Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about AutoSketch

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
267 Views, 3 Replies

Question about AutoSketch

I've been using another Cad program for about 3 yrs and I have never been very happy with the program or the support it offers. I use CAD for drawing 2d house plans and not much else. After gathering info I'm thinking about buying AS, but I have a couple of questions. (1) Just how difficult is this program to learn? I have fooled around with AC2002, and well, I just don't have the time. (2) Is AS similar to QuickCAD 7? before I bought my current CAD I tried QuickCAD. I liked it, but the other product was much easier to learn.( I regret that now) One thing I didn't like about QuickCad was changing the size of an object. For example I'd drag a 3' x 3' window from the symbols palette, no where was I able to find the size of the window. In AutoSketch is there a properties bar or something that will show the size of an entity? Any info will be appreciated. Thanks By the way my name is not Floyd and I'm not a barber, my son uses this nickname for a game forum. lol
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Floyd_The_Barber wrote: > I've been using another Cad program for about 3 yrs and I have never been > very happy with the program or the support it offers. SO I am curious - what program was it? Though I believe you will like AS, I think you need to Pay for support from AutoDesk. AutoDesk people rarely visit the newsgroup I use CAD for drawing > 2d house plans AS is a straight 2D program - no 3D stuff to worry about. > (1) Just how difficult is this > program to learn? I have fooled around with AC2002, and well, I just don't > have the time. AutoCAD really requires a 3 month course so can you do simple drawings. AS has a few one minute tutorials which should get drawings fairly quickly. This newsgroup is usually very helpful. There is also the hand on a house book that that you can purchase. http://www.resolv.com.au/ (2) Is AS similar to QuickCAD 7? Yes. before I bought my current > CAD I tried QuickCAD. I liked it, but the other product was much easier to > learn.( I regret that now) One thing I didn't like about QuickCad was > changing the size of an object. For example I'd drag a 3' x 3' window from > the symbols palette, no where was I able to find the size of the window. In > AutoSketch is there a properties bar or something that will show the size of > an entity? Not sure on this one. A symbol can have name that has this info. > By the way my name is not Floyd and I'm not a barber, my son uses this > nickname for a game forum. lol My name is Len. Nice to meet you Not-Floyd who is Not a Barber.
Message 3 of 4
Gadget

^ What Len said.

>I use CAD for drawing 2d house plans and not much else.
That's one of the things I use it for (as well as elevations); we work with extensions and home improvements.
Although Autodesk rarely poke their nose in here, there are others who will try and help you; just ask in here.

> (1) Just how difficult is this program to learn? I have fooled
> around with AC2002, and well, I just don't have the time.
If you have used another CAD package, all you need to learn are it's little excentricities and where similar commands are to what you are used to.

> (2) Is AS similar to QuickCAD 7?
I assume so: Len says it is.

> One thing I didn't like about QuickCad was changing the size of
> an object. For example I'd drag a 3' x 3' window from
> the symbols palette, no where was I able to find the size of the
> window. In AutoSketch is there a properties bar or something
> that will show the size of an entity?
Yes: you simple "enquire" that object and get a popup with all the info. Alternativly you click on the "enquire dimension" tool with a start and end point and it will popup telling you the size.

If you want to re-size it, the "stretch" tool is handy; draw a marquee over one end of the window, select everything under that marquee, select where you want to move the edge from, select where you want to move it to, done. (clear the marquee)

Hope this helps

Gadget
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

>>Question about AutoSketch
actually, i think this qualifies as a few questions. you yourself fess up to this further down your post, confirming my suspicions. I won't hold it against ya though 🙂

>>I've been using another Cad program for about 3 yrs and I have never been very happy with the program or the support it offers.

I'm curious too. what is it?
I've been using AutoSketch (v2.1-9), ACad & ACad mechanical for a bit over 4 years. For what it is, autosketch is great. It's nowhere near as capable as ACad (which the price and learning curve both reflect), but I'd bet it's plenty for what you're doing. The support reflects the price, however, and the primary advice you'll get from anybody from Autodesk with any of your problems is "we really don't offer that level of support for that software, buy AutoCAD".

I use CAD for drawing 2d house plans and not much else. After gathering info I'm thinking about buying AS, but I have a couple of questions

>>(1) Just how difficult is this program to learn? I have fooled around with AC2002, and well, I just don't have the time.

by comparison to other cad software, it's amazingly easy. It's something that can be self-taught efficiently, something I'd never say about AutoCAD.

>>(2) Is AS similar to QuickCAD 7?

Most likely. Len seems to be truthful about these things. As i said, only sketch & acad over here.

>>One thing I didn't like about QuickCad was changing the size of an object. For example I'd drag a 3' x 3' window from the symbols palette, no where was I able to find the size of the window. In AutoSketch is there a properties bar or something that will show the size of an entity? Any info will be appreciated.

not to my knowledge. There are ways to inquire distance and all, but it is lacking an autocad-style, real-time (I'm having a brain fart on the term I want to use here) properties bar (much to my dismay, release after release)

>>Thanks
you're welcome.

>>By the way my name is not Floyd and I'm not a barber, my son uses this nickname for a game forum. lol

see username. pleased to meet you.

my .02 is that it's a great program for the $. If support and a (insert word for real-time) properties box is that important to you, (and especially if you like command lines and model/paper space), then consider Acad. If you want to keep it simple, cheap, and easy to learn - Sketch is your tool.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report