Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

making continuous line drawings in Autosketch

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
NHaacke
1549 Views, 9 Replies

making continuous line drawings in Autosketch

i use autosketch to draw patterns for computerized quilting machines.  i have to go back and make the drawing all connected in one continous line.  which is very time consuming.  Am i dreaming to ask if there is a way after the drawing is done to ask autosketch to give to the quickest way from point A to point B in the the drawing?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
StevenMac
in reply to: NHaacke

Feel free to attach an example drawing (rename the file extension to .doc or .zip to bypass forum filter)
Message 3 of 10
NHaacke

i don't know how to save it as a Doc or zip  but for example i drew an angle fish in autosketch now i have to connect all the lines so the machine can stitch the angle fish out so i have to go in and connect all the lines into one continuous line throughout the entire fish and yes sometimes i will back over a few lines which is ok but very time consuming so it would be nice to tell auto sketch ok start here and give me the quickest way through this drawing .

Message 4 of 10
StevenMac

Right click a file -> rename -> edit extension like this:

drawing_name.SKF

becomes

drawing_name.doc

http://www.fileinfo.com/help/windows-show-extensions.html

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows-vista/Show-or-hide-file-name-extensions

Message 5 of 10
NHaacke

Autosketch does give you the option to do this

Message 6 of 10
NHaacke

see if this works

Message 7 of 10
NHaacke

Steven did you give up on me? i attached a piper jet...

Message 8 of 10
StevenMac

So this is why my inbox is filling up!

Unfortunately this is a traveling salesman problem and it would take a program far more sophisticated than 'sketch to solve it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travelling_salesman_problem

I need you to attach that skf so I can open it myself, and not a picture of it.

Message 9 of 10
NHaacke

Sorry about your inbox when i try to insert a skf it tells me there is an error i must not be understanding you on how to save them to get them to you.  i have reinserted 2 files for you to look at one is a sea horse that is partially connected so you can see how I do it the blue is the connected part the black is the ruff drawing that still needs to be refined and connected. or (trim joined) i also thought it would be nice for you to see a completed drawing that is already trim joined and already works beautifully as a quilting pattern...see attached  on the piper jets the quilting starts where i have inserted first and stops or connects to the next one where i have put last.  i will create a ruff drawing, then start connecting it line by line and as i connect it i turn it from black to blue so i know where I have done. i just work my way around the drawing refining and connecting it until i get back to where i started or where I want it to end then i use the trim join feature to see if it all joins ok. then i save it as a .dxf ectention and pull it into my quilting program where it converts it to a QLI extention for my machine.

the time consuming part is joining it. i just thought it would be nice if i could refine the drawing without joining it and give it a command that would then ask it the quickest way from first to last then join it the way it tells me..... maybe I am dreaming...  i did insert the two drawing they had the extention just the way you told me to put them in and it would not accept them... i don't how else to get them to you...

Message 10 of 10
000jdi

HI

You can use the trim join tool to join a bunch of connected lines into 1 polyline.   selct trim join tool hold down ctrl and pick a line

Regards

Jason

Regards
Jason

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report