Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert legacy V2.1 SKD files to DWG

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
Garry_Lelliott
17800 Views, 17 Replies

Convert legacy V2.1 SKD files to DWG

We have many legacy V2.1 .SKD files (yes, they really are that old!) and cannot find a viewer/program that can run on Windows 7 which can open these files AND allow us to save back as DWG files. I have looked at previous threads, bu the SKD files in question appear to be more recent than V2.1.

Also, I am lead to believe that the latest version of Autosketch does not support V2.1 SKD files.

We have also investigated having the SKD files exported as a batch process to DWG, but cannot find a cost-effective solution down that route either.

Any suggestions anyone?

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
StevenMac
in reply to: Garry_Lelliott

Most of the forum 'old timers' don't seem to be coming back to the forum anymore.

At work we have over 5,000 v2.1 drawings that I open with sketch 10 (XP, Win7 32 and x64) and manually cleanup as needed - hatched areas, dotted lines, dimensions and fonts, mostly.

DWG may or may not be troublesome so keep DXF in mind. Pay some drafting students from a local college?

Message 3 of 18
Garry_Lelliott
in reply to: StevenMac

Thanks for the info. SteveMac. I have asked my IT department to purchase a copy of AutoSketch V10. Although it looks like AutoSketch is no longer offered by Autodesk, it has GOT to be better than what we struggle with currently.

We have 1000's of legacy AutoSketch drawings but, mercifully, they are required to be converted on an infrequent basis, but trying to trying to do the exports out of V2.1 is a ridiculously time-consuming process.

I am surprised that you consider DWG to be less reliable than DXF. My experience with exports from other packages is quite the reverse!

Message 4 of 18
Garry_Lelliott

The saga continues!

After badgering my IT department for a copy of AutoSketch V10, I finally get time to install it, attempt to open an SKD file and get the following message:

Can't read old versions of SKD files. Files must be converted to AutoSketch for Windows Release 2.0 or later

If it didn't result in me waking up my colleagues, I would scream. I am now going to find a nice sturdy wall to bash my head against!!

Come on Autodesk, there must be a utility somewhere in your archives that allows us long-standing users to migrate data from one product to another. I would laugh at this situation if I had not just wasted £200+ on V10 of AutoSketch, and countless hours of research looking for a solution to this problem.

Message 5 of 18
drafixott

Hi, AS10 can open files of type v2..x, see below. When opening, convert to AS native format *.skf og *.dwg.

best regards

Øyvind Takle

civil engineer

drafix.jpg

Message 6 of 18
StevenMac
in reply to: drafixott

Garry can you email one over:

stevenmacerakjnr 'at' hotmail 'd0+' com

Message 7 of 18
Garry_Lelliott
in reply to: drafixott

Øyvind

No luck, AutoSketch refuses to open our legacy files, even when selecting the v2.x option.

Message 8 of 18
Garry_Lelliott

Steven

Email flying through cyberspace as I type! I have included 3 files created on different dates.

Message 9 of 18
StevenMac

I'll reply here rather than just respond via email.

I think you have some VERY old files that probably* need to be converted before you even attempt to open them with 'sketch (as in your files are older than v2.1).

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=2523539&linkID=9243019

^ I can't install that exe on my Win7 64bit machine, so can't test wether they will convert over.

Do you have access to a 32bit XP or W98/95 machine?

*I say probably because I'm not familiar with sketch files that old, just going off long term memory from what I read off the forum several years ago.

Message 10 of 18
Garry_Lelliott

Steven

Apologies for not responding sooner, demands on my time are exceeding those available in 24 hours at the moment!!

Yes, I have access to a 32bit XP machine, in fact that is what AS 2.1 is loaded on, but to call v2.1 clunky would be far wide of the mark. What I was hoping for is that SOMEWHERE out there was a utility that could bulk-convert my old files, either to a more recent version of AS or to DWG (the ultimate point of the exercise) but it looks like it is a one-at-a-time process, which would see me up to retirement, providing I retire at the age of about 118!!

I know you can download AS v2.1fc from Autodesk, which is for file conversion of older files, but it still works on the OAAT principle so I am not really gaining much with it.

I guess I will have to bite the bullet and accept that there are very limited options available for handling aged AS files, that is unless Autodesk take pity on me and writes a utility to do mass-conversions!!!

Thanks for all your help anyway. At least now I feel I am not bashing my head against a brick wall quite as much as before!!!

Message 11 of 18
StevenMac

We have several thousand old sketch files at work spanning a decade. It wasn't until I started working there in 2009 that they upgraded to 10 at my insistance.

You have my empathy!

Message 12 of 18
PA_Kayaker

Our company is also looking for a way to convert these files.  We have old SKD & SKF files that need to be converted to DWG.  It was during the process of converting everyone over to Windows 7 that we discovered this issue.  Same as Gary, we discover this here and there, but we do not currently have an easy way to get to all of these files at once.  I had also suggested that we bring in interns or co-ops to convert all of these files, but this is not currently in our budget, and we don't feel that we should have to go to such great expensive and time consuming lengths to use these files.

This seems to be something that AutoDesk should work on.  In most programs (Windows, Microsoft, AutoCAD), there is no issue with opening old files using new software.  Why is this so special?  It makes us very reluctant to use other AutoDesk programs, knowing that in a few years there is a possibility that we will not be able to access our old files.  Any help that we can get would be greatly appreciated.

Tags (3)
Message 13 of 18
pendean

Autosketch was never a universal format: why did you all commit no resources at the time to saving your files in more universal formats?
Even back in the day both DWG and DXF were universal, as were TIFF and PDF. I am completely sympathetic with your plight but your company walked into that one with both eyes open. Hindsight is a painful reality.

Like you all, Autodesk has also chosen not to dedicate resources for a conversion tool to serve a vocal but small minority. Both your company and Autodesk are caught up in the same quandary. I do believe you know the only true solution is what you outlined. Best wishes on your endeavors.
Message 14 of 18

I have done the conversion on my Autosketch 9. By opening 9 and searching in 2.1 WSKETCH2 you can open the SKD drawing and then save it as a DWG using Autosketch 9. For some reason You have to change some print setup orders in 9 so the drawing will print out correctly.

You or another computer junkie may figure out how to manipulate the converted drawing so the print command doesn't drive you crazy, maybe a hot key function, but anyway, it does convert SKD to DWG.

Max Roeder

Tags (1)
Message 15 of 18
apcolor

I run Autosketch 2.1 all the the time with no trouble.  I am using "VMware® Workstation 12 Player" to make a "Virtual Machine" (VM) on my Windows 8.1 PC.  You may find it free.

Please get back to me and let me know if this helps.

Anthony Colorafi 

Message 16 of 18
speedijim
in reply to: apcolor

Hi Anthony,    I saw your post re vmware.   I was able to download and install a free version but I don't know what to do next.   Can you help me with this?  Are you located in Easton PA?  I am trying to install and  run autodesk autosketch on my windows 10 pc...

Thanks!   Jim   Allentown, PA

Message 17 of 18
apcolor
in reply to: speedijim

Jim,

It's been over a year since I set up AutoSketch Rel 2.0 with VMware. It
does work great. I forgot most of the details. though. Let me know what
is the problem you are having. Maybe, I can help you a bit. You can get
in touch with me direct apcolor@gmail.com. I have the software running on
Windows 8.2.

I LOVE AUTOSKETCH!!! It's so easy to use. Good luck.

Anthony
Message 18 of 18
thixoman

Hi

if you still having probs 

rely to post, ,

or, , ,

email  crosby_a@hotmail.com

or, ,

text 403 899 2237

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report