Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drafix 4.0 to AS9 or TurboCAD?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
532 Views, 14 Replies

Drafix 4.0 to AS9 or TurboCAD?

I have been using Drafix 3 & 4.0, all alone, with no compatriots for a decade until I found this site today.

I have lost the Drafix CD during a move, and recently I lost the Hard Drive to my (now) older system. I was able to edit the registry to "reinstall" from my backup drive, but its not the same anymore.

I'm going to be using TurboCAD, but I'm curious about AutoSketch. Can I use AS9 to open *.CAD files and save them to any modern format? I really liked Drafix, but reading 100's of posts today makes me think twice about getting AS8 or 9. I've got 100's of drawings (*.CAD format) and my company will pay for AS9 if I want it. Drafix does not output a legible DXF for me to import into something else.

Any suggestions?

Greg Yent
San Diego, CA
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I know how you feel - all alone in the big Autocad world but fear not there are still a lot of Drafix/AS users and this is the place to meet them... If you liked Drafix then you will probably also like Autosketch as it's basically the same program with some features added and others removed. Don't be put off too much by the negative comments you read here - there are a lot of old Drafix users that resented Autodesk buying out Drafix, me included. But at the end of the day Drafix is still here in AS disguise and it does have some useful new functions IMHO... Yes AS can open cad files and save them as cad or autosketch or dwg or dxf, even as pdf(?) so you shouldn't have any problems with your old cad files. Personally I don't think Turbocad is a patch on ASketch - if you are not moving up to A'cad or LT then I would stay with Asketch, you will love it. "Drafix40" wrote in message news:11592319.1093319658146.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > I have been using Drafix 3 & 4.0, all alone, with no compatriots for a decade until I found this site today. > > I have lost the Drafix CD during a move, and recently I lost the Hard Drive to my (now) older system. I was able to edit the registry to "reinstall" from my backup drive, but its not the same anymore. > > I'm going to be using TurboCAD, but I'm curious about AutoSketch. Can I use AS9 to open *.CAD files and save them to any modern format? I really liked Drafix, but reading 100's of posts today makes me think twice about getting AS8 or 9. I've got 100's of drawings (*.CAD format) and my company will pay for AS9 if I want it. Drafix does not output a legible DXF for me to import into something else. > > Any suggestions? > > Greg Yent > San Diego, CA
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous

Drafix40 wrote: > I have been using Drafix 3 & 4.0, all alone, with no compatriots for a decade until I found this site today. Welcome aboard. > I'm going to be using TurboCAD, but I'm curious about AutoSketch. TurboCAD is a good program. TCad can handle 3D and Xref's but does not always read all the AutoCAD entities that I receive in drawings. I find AutoSketch much better for 2D drawings. >Can I use AS9 to open *.CAD files and save them to any modern format? Yes. >I really liked Drafix, but reading 100's of posts today makes me think twice about getting AS8 or 9. AS9 does most things well. If you read through a number of the post you'll find there are very specific issues that AutoDesk has not addressed. Transfer of text to DWG format is not aligned properly - that is my biggest gripe.
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous

Go for AutoSketch! Note that former Drafix was converted into AutoSketc 5, and so on it use exactly the same commands as Drafix.
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous

Go for AutoCAD LT.....you can do more with it AND be more productive at the same time. The bottom line is that the same learning curve is required. Ric Norris. http://users.bigpond.net.au/cavedrawings "drafix" wrote in message news:26431027.1093425338086.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Go for AutoSketch! Note that former Drafix was converted into AutoSketc 5, and so on it use exactly the same commands as Drafix.
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous

Ric Norris wrote: > Go for AutoCAD LT.....you can do more with it AND be more productive at the > same time. > > The bottom line is that the same learning curve is required. > Drafix to AutoSketch - very little learning curve Drafix to AutoCAD - sign up for 10 week course on how to use AutoCAD. I find it useful to have both AutoSketch and AutoCAD LT. AutoCAD LT allows you to check DWG files you send out. You can also see what files coming in are supposed to look like before reading them into AutoSketch. However I find I draw much faster in AutoSketch. AutoCad is too complicated.
Message 7 of 15
Anonymous

What a load of crap. I taught myself AutoCAD/LT.....followed up by a 3 day advance course and can therefore produce drawings much faster than working in QC/AS. Where's direct input.....where's a command line. To draw a line in QC/AS, one has to draw one, then edit it to size/specification. If it takes 10 weeks for you guys to learn the LT basics, there must be something wrong with the local syllabus. Why would you want 2 CAD programs to check/see things being imported/exported. For a start you can't see what's coming in from AutoCAD/LT because AutoSketch doesn't support XREFS plus numerous other issues, such as custom line styles/shapes etc. What about Paper Space.....??? What a bloody great idea that is. Damn shame AutoSketch doesn't support that either. As far as checking before they are "sent out"....we all know that poses problems as well, ie text formatting. I also taught myself QuickCAD/AutoSketch.....no advance courses for either. The sad side of that is I conduct inhouse training courses for our numerous national users in the use of QuickCAD. And what a pain in the arse that is....how can one teach something one doesn't enjoy....???!!! Sad. The twain will not simply meet. GO LT.....anyday.....!!!! Ric Norris. http://users.bigpond.net.au/cavedrawings "Len Rafuse" wrote in message news:412c6798$1_1@newsprd01... > > > Ric Norris wrote: > > > Go for AutoCAD LT.....you can do more with it AND be more productive at the > > same time. > > > > The bottom line is that the same learning curve is required. > > > Drafix to AutoSketch - very little learning curve > > Drafix to AutoCAD - sign up for 10 week course on how to use AutoCAD. > > I find it useful to have both AutoSketch and AutoCAD LT. AutoCAD LT > allows you to check DWG files you send out. You can also see what files > coming in are supposed to look like before reading them into AutoSketch. > > However I find I draw much faster in AutoSketch. AutoCad is too > complicated. >
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous

> The sad side of that is I conduct inhouse training courses for our numerous > national users in the use of QuickCAD. And what a pain in the arse that > is....how can one teach something one doesn't enjoy....???!!! Sad. Well Ric feel free to send them here to me in Melb - I love showing folk how quick and easy AS/Quickcad is, I get a real buzz from showing people the amazing capabilities of such a 'cheap' piece of software that easily runs on a 3 yr old laptop... Not that I have done much 'training' but the ones that really appreciate it are the poor sods that have been struggling for a week trying to learn Autocad with just a '10 easy steps' 2" thick teach yourself manual and still haven't managed to draw a line to scale and in the right direction... Seriously, I would really enjoy helping you out and I'm not that busy at the moment... 🙂
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous

Appreciate your offer.....unfortunately, the training is part of my job description & that's why I have to suffer. The boss wouldn't appreciate me palming it off. Besides, I conduct the courses as per our industry. I am off to Adelaide next week to attack another group of victims.....hopefully that will be the last for a while. Personally, I would like to see AS9 working properly. Until it is, I ain't dealing with it and/or promoting it. Cheers, Ric. http://users.bigpond.net.au/cavedrawings "AngryofMayfair" wrote in message news:412c8892_1@newsprd01... > > > The sad side of that is I conduct inhouse training courses for our > numerous > > national users in the use of QuickCAD. And what a pain in the arse that > > is....how can one teach something one doesn't enjoy....???!!! Sad. > > Well Ric feel free to send them here to me in Melb - I love showing folk how > quick and easy AS/Quickcad is, I get a real buzz from showing people the > amazing capabilities of such a 'cheap' piece of software that easily runs on > a 3 yr old laptop... > Not that I have done much 'training' but the ones that really appreciate it > are the poor sods that have been struggling for a week trying to learn > Autocad with just a '10 easy steps' 2" thick teach yourself manual and still > haven't managed to draw a line to scale and in the right direction... > > Seriously, I would really enjoy helping you out and I'm not that busy at the > moment... :-) >
Message 10 of 15
Anonymous

Thanks to all who replied. I will still use Drafix as my day to day drawing package because I have 10 years worth of macros and symbols, including Ordinate dimensions and ANSI 1994 Y14.5M standard symbols. I do need the 3D solids for only a few items, so I have TurboCAD just for that. For $120USD, I'll give Autosketch a shot. Maybe I can work around not having the macros. As far as AutoCAD is concerned, I've been using it since v8.0 or 9.0 (1987), but I prefer Drafix to get my drawings done fast.
Message 11 of 15
Anonymous

Ric Norris wrote: > What a load of crap. No it isn't. AutoSketch can be learned from the 6 minute tutorials. We could not really use AutoCAD until one woman here took a 3 month course in it. > > I taught myself AutoCAD/LT.....followed up by a 3 day advance course and can > therefore produce drawings much faster than working in QC/AS. Where's > direct input.....where's a command line. To draw a line in QC/AS, one has > to draw one, then edit it to size/specification. AS direct input - Use Absolute and relative input. Command line? What a pain in the ass. Windows based drop down menus and keyboard short cuts are much easier. I do not want to memorize commands so I can type them in. > Why would you want 2 CAD programs to check/see things being > imported/exported. For a start you can't see what's coming in from > AutoCAD/LT because AutoSketch doesn't support XREFS plus numerous other > issues, such as custom line styles/shapes etc. AutoSketch IS easier to use. Plus your entire drawing is one file with no XREFs. When you send it to some one it is complete. You do not need to send 6 other files and have them in the correct directory structure for a drawing to show up correctly. > > What about Paper Space.....??? What a bloody great idea that is. Damn > shame AutoSketch doesn't support that either. I do not need pieces of my drawing scattered all over the place. I want to see my final product as I draw it. Paper space does not aid this. And at the end of the day, Ric and I still disagree. No Surprise there.
Message 12 of 15
Anonymous

Second hand information from a woman...??? No wonder you can't understand the Model/Paper Space concept....!!!! Ric Norris. http://users.bigpond.net.au/cavedrawings "Len Rafuse" wrote in message news:413319d4$1_1@newsprd01... > > > Ric Norris wrote: >> What a load of crap. > > No it isn't. AutoSketch can be learned from the 6 minute tutorials. We > could not really use AutoCAD until one woman here took a 3 month course in > it. >> >> I taught myself AutoCAD/LT.....followed up by a 3 day advance course and >> can >> therefore produce drawings much faster than working in QC/AS. Where's >> direct input.....where's a command line. To draw a line in QC/AS, one >> has >> to draw one, then edit it to size/specification. > > AS direct input - Use Absolute and relative input. > > Command line? What a pain in the ass. Windows based drop down menus and > keyboard short cuts are much easier. I do not want to memorize commands > so I can type them in. > >> Why would you want 2 CAD programs to check/see things being >> imported/exported. For a start you can't see what's coming in from >> AutoCAD/LT because AutoSketch doesn't support XREFS plus numerous other >> issues, such as custom line styles/shapes etc. > > AutoSketch IS easier to use. Plus your entire drawing is one file with no > XREFs. When you send it to some one it is complete. You do not need to > send 6 other files and have them in the correct directory structure for a > drawing to show up correctly. >> >> What about Paper Space.....??? What a bloody great idea that is. Damn >> shame AutoSketch doesn't support that either. > > I do not need pieces of my drawing scattered all over the place. I want > to see my final product as I draw it. Paper space does not aid this. > > > And at the end of the day, Ric and I still disagree. No Surprise there. >
Message 13 of 15
Anonymous

Drafix40 wrote: > As far as AutoCAD is concerned, I've been using it since v8.0 or 9.0 (1987), but I prefer Drafix to get my drawings done fast. That's what I keep saying.
Message 14 of 15
Anonymous

Drafix is DEAD.....get over it.....!!!! http://users.bigpond.net.au/cavedrawings "Len Rafuse" wrote in message news:41331e9b$1_1@newsprd01... > > > Drafix40 wrote: > >> As far as AutoCAD is concerned, I've been using it since v8.0 or 9.0 >> (1987), but I prefer Drafix to get my drawings done fast. > > That's what I keep saying. >
Message 15 of 15
Anonymous

Drafix is dead.....Long live Drafix! Drafix lives as the backbone of AutoSketch. Ric Norris wrote: > Drafix is DEAD.....get over it.....!!!! > http://users.bigpond.net.au/cavedrawings > > > "Len Rafuse" wrote in message > news:41331e9b$1_1@newsprd01... > >> >>Drafix40 wrote: >> >> >>>As far as AutoCAD is concerned, I've been using it since v8.0 or 9.0 >>>(1987), but I prefer Drafix to get my drawings done fast. >> >>That's what I keep saying. >> > > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report