to get my Windows Explorer thumbnail views back without any complications. All file associations are fine. With the exception of Autodesk removing some pretty basic functionality from V9, everything is fine.
Message 24 of 27
Anonymous

DanKap wrote:
> Harvey, it doesn't seem as if you're following the thread. I'm aware of how to work with file associations, and different versions of AS were not installed for file association purposes.
> As kindly explained by Barry, V9 removed file previews in Windows Explorer. My office considers this a vital feature. I reinstalled V8 in order to keep the previews in Explorer.
> I was just now commenting that even though I installed V8 after V9, Windows still selected V9 as the default for .skf files.
>
> Dan

[...even though I installed V8 after V9, Windows
still selected V9 as the default for .skf files.]
<\q>

Actually I would expect Windows to open a file
with the first program it finds that can open it,
not the last. But who knows what evil...?

The thumbnail situation is interesting though. If
the drawing was created in V5, V6, V7 or V9, then
V9 will open any of those thumbnails in the
Startup screen. Unfortunately I haven't got V8 on
this machine so I don't know about that version.

The previews in Explore are a different matter. It
appears that there isn't any thumbnail viewer for
skf drawings with only V9 loaded. Are you saying
that V8 WILL open the Explore thumbnail? That
situation would be bad, agreed.

Am I getting any of this?

H
Message 25 of 27
Anonymous

DanKap wrote:
> I don't want to change the association in windows because I don't have any association problems. My issue is that V9 does not allow thumbnail views from Windows Explorer. Understand I am referring to thumbnails from Windows Explorer, and not thumbnails from AS. V8, and all the previous versions I've used allowed thumbnail views from Windows Explorer, and I need that feature. By installing V8 after installing V9 I was able to get my Windows Explorer thumbnail views back without any complications. All file associations are fine. With the exception of Autodesk removing some pretty basic functionality from V9, everything is fine.

AH! I got it now, thanks. I posted below before I
read this post. Thanks for clearing a bit of mud away.

H
Message 26 of 27
Kevin.Hutch

Seems a lot of confusion, I went straight from V7 to V9 and never had the facility in explorer.

My work around was to save a GIF version of the file.

This was a natural as I was sending copies of the drawings to people who did not have autosketch and GIF format was the smallest file size I could find for line drawings.

Then came the management of versions, so I just checked the modify date.

Regards
Kevin Hutch
Be part of the solution not part of the problem
(61) 4 0887 1538
Message 27 of 27
Suzyq

I have a SKF L corner drawing on the screen of the Autosketch, I want to move it to line up on the grid in the corner for sizing and joining with a border one going right and one going down.  When I highlight it entity to move it there isn't a black line around it so lining it up is very difficult.  Others have this line and it take seconds instead of minutes to move and line up with the grid.  How do I get the outline when moving?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report