Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subtract circle from polygon

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Engelglas
1166 Views, 4 Replies

Subtract circle from polygon

I have applied a hatching to a rectangle representing a cross section of a cuboid. A circular hole is also present in the cross section, and the hole should not receive a hatching. However, I cannot subtract the circle from the rectangle, at least not by using Trim - Intersection.

Can anybody help? Thanks in advance!

Tags (2)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
StevenMac
in reply to: Engelglas

Is it as simple as draw the circle first, then apply the hatching or am I missing something?

Message 3 of 5
Engelglas
in reply to: StevenMac

Hi StevenMac, I should have been more clear re: my desired approach. I'm not applying a hatching by filling an area, but I'm rather assigning a hatching to the object (Edit | Objects | General | Pattern Mode: Hatching). Doing this, I do not have to remove and re-apply the hatching when modifying the shape of the object.  However, in order to receive a valid print, all portions like holes etc. must be subtracted from the object.  The "Trim | Intersection" function, however, can be used on polygons only, it refuses to accept a circle as object to be cut from another object.

I hope this explains better what I'm trying to achieve.

Thanks and best regards,

Thomas

Message 4 of 5
StevenMac

A hatched area acts like a block with a movable boundary. If you double left-click a hatch you can drag its handles around to resize it.

If you want to remove an area as you describe it's a pain in the butt, unless someone knows a different way - the hatch has to be exploded and each line modified (trimmed) individually.

I leave hatching till the end, and make use of layers to hide lines I don't want to interfere with my hatch.

Message 5 of 5
Engelglas

Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report