Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scale in Print Not "True to Scale"

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
baumgrenze
665 Views, 5 Replies

Scale in Print Not "True to Scale"

I have an architectural drawing scaled at 1:20 that fills the drawing space in Autosketch 9 many times over. I did this so that I could print a sub-section of it on 4 sheets of 8.5x11 paper and then trim them to abut one another when glued down on heavy corrugated cardboard as a crude matrix for quick cardboard 3-D model. When I print the drawing, the resulting scale is 8' = ~9.5'.

In the print menu I chose the default settings, "Page View" and "Scaled." In the Tools>Drawing Options>Scale menu the Display Drawing Origin and Apply Scale Change boxes are checked.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

baumgrenze
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
000jdi
in reply to: baumgrenze

Hi, baumgrenze

Are you printing to a printer? Setup as you have it but try printing to a pdf file and then print the pdf file on the printer.

Does you scale in the print dialog box have a 1:20 scale? What margins are you using on the printer?

Regards

Jason
Regards
Jason
Message 3 of 6
baumgrenze

Jason,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I am printing to an HP Deskjet 882C.

The sizing method is "Scaled" with a scale of 1'::20' specified. I think I said I am printing the "Page View."

The margins are default:

L=0” (0.2533”)
T=0” (0.0433”)
R=0” (0.2533”)
B=0” (0.5033”)

When I get a chance I will try printing to Acrobat. I have a copy of Acrobat 8 Professional. It does seem counter-intuitive to print to a pdf and then print the pdf. I know that when I copy a drawing and paste it into Word 2000 that the relative dimensions seem to change subtly.

Thanks,

baumgrenze
Message 4 of 6
Fred9002

This is going to be a little vague because I haven't done it in months. But if I understand your question correctly.

Create a DRAWING size ("size" in page setup) then choose "printer paper" size for your printer paper.

Then AS printing divides it up for you. and you can tape them together afterwards.
Message 5 of 6
Fred9002

I meant to say:

This is going to be a little vague because I haven't done it in months. But if I understand your question correctly.

Create a DRAWING size ("size" in page setup) sufficient to include whatever you want to do. then choose "printer paper" size for your printer paper.

Then AS printing divides it up for you. and you can tape them together afterwards.
Message 6 of 6
Protostar

I found the pdf method works for me. I have a scaled drawing that I printed to a pdf (CutePDFPro) using 1:5 scaling so that I could present it from a laptop and not have to bring up AS. When I printed it, I found the scaling was 1:5. Paper = 387.7 (scaled), AS = 389.9. 99.4% accurate. I can't tell the difference with these old eyes 😉

~R~

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report