AutoSketch

AutoSketch

gizmospike
Message 1 of 4 (515 Views)

.skf files COMPLETELY disappear on both hard drive and stick back-up

515 Views, 3 Replies
03-10-2012 03:53 PM

It's as if a function specifically looks for the file and deletes it both places. I have started removing my stick every time I edit a file. We purchased a computer with Windows 7 in September, but this just started in February. (I did not have the back-up box checked in Options. I do now.) Any ideas?

Distinguished Contributor
Fred9002
Message 2 of 4 (507 Views)

Re: .skf files COMPLETELY disappear on both hard drive and stick back-up

03-12-2012 02:44 PM in reply to: gizmospike

First guess is that it may not be as perceived.  Seems implausible that AutoSketch would have a search-and-destroy function that searches the computer for .skf files and deletes them.   Could there be some other issue that is confusing the situaiton like: 

-Files never were really saved

- Look different because Win 7 is hiding the extensions

- You aren't loooking direct at the resources / drives but instead at some other Windows false-intelligence crap that is trying to play middleman? (libraries or whatever)

- You are searching wrong. Search set for fiels with different extions etc. 

Suggest verifying that the file is saved  and where it's REALLy at.  Then look at it later via a direct file viewing method at the actual resource (C:\) 

Just a few thoughts  Maybe all no good.

Fred9002

gizmospike
Message 3 of 4 (504 Views)

03-12-2012 06:15 PM in reply to: Fred9002

Thanks Fred9... LOL - I really didn't think there was any need for paranoia... but the files are just plain gone! The files were saved, because an old version, without new/updated information, was found on an older back-up CD. We are using Win Explorer and all file extensions show, including .skf files from other projects. We store our files in a data drive (D:\) and in this case as I mentioned, duplicated on a flash drive.

Anyway, we've 'checked' the Back-up box now...

This will likely remain a mystery.

Mentor
StevenMac
Message 4 of 4 (488 Views)

03-17-2012 09:48 PM in reply to: gizmospike

Kill all background tasks. I wonder if antivirus is removing these files.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!