AutoSketch
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to insert a jpg in AS10 without a loss of quality?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
siegert.martin
982 Views, 14 Replies

How to insert a jpg in AS10 without a loss of quality?

Hi,

I try to insert a picture from (for example) IrvanView into AS10 by copy and paste. The quality then becomes worse. Is there a way to insert without loosing quality?

Thanks a lot,

Martin

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
pendean
in reply to: siegert.martin

A general rule for ALL applications: you need to start with a high quality image and you must never resize it upwards so that the quality remains intact.

Raster images are drawn with dots: just like that old copier's issue when you try scaling a stamp image to a letter sized sheet, the result is a mess.
Message 3 of 15
siegert.martin
in reply to: pendean

Hi,

I know that, but that does not help me. The quality is still lowered down by the program. Any further ideas?

Thanks

Martin

Message 4 of 15
Zenbu

Are you sure that it is actually degraded?  My first wild guess is not.  And, if so, what do you mean by degraded?   Lower resolution, or just crappy looking?    If you are just looking at it on a monitor, that is not an indicator.    First, the monitor has lower resolution than the image in most cases.   Also the interaction between the pixelation of the image and the pixelaiton of the monitor can create a moire pattern which makes it look really crappy.   You might try different zooms or printing it to see if it's really degraded / what's really happenning.  

Message 5 of 15
StevenMac

Have you tried to print the document to check the actual quality?

I recall this program resizes images based on 'nearest neighbour' interpolation, rather than using some form of smoothing to make things look good. But, it may be ok printed out or viewed at a different zoom level.

Message 6 of 15
siegert.martin
in reply to: Zenbu

Hi Zenbu,

I will show you examples for my problem(s).

I want to paste a photo in AS10 to make a marking or something similar.

This is the original picture:

3888_Irfan_View.jpg

If I paste the original size (e.g. 3888x2592 pixel) in AS10, then it is shown with a 16-color-layer (can't describe it better, see following picture):

3888_AS10.jpg

If I zoom into the picture, the 16-color-layer is gone but I only seea small part from the whole picture.

So I resize it (e.g. 1111x741 pixel) to the following result (zoomed in original):

1111_Irfan_View.jpg

Then I paste this image in AS10 and have the following result:

1111_AS10.jpg

The best solution would be to have the original size without the 16-color-layer.

Can anybody help?

Thanks

Martin

Message 7 of 15
siegert.martin
in reply to: StevenMac

Hi StevenMac,

the printed picture is the same. But I usually use it this way: Insert the picture, make some markings/arrows and so on and then I make a screenshot and paste it in a document. So the screen-resolution should be good.

Thanks

Martin

Message 8 of 15
StevenMac

If you're working with images you may just want to use MS paint (or paint.net free software).

Message 9 of 15
siegert.martin

Well, I already switched to Gimp, but that does not offer the same functions like AS10, so that I still would like to do my work with AS10. But if there is no solution for my problems I cannot do that anymore.

I also want to make sketches of a road from aerial images, but with a down scaled resolution some details are getting lost.

Thanks

Martin

Message 10 of 15
StevenMac

Can you do it in gimp with vectors and insert them in to sketch?

Message 11 of 15
Zenbu

The "problem" that you show is a moire pattern, which relates to display on your monitor.   Nothing that you've shown indicates that the image / autosketch document is degraded.    

Message 12 of 15
Fred9002
in reply to: Zenbu

Zenbu is me (temporarilly lost my log in info).  In short, I don't think that you have a problem; I think the "problem" exists only on your monitor and not in the actual drawing.    

Message 13 of 15
siegert.martin
in reply to: Fred9002

Hi Zenbu,

there always is an HTML-error when I want to post. So I copied my original post to a MS Word document and attach this to this post. I think you can still see what I want to show.

Thanks

Martin

Message 14 of 15

Hi Zenbu,

then let me show you this:

the same picture in AS10 and Irfan view.

Original:

w124testbild.jpg

Then an extract in Irfan View:

w124testbild_ausschnitt_irfan.jpg

Full Image in AS10:

w124testbild_gesamt_AS10.jpg

Extract in AS10:

w124testbild_ausschnitt_AS10.jpg

This cannot be a screen-issue because I dit it all on the same screen. Or can it?

What you can also see: If I copy a big image to AS10 ans zoom out, there is a 16-color-problem. When I zoom in, that does not appear any more.

If you still say it is not an AS10-problem, please let me know what is the problem.

Can anybody try the same thing on her/his computer? 

Thanks

Martin

Message 15 of 15
Fred9002

Zenbut is me, I just temporarily lost my info.    I didn't mean that your monitor is bad.  I meant that what you are seeing is a normal effect that CREATED on the monitor display.  It's called a moire pattern, which (in this case) is a wierd appearance when you display a dot based image on a different dot based device (your screen).  The two patterns combine to create wierd looking patterns.       So IMO what you are seeing is normal and doesn't indicate that you have a problem.   

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report