Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having an issue when entering text in Autosketch 10 using a created template

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
madcrx
999 Views, 8 Replies

Having an issue when entering text in Autosketch 10 using a created template

When using one of our templates with a database setup on it, we also have the need sometimes to enter text into the document that contains characters such as "<<XXXXX".  this causes Autosketch to lock up, not enter any text and then hourglass.  The only way we can get out of it is to Ctrl-Alt+Del and then end program.  Can we do anything to get around this?  It works fine on a new blank document and is fine on the supplied templates which use a database, but it is only a problem on one that we have created.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
000jdi
in reply to: madcrx

Hi madcrx

What are the fields types set to?  Is is String, number or other?  The "string" should handle the "<<XXXX" you are trying to enter?

Regards

Jason

Regards
Jason
Message 3 of 9
madcrx

Hi Jason,

The field types for the database are all strings.

However it is when I am entering that text into the document not the database. It occurs when using the text point (symbol A) and then entering the text that preceeds with "<<" anywhere on the document.  It doesn't occur when ">>" is entered.

It seems to happen on whatever computer we are using here.  Can you recreate it using the attachment posted from the original post.

Brett

Message 4 of 9
000jdi

Hi Brett

It looks like the program uses the << as some internal , i don't know what but because you use xx as you entity field holder , and then enter <<XX as a text point its trying to evaluate it somehow.

So..  If you want to enter <<XXX as text then you need to change your entity field holders to another letter or character other than xx, and then its works as you need it to.

Regards

Jason

Regards
Jason
Message 5 of 9
madcrx

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the response, but I am still having no luck.  I will try to explain it a bit clearer for you.  The problem that I am experiencing occurs when I enter any text preceeding with << (<<xx was an example with the xx meaning anything).

We have a requirement for our variable message boards to display various messages and as such one of the messages is " << Merge Left".

As mentioned above it doesn't matter what the message is, if the text is preceeded with <<, then Autosketch will lock up and the only way out is Ctrl-Alt-Del and then End Program etc..

It is only a problem when entering the text into the document and not the Database enitity fields.  << works okay in these but it is not a requirement for us.

Regards,

Brett

Message 6 of 9
000jdi

Hi Brett

Ok I see what you mean ,  I could open a new drawing type the text and copy and paste into your template as a work around.  Is this all templates you custom made?

After pasting text , renaming the file and saving I can enter <<TExt and it does not lock up.

Regards

Jason

Regards
Jason
Message 7 of 9
madcrx
in reply to: 000jdi

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your help.   We do use another template that is portrait orientation and I have just done the same process to correct that one.  It still has the problem however. 

I can paste the text like you mentioned without a problem, Save and rename the file.  But when I open the newly created file. I still have the problem when enetering any new text.  Even though the pasted text is still there displaying correctly.

The one that you done does not though.  Are you able to do the same to the attached file and this will solve our problem.

It is a bit weird and maybe something to do with our installation or computers?

Regards,

Brett.

Message 8 of 9
000jdi

Hi Brett

I see the issue, your template when you click point text look in the bar and the evaluate as formula is checked.  I unchecked this in the the previuos file I posted before I saved it.  It remembers the setting syou change in this bar.

Here is the other file.  but it is probably that check box being stuck on.

Regards

Jason

Regards
Jason
Message 9 of 9
madcrx
in reply to: 000jdi

Hi Jason,

That was the problem.  Thanks for your help, it is much appreciated.  You are a legend!.  It would have stumped us for a long time, as I never even considered this as causing the issue. Thanks once again.

Regards,

Brett.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report