Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimensioned details

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
452 Views, 4 Replies

Dimensioned details

I'd like to be able to take tiny parts of a drawing and show them on the same drawing as scaled details of a larger size, as described in Saving and Recalling Views and Viewing Drawing Details. I want the details to be dimensioned, but I don't want those dimensions cluttering up the drawing itself. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks,

John
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

It's hard to give critique without seeing your drafting style.

Blow the detailed view up to a larger scale?

Have a second copy of the detail view without any annotation?

Here's something I'm working on at the moment - http://i50.tinypic.com/2wbz04k.jpg
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

Steven,

Your drawing shows exactly what I am asking how to do: an enlarged dimensioned detail of a small portion of the whole. Could you tell me how you did it? How do you auto-dimension the detail without the same part of the drawing being auto-dimensioned?

John
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

1) I do my regular 1:1 drawing first - outlines + hidden lines + centrelines, but no hatching or annotations

2) I then make a second copy of the drawing (or just of the section of interest)

3) I scale the copy to 2x or 3x (or whatever you want)

4) Delete any unwanted bits and draw a circle around the scaled view

5) Add hatch patterns to the 1:1 view, then add hatch to the detailed view (scale up the detailed view's hatch by right clicking it > entities > hatch scale 2 or whatever)

6) Dimension and annotate the 1:1 drawing

7) Add dimensions to the detailed view and manually enter the correct length value. Right click the dimension > entities > dimension tab > delete the "greater than, less than" symbol and type the correct figure

There's nothing automatic in anything I do, but we wouldn't be here if we could afford the competition's software. Edited by: StevenMac on Feb 27, 2010 9:06 AM
Message 5 of 5
000jdi

HI John
The detail view option in AutoSketch is nice but incomplete as designed , it seems you can only create views that are images and they update as you turn layers on/off and add dimensions. It was a nice tool in its day but since its hasen't been updated in many,many years.

Another work around

Create your geometry save file example "mainfile.skf"

Save to another file name. "mainfile_details.skf"

In the 2nd file you save as a copy of the first add the dimension you would want to see in a detail view.

Then create the detail views you want.

You can then copy the detail views and paste as linked into your main file.

If they are inserted as linked they will update if you need to change your details.

This keeps the detail views that you can scale and the dimension separate so you can control a little better.

Disadvantages you have 2 files to keep up with. ie you would have to modify the geometry and paste it to the 2nd file if you need to change.

Advantage you have detail views you can control with the detail view tools of AutoSketch.

Regards Jason

Edited by: 000jdi on Feb 27, 2010 1:37 PM
Regards
Jason

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report