Did you mean: 

DWG and DXF files open and setting the scale in AutoSketch 10

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
2008 Views, 4 Replies

DWG and DXF files open and setting the scale in AutoSketch 10

Hi,

I have been sent some DWG and DXF files which open ok in AutoSketch 10, when I first open them I get a message about which measurement type to use for the linear scale factor.  I have tried a few options on this but when I go to check a measurement on the drawing it either appears to large or to small for the item I am measuring.  The drawings should all be in mm or m but trying these scale factors does not seem to work.

I have some CAD experience but am still a beginner, please can you help so I can accuratley import and set drawing up in AutoSketch.

Many thanks in advance,

Ant

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
StevenMac
in reply to: Anonymous

Ant can you post one up. You'll have to rename the file to something else so the forum allows it (.doc worked for another user)

Message 3 of 5
StevenMac

My understanding of scaling in AS is dubious, but I can at least tell you what I do know...

The pdf shows it to be A3 - 297mm x 420mm - 11.69" x 16.54" (landscape).

Autosketch has a serious bug, or some arsed-about way of treating paper (or I'm clueless as to how it actually works) but basically you need to set your printer to be in the same format as your drawing BEFORE you open an old document in sketch.

For example: If I open this A3 drawing right now on this computer, autosketch will shrink it to fit the default printer setting - A4 portrait - http://i54.tinypic.com/211uqva.jpg

To get around this I set my default printer (ADOBE PDF maker) to A3 landscape and now the drawing will open to the correct size and orientation - http://i56.tinypic.com/21nozg4.jpg

Using the dimension tool, the building is 19'13" (~6.12m) wide.

The drawing specifies a scale of 100:1

However in TOOLS > DRAWING OPTIONS > SCALE, the user is using a scale of 1" = 2.856..." So the 100:1 drawing has been scaled down inside sketch to fit onto A3 paper.

This is as far as I can help - I would have thought you'd scale the drawing to 300:1 if you wanted it to fit onto A3.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: StevenMac

Hi Steven,

Thank you very much for the quick and informative reply!

I take it AutoDesk knows about these issue's and surely they are working on a patch?  If not who would be best to report this to so it can be resolved?

Best regards,

Ant

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

Hi,

my name is paul and I'am having a problem with transferring my AutoCAD 2009 drawings into Autosketch 10. My drawings are scaled 1" to 1' in AutoCAD. If anyone has any helpful advice I will really appreciate it.

Thank you

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report