Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running Autosketch 9 in windows 8

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
puprooster
7777 Views, 5 Replies

Running Autosketch 9 in windows 8

I spent some time this afternoon trying to get Autosketch 9 installed on my new Dell Windows 8 64 bit machine for my cd. 

I could not get it to install even though the installer said it was installed. I tried using the compatibility troubleshooter but still could not get it to work even after trying all of the options.

The installer put all of the files from the cd on to my hard drive under Users/John/AppData/Local/Temp/AutoSketch. The files included a bunch of cab files, ReadMe.hlp and Setup.exe among other files.

Well guess what! I clicked on setup.exe and it installed for me. I can't double click on a file in explorer but I can load all my drawings from within Autosketch. The program seems to work ok except the opening of the files from explorer.

I thought that I would share this with you all, I know that it made my day.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
LabDad
in reply to: puprooster

I'm glad to read that you seem to be able to use Autosketch 9 in windows 8. I am buying a new computer, and will have to go through that myself.

Did you have to create a "virtual XP machine" such as detailed in the link below?

http://lifehacker.com/5965889/how-to-run-windows-xp-for-free-in-windows-8

I don't know anything about Windows 8, but had read there was no native "XP mode" from Microsoft. I also was under the impression that Autosketch 9 was for a 32 bit OS, so I'm guessing you had to install Autosketch in a "virtual XP machine"? As you can see, I struggle with computer issues Smiley Frustrated.

Message 3 of 6
puprooster
in reply to: LabDad

Hi LabDad,

I didn't have to create a virtual machine to make it work. I think it was more like dumb luck. It was odd that every time that I tried to install it the installer said that it was installed but I could find no trace of it in the start menu. 

To be honest I don't remember how I ever found the setup.exe file in that location (Users/John/AppData/Local/Temp/AutoSketch.)I am just so glad that I got it to work and that I didn't have to purchase or learn another program. 

John

Message 4 of 6
por930

Hi John,

I am just about to get a new win 8 machine in the office and was wondering if I could put Autosketch 9 on it, or leave it on one of the win 7 machines. You answered my question I was just searching for. I have been dreading the time when it no longer works and we have to upgrade, as it it such a nice little program.

Regards

Geoff 

Message 5 of 6
puprooster

Hi Geoff,

I really am glad that AS9 works in Windows 8. I don't use the program that often but I have had it so long that I can remember how it works when I do use it. Are there any alternatives available that will be compatible with my old drawings? Not that I am looking to change, just wondering what other options are out there. Someday I will probably have to replace it when it no longer works(some next version of Windows).

I guess that I won't worry about that until I have to!

John

Message 6 of 6
Rberea

Hi,

I am new to this forum but am trying to install autosketch on windows 8. It seems to have installed fine but when i open the program up I get this error

' Sketch.exe - entry point not found

the procedure entry point ?addLinksG1Continuity@AcGelmpCompositeCurve3d@@QAEXN@Z could not be located in the dynamic link library C\Program Files(x86)\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\acdb 16.dll.

If anyone has any solutions for this it would be much appreciated

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report