Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening a DWG file...missing text

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
pchris
511 Views, 4 Replies

Opening a DWG file...missing text

I thought I was trying to do something simple. I have a DWG (created from the latest AutoCAD version) file and I bought the latest Autosketch 9 to open it and do some editing. I figured that by staying in the Autodesk product family I'd be safe. But I can't open the DWG file (gives me a File processing error). So then I asked my draftsman to convert it to DXF and it opens there, but all the text disappears.

I had an Old copy of TurboCAD (I hate it) and it opens it up just fine, so I used it to convert the file to ACad 2000 DWG format. Opening that file with AS9 works, but also results in all the text vanishing.

The weird part is, I can see the text (black) in the Preview pane so I know it's "there", but it vanishes as soon as I open the file.

I've searched the forums, the knowledgebase and nothing seems to quite match my symptoms.

In desperation I'm going to attach the actual DWG file to see if anyone else can try and explain the problem or propose a solution.

I have other options, I can ask my draftsman to re-save it in another format, but we've tried two already and we're spinning our wheels.

I went with Autosketch because frankly even AutoCAD LT is overkill and too high priced for me. I only need to view and make simple edits (move a few lines, add/edit some text copy/paste a few electrical symbols) and will only use it once or twice a year. No 3d stuff, not even any dimensional stuff, just a couple schematics and wiring diagrams.

I have used LT in the past, so I can work with the interface oddities of CAD programs, I just wanted something a bit scaled back and cheaper and really don't like TurboCAD because it's so oriented toward Architectural stuff. (No offense TC users, it's just not my cup of tea.)

Any advice out there? Was AutoSketch the wrong choice?

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to give it a shot.

PC
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
fredt
in reply to: pchris

I noticed that nobody answered. Here a 1/3 of an answer.

We've used AS( a lot and think it's a great program for us. We create, edit, store etc. in .skf files, and so I'm not knowledgeable on your import issue.
Message 3 of 5
crag_dolomite

at first I thought maybe the text came in microscopic, but after performing Modify Selection for Entity Type=Text not were selected.

So If one can export or save either DWG or DXF up to 2004 then it should open up here usually with text
Message 4 of 5
pchris

Nope,

I've tried DXF...AutoCAD 2004 and an AutoCAD 2004 created by doing a Save As... with TurboCAD. There's something peculiar about this drawing that makes the text disappear whenever I open the file using AutoSketch.

It's odd because the Text does appear in the Preview Window and it also shows up using virtually every DWG or DXF viewer I've come across.

Here's the DXF version, it does the same doggone thing 😞
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

I have opened the .dxf in AutoCAD 2008 and all the annotation has been done
in Paper Space....a bad practice in my opinion. The text ranges in size
from .125 to .2 and seeing the drawing is initiated from the States, it
could be in inches but as I work in the real world with metric
(millimetres), the text could be .125mm to .2mm which is microscopic.

You will need to ask your draftsperson to re-annotate in Model Space or
he/she can export all the information from Paper Space to Model Space.

AutoSketch does not support Paper Space. Screen capture attached.

Ric Norris.

wrote in message news:5885296@discussion.autodesk.com...
Nope,

I've tried DXF...AutoCAD 2004 and an AutoCAD 2004 created by doing a Save
As... with TurboCAD. There's something peculiar about this drawing that
makes the text disappear whenever I open the file using AutoSketch.

It's odd because the Text does appear in the Preview Window and it also
shows up using virtually every DWG or DXF viewer I've come across.

Here's the DXF version, it does the same doggone thing 😞

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report