AutoSketch

Engelglas
Message 1 of 5 (593 Views)

Subtract circle from polygon

593 Views, 4 Replies
03-17-2013 09:55 PM

I have applied a hatching to a rectangle representing a cross section of a cuboid. A circular hole is also present in the cross section, and the hole should not receive a hatching. However, I cannot subtract the circle from the rectangle, at least not by using Trim - Intersection.

Can anybody help? Thanks in advance!

Mentor
StevenMac
Message 2 of 5 (570 Views)

Re: Subtract circle from polygon

03-20-2013 01:25 AM in reply to: Engelglas

Is it as simple as draw the circle first, then apply the hatching or am I missing something?

Engelglas
Message 3 of 5 (566 Views)

03-20-2013 04:41 AM in reply to: StevenMac

Hi StevenMac, I should have been more clear re: my desired approach. I'm not applying a hatching by filling an area, but I'm rather assigning a hatching to the object (Edit | Objects | General | Pattern Mode: Hatching). Doing this, I do not have to remove and re-apply the hatching when modifying the shape of the object.  However, in order to receive a valid print, all portions like holes etc. must be subtracted from the object.  The "Trim | Intersection" function, however, can be used on polygons only, it refuses to accept a circle as object to be cut from another object.

I hope this explains better what I'm trying to achieve.

Thanks and best regards,

Thomas

Mentor
StevenMac
Message 4 of 5 (559 Views)

03-20-2013 05:06 PM in reply to: Engelglas

A hatched area acts like a block with a movable boundary. If you double left-click a hatch you can drag its handles around to resize it.

If you want to remove an area as you describe it's a pain in the butt, unless someone knows a different way - the hatch has to be exploded and each line modified (trimmed) individually.

I leave hatching till the end, and make use of layers to hide lines I don't want to interfere with my hatch.

Engelglas
Message 5 of 5 (553 Views)

03-21-2013 12:39 AM in reply to: Engelglas

Thanks!

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.