AutoSketch

AutoSketch

gizmospike
Message 1 of 4 (511 Views)

.skf files COMPLETELY disappear on both hard drive and stick back-up

511 Views, 3 Replies
03-10-2012 03:53 PM

It's as if a function specifically looks for the file and deletes it both places. I have started removing my stick every time I edit a file. We purchased a computer with Windows 7 in September, but this just started in February. (I did not have the back-up box checked in Options. I do now.) Any ideas?

Distinguished Contributor
Fred9002
Message 2 of 4 (503 Views)

Re: .skf files COMPLETELY disappear on both hard drive and stick back-up

03-12-2012 02:44 PM in reply to: gizmospike

First guess is that it may not be as perceived.  Seems implausible that AutoSketch would have a search-and-destroy function that searches the computer for .skf files and deletes them.   Could there be some other issue that is confusing the situaiton like: 

-Files never were really saved

- Look different because Win 7 is hiding the extensions

- You aren't loooking direct at the resources / drives but instead at some other Windows false-intelligence crap that is trying to play middleman? (libraries or whatever)

- You are searching wrong. Search set for fiels with different extions etc. 

Suggest verifying that the file is saved  and where it's REALLy at.  Then look at it later via a direct file viewing method at the actual resource (C:\) 

Just a few thoughts  Maybe all no good.

Fred9002

gizmospike
Message 3 of 4 (500 Views)

03-12-2012 06:15 PM in reply to: Fred9002

Thanks Fred9... LOL - I really didn't think there was any need for paranoia... but the files are just plain gone! The files were saved, because an old version, without new/updated information, was found on an older back-up CD. We are using Win Explorer and all file extensions show, including .skf files from other projects. We store our files in a data drive (D:\) and in this case as I mentioned, duplicated on a flash drive.

Anyway, we've 'checked' the Back-up box now...

This will likely remain a mystery.

Mentor
StevenMac
Message 4 of 4 (484 Views)

03-17-2012 09:48 PM in reply to: gizmospike

Kill all background tasks. I wonder if antivirus is removing these files.

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.