Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experienced AutoCAD user - AutoSketch Q's

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
lifeofaboat
1490 Views, 7 Replies

Experienced AutoCAD user - AutoSketch Q's

I have been using various versions of AutoCAD since 2000. It has become second nature at this point.

That being said, I am interested in the low cost of AutoSketch, but wary due to lack of a trial version, or even screenshots. I would appreciate input on the following questions:

~ Does AutoSketch support Blocks, or something similar? I'm concerned mostly with the ease of editing a drawing title info, rev block, etc., but it would also be nice for consistently drawing a labeling terminal blocks, electrical devices, etc.
~ Does AutoSketch print line weights (and/or export to PDF)?
~ Are layers vaguely similar in AutoSketch as they are in AutoCAD? Really all I need to know is that you can "freeze" and lock layers, and that changing a layer's property such as color carries that through to all objects on that layer that are in the drawing.

Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Fred9002
in reply to: lifeofaboat

I noticed that nobody answered. A respondent would probably need to know both products because you you defined some of your AS questions by Autocad terminology. I don't know Autocad.

Here's a partial answer.

Starting about AS 9, AS does a good job with line widths. You can define widths that are infinitely thin, a certain actual width (.e.g. .02") or a width in pixels (of the display or printing device). And it does print them. AS 9 does ot have a pdf maker, but you can add one of those in minites with free download pdf makers which then show up as a printer in all applications including AS.

You can lock layers. Don't know about changing existig objects in a layer via changing its properties, but you can easily display and select all objects in a layer and globally make applicable changes.

Hope that helps a little
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

Good afternoon Lifeonaboat;

Sounds like fun, or I'm sure it has its moments as did my tenure in the
navy.

My version of Autosketch is v6, so I can't comment on the latest release
whose merits can be read on the Autodesk website.

wrote in message news:6267601@discussion.autodesk.com...
I have been using various versions of AutoCAD since 2000. It has become
second nature at this point.

~ That being said, I am interested in the low cost of AutoSketch, but wary
due to lack of a trial version, or even screenshots. I would appreciate
input on the following questions:

~ Does AutoSketch support Blocks, or something similar? I'm concerned
mostly with the ease of editing a drawing title info, rev block, etc., but
it would also be nice for consistently drawing a labeling terminal blocks,
electrical devices, etc.

Yes it does, and libraries can be created to accommodate the grouping of
your blocks.

My version of Autosketch basically gives me a Thin plus four Thicker
options, none of which are given an actual line thickness value. v6 does
not export to a PDF.

~ Are layers vaguely similar in AutoSketch as they are in AutoCAD? Really
all I need to know is that you can "freeze" and lock layers, and that
changing a layer's property such as color carries that through to all
objects on that layer that are in the drawing.

They are, and the layers can be masked or hidden. A masked layer is
similar to a ghosted lockout. I tend to use Autocad LT far more, but
Autosketch can do some things that LT cannot.

~ Thanks!

You're welcome.
Message 4 of 8
StevenMac

Line weights print fine. As for PDFs - I have Acrobat distiller installed, and creating .PDF is just a case of FILE > PRINT > PDF > pick your save folder.

Line weight behaviour isn't perfect however. My boss creates instruction manuals and saves time by dragging and dropping drawings directly into MS Word (or importing metadata). Dashed hidden lines tend to spontaneously turn into continuous line style.

Layers are very similar just simplified. I'm sure you'll recognise most of the icons on my screen http://i38.tinypic.com/dokrc2.jpg Edited by: StevenMac on Oct 14, 2009 4:02 AM
Message 5 of 8
DVNT

~ Does AutoSketch support Blocks, or something similar? I'm concerned mostly with the ease of editing a drawing title info, rev block, etc., but it would also be nice for consistently drawing a labeling terminal blocks, electrical devices, etc

Do you mean 'Symbols'? If you mean symbols, yes in Autosketch you can create and save symbols to a library for future use. Very easy to create symbols and use them.

Yes I do this every day, but you need a PDF writer, even an old one, that allows you to print to PDF as it would in any other windows program like word etc. Make sure in your PDF printing prefernces your settings are at least 300dpi for resolution and scaling is 100%.

~ Are layers vaguely similar in AutoSketch as they are in AutoCAD? Really all I need to know is that you can "freeze" and lock layers, and that changing a layer's property such as color carries that through to all objects on that layer that are in the drawing.

Autosketch handles layers very well and they are fully editable. Changes do effect everything on the layer if you use 'by layer' properties for your lines etc. ie you can draw any line as per the layers properties of line thickness, colour, style, etc. You can draw any individual line to any properties even on the same layer. You can change this at any time, by highlighting any area of work and selecting any variation of properties you like, including 'by layer' standards. You can background, mask and even lock layer changes. I haven't used Auto Cad, but I've seen it and they do seem to be the same, however I've noticed AutoCad users seem to have more issues with layer management than I do.

Remember Autosketch is a windows based program so its dead easy to use and is highly under-rated. It is a 2D CAD package though. Even if it was 3D, I wouldn't use the 3D though. Edited by: DVNT on Oct 24, 2009 3:35 AM
Message 6 of 8
askotlen

I have used Autosketch 9 and it's predecessors since 1986. Autosketch was born as a product called Drafix Cad and was the first Windows cad program in version 4, I think. Ultimately bought by Autodesk, many of the features in this produce have been integrated into Autosketch and I understand Autocad.
Blocks, You can group things and treat them as one entity.
PDF. you need a pdf printer. I use Acrobat professional
Line weights. There are pixil line weights or thichness line weights and they print. Only problem is when an autosketch drawing is saved in dwg format for use by autocad the line weights are lost.
Layers. Can create, lock, mask layers and change properties of layers easily. In layers you have a by layer property, color, line weight, line type. which can be used or changed by layer or by individual entity if you like.
Message 7 of 8

I have AutoSketch - Version 9.0 and yes... This is still a problem!!! It is really a #@*^~!?! problem since AutoDesk toutes the following feature:

Compatibility
DWG Support—Because AutoSketch drawings are DWG™ format compatible, you can create and view AutoCAD drawings for enhanced collaboration with colleagues and clients.

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!

unless you don't care about line weights or styles!!!!!

Big disapointment here!!!!!!!

Did they fix this for Version 10?
Message 8 of 8

My last post was regarding this issue:

Only problem is when an autosketch drawing is saved in dwg format for use by autocad the line weights are lost.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report