Did you mean: 

how to snap a circle to 2 points

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
ronautosketch
2834 Views, 5 Replies

how to snap a circle to 2 points

Hello,

I am using AutoSketch vesrion 7. I would like to snap a circle to 2 points P1 and P2. That is, I would like for the circle to intersect these 2 points. Attached is a picture in PDF format showing the circle and the 2 points P1 and P2. The 2 points P1 and P2 are the edges of a hole in which the circle will sit on.

The top portion of the attached picture shows 2 points indicated by P1 and P2 and the circle before being moved. The bottom figure shows one case in which I moved the circle close to these 2 points without using any snapping function. Clearly the arc of the circle does not intersect points P1 and P2. Is there a way that I can move the circle so that it snaps on to these 2 points? So the end result would be that the circle contains points P1 and P2.

I tried using the intersection snap but that doesn't seem to work. When I move the circle towards these two fixed points, no snapping occurs. I'll appreciate if anyone can help with how to do this.

Thanks,

ron
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
StevenMac
in reply to: ronautosketch

Ron I can only give you a quick 'n dirty answer, not a solution - draw two circles from those corners, then a third circle where the first two intersect. Then delete the first two.

Circle 1 & 2 have to be the same radius as you want number 3 to be: http://i38.tinypic.com/2lwngu8.jpg
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

Ron,

You didn't specify if the circle has a set
diameter. If it doesn't, or if the radius/diameter
is defined by another point, you can try the
3-point circle tool. The first two points are the
block intersections, the third is wherever you
want it. This only works if the radius is
constrained or the circle dimension isn't specified.

If the circle dimension is set, then Steve's
method may be the only way, and clever enough it
is, too. It's indeed quick, but hardly dirty.

_h

>
> I am using AutoSketch vesrion 7. I would like to snap a circle to 2 points P1 and P2. That is, I would like for the circle to intersect these 2 points. Attached is a picture in PDF format showing the circle and the 2 points P1 and P2. The 2 points P1 and P2 are the edges of a hole in which the circle will sit on.
>
> The top portion of the attached picture shows 2 points indicated by P1 and P2 and the circle before being moved. The bottom figure shows one case in which I moved the circle close to these 2 points without using any snapping function. Clearly the arc of the circle does not intersect points P1 and P2. Is there a way that I can move the circle so that it snaps on to these 2 points? So the end result would be that the circle contains points P1 and P2.
>
> I tried using the intersection snap but that doesn't seem to work. When I move the circle towards these two fixed points, no snapping occurs. I'll appreciate if anyone can help with how to do this.
>
> Thanks,
>
> ron
Message 4 of 6

Steven,

Thank you for your reply. This is an excellent and very clever solution. It works well. Thanks!

ron
Message 5 of 6

Harvey,

Thanks for your response. Regarding your question the diameter is defined in the problem I outlined. The method suggested by Steven (to draw 2 additional circles) works very well (very clever too).

Thanks to both for your help.

ron
Message 6 of 6
StevenMac

A draftsman has to rely on trigonometry, a designer has the freedom of parametric design.

You know how we use 'snaps' to connect lines? You know how polylines stay connected to each other like snakes? What if a 'snap' was permanent...

AutoCAD 10: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzHeQyuYZsQ

I can't believe it's taken this long to do what SolidWorks/Solid Edge/NX etc. have been doing for years. To do what Ron wants using parametric design I'd snap the circle to one corner, then snap it to the other - literally 4 mouse clicks.

/snooty

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report