AutoSketch

Reply
*Smith, Steve
Message 1 of 13 (169 Views)

Autosketch 8?

169 Views, 12 Replies
12-12-2001 02:58 AM
Does anyone know what happened to release 8? I actually saw it on the
Autodesk store web page the other day; now it is back to release 7 being
all one can purchase.

I'm using release 2.1, which I am very happy with. I have read the
various posts about people's low satisfaction in upgrading from 2.1, but
I don't see any choice. Since we moved to Windows ME I can no longer
print from 2.1, bummer. The only other option I am considering is any
decent 2D cad program under Linux. There don't seem to be any reasonable
ones until you get into the $400 price range. Qcad is close, but it
doesn't print to an accurate scale, which I find incredibly useful in
Autosketch.

Suggestions and comments welcome.

Steve Smith
Loveland, Colorado
*Selzer, Gerhard
Message 2 of 13 (169 Views)

Re: Autosketch 8?

12-12-2001 05:08 AM in reply to: *Smith, Steve
Steve,

I thought, I was the only one who could not find out anything
about R8.
Was not in a big hurry, wanted to wait until the mysterious
12 point revelation anyway.

Gerhard

Steve Smith wrote:
>
> Does anyone know what happened to release 8? I actually saw it on the
> Autodesk store web page the other day; now it is back to release 7 being
> all one can purchase.
>
> I'm using release 2.1, which I am very happy with. I have read the
> various posts about people's low satisfaction in upgrading from 2.1, but
> I don't see any choice. Since we moved to Windows ME I can no longer
> print from 2.1, bummer. The only other option I am considering is any
> decent 2D cad program under Linux. There don't seem to be any reasonable
> ones until you get into the $400 price range. Qcad is close, but it
> doesn't print to an accurate scale, which I find incredibly useful in
> Autosketch.
>
> Suggestions and comments welcome.
>
> Steve Smith
> Loveland, Colorado
*Rafuse, L.
Message 3 of 13 (169 Views)

Re: Autosketch 8?

12-12-2001 05:43 AM in reply to: *Smith, Steve
Steve Smith wrote:

> Qcad is close, but it
> doesn't print to an accurate scale, which I find incredibly useful in
> Autosketch.

A Cad program that does not print to scale? Those programers need a few
dope slaps.

--
Len Rafuse
Vision Engineering
Valued Contributor
mitch
Posts: 81
Registered: ‎06-30-2002
Message 4 of 13 (169 Views)

Re: Autosketch 8?

12-12-2001 08:56 AM in reply to: *Smith, Steve
Hi Steve what about this link?
http://estore.autodesk.com/dr/v2/ec_MAIN.Entry17c?CID=0&PN=5&SP=10007&SID=19515&PID=358691&DSP=&CUR=840&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=0
Tom
*Smith, Steve
Message 5 of 13 (169 Views)

Re:

12-12-2001 11:59 PM in reply to: *Smith, Steve
Are you able to get through on this link? It takes forever just to load
a skelaton (where stuff is going to show up in an eon or so).

Steve

mitch wrote:

> Hi Steve what about this link?
> http://estore.autodesk.com/dr/
> 2/ec_MAIN.Entry17c?CID=0&PN=5&SP=10007&SID=19515&PID=358691&DSP=&CUR=840&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=0
>
> Tom
*Selzer, Gerhard
Message 6 of 13 (169 Views)

Re:

12-12-2001 11:59 PM in reply to: *Smith, Steve
Steve,

I had no problem to open it by clicking on the link
Tom provided.
Made it Bookmark until Paul reviews R8 and enlightens
us.

Gerhard


Steve Smith wrote:
>
> Are you able to get through on this link? It takes forever just to load
> a skelaton (where stuff is going to show up in an eon or so).
>
> Steve
>
> mitch wrote:
>
> > Hi Steve what about this link?
> > http://estore.autodesk.com/dr/
> > 2/ec_MAIN.Entry17c?CID=0&PN=5&SP=10007&SID=19515&PID=358691&DSP=&CUR=840&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=0
> >
> > Tom
*Smith, Steve
Message 7 of 13 (169 Views)

Re:

12-13-2001 12:44 AM in reply to: *Smith, Steve
Most of the page did finally come up. Must be some kind of bottleneck between me and Autodesk. I
too am awaiting the review.

Steve

Gerhard Selzer wrote:

> Steve,
>
> I had no problem to open it by clicking on the link
> Tom provided.
> Made it Bookmark until Paul reviews R8 and enlightens
> us.
>
> Gerhard
>
> Steve Smith wrote:
> >
> > Are you able to get through on this link? It takes forever just to load
> > a skelaton (where stuff is going to show up in an eon or so).
> >
> > Steve
> >
> > mitch wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Steve what about this link?
> > > http://estore.autodesk.com/dr/
> > > 2/ec_MAIN.Entry17c?CID=0&PN=5&SP=10007&SID=19515&PID=358691&DSP=&CUR=840&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=0
> > >
> > > Tom
*Support], Greig Jones [Autodesk Product
Message 8 of 13 (169 Views)

Re:

12-13-2001 06:49 AM in reply to: *Smith, Steve
Gerhard,

If you are referring to the list of items that marketing and development
looked at while selecting the features wanted most, unfortunately we don't
publish our defect lists at this time for any product that Autodesk develops
that I personally am aware of.

I do realize there is a great deal of desire to have macros back in the
product. A little history here: Macros were removed from the product when it
was still owned by Softdesk resultant from the complexity it took to support
them. Autodesk purchased and inherited a "Macroless" product when we bought
out Softdesk and it has remained that way. It does not mean that your
wishlist requests go unnoticed by Marketing and Support. The same holds true
for lineweights. There is a huge disappointment for the lack of WYSIWYG
lineweights. Enabling this feature would require a file format change making
it a true dwg format instead of a filter that is presently used (again
inherited from Softdesk times) Development costs to do this would have
resulted in a large increase in the price of the product(s) and for the
intended market that was deemed unacceptable at this time. That does not
mean that it will not occur in a future release, just not now.

Did you know that AutoSketch 8 and QC8 were the first Autodesk Products to
be specifically designed for Windows XP. You also have the option of looking
into the "Make Compatible" feature of Windows XP. However, do keep in mind
that functionality is not supported by Autodesk Product Support and we would
have rely on you and Microsoft to make it work.

Being a member of the Core Team for AutoSketch 8 and QC8 I hope this answers
some of your questions regarding these two products that we are very proud
of. Keep them coming so we can generate a list of requests for version 9.

--
Greig Jones [autodesk product support]
"Gerhard Selzer" wrote in message
news:3C17C73E.4159CEF7@bellsouth.net...
> Steve,
>
> I thought, I was the only one who could not find out anything
> about R8.
> Was not in a big hurry, wanted to wait until the mysterious
> 12 point revelation anyway.
>
> Gerhard
>
> Steve Smith wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone know what happened to release 8? I actually saw it on the
> > Autodesk store web page the other day; now it is back to release 7 being
> > all one can purchase.
> >
> > I'm using release 2.1, which I am very happy with. I have read the
> > various posts about people's low satisfaction in upgrading from 2.1, but
> > I don't see any choice. Since we moved to Windows ME I can no longer
> > print from 2.1, bummer. The only other option I am considering is any
> > decent 2D cad program under Linux. There don't seem to be any reasonable
> > ones until you get into the $400 price range. Qcad is close, but it
> > doesn't print to an accurate scale, which I find incredibly useful in
> > Autosketch.
> >
> > Suggestions and comments welcome.
> >
> > Steve Smith
> > Loveland, Colorado
*Support], Greig Jones [Autodesk Product
Message 9 of 13 (169 Views)

Re:

12-13-2001 06:51 AM in reply to: *Smith, Steve
If you are using Microsoft Internet Explorer 6, try Tools > Internet
Options. Make sure the Security and Privacy tabs are set to default.

--
Greig Jones [autodesk product support]
"Steve Smith" wrote in message
news:3C18DAFA.E320CE97@fairchildsemi.com...
> Most of the page did finally come up. Must be some kind of bottleneck
between me and Autodesk. I
> too am awaiting the review.
>
> Steve
>
> Gerhard Selzer wrote:
>
> > Steve,
> >
> > I had no problem to open it by clicking on the link
> > Tom provided.
> > Made it Bookmark until Paul reviews R8 and enlightens
> > us.
> >
> > Gerhard
> >
> > Steve Smith wrote:
> > >
> > > Are you able to get through on this link? It takes forever just to
load
> > > a skelaton (where stuff is going to show up in an eon or so).
> > >
> > > Steve
> > >
> > > mitch wrote:
> > >
> > > > Hi Steve what about this link?
> > > > http://estore.autodesk.com/dr/
> > > >
2/ec_MAIN.Entry17c?CID=0&PN=5&SP=10007&SID=19515&PID=358691&DSP=&CUR=840&PGR
P=0&CACHE_ID=0
> > > >
> > > > Tom
>
*Smith, Steve
Message 10 of 13 (169 Views)

Re:

12-13-2001 06:51 AM in reply to: *Smith, Steve
Thanks for the suggestion; I'm on Netscape.

Per your other post, rather than spend time on WindowsXP (I know, you don't have
much choice), why not come out with a Linux version? That's what I would really
like--AS 2.1 functionality on Linux. I'd even pay more for the Linux version.

Steve Smith

"Greig Jones [Autodesk Product Support]" wrote:

> If you are using Microsoft Internet Explorer 6, try Tools > Internet
> Options. Make sure the Security and Privacy tabs are set to default.
>
> --
> Greig Jones [autodesk product support]
> "Steve Smith" wrote in message
> news:3C18DAFA.E320CE97@fairchildsemi.com...
> > Most of the page did finally come up. Must be some kind of bottleneck
> between me and Autodesk. I
> > too am awaiting the review.
> >
> > Steve
> >
> > Gerhard Selzer wrote:
> >
> > > Steve,
> > >
> > > I had no problem to open it by clicking on the link
> > > Tom provided.
> > > Made it Bookmark until Paul reviews R8 and enlightens
> > > us.
> > >
> > > Gerhard
> > >
> > > Steve Smith wrote:
> > > >
> > > > Are you able to get through on this link? It takes forever just to
> load
> > > > a skelaton (where stuff is going to show up in an eon or so).
> > > >
> > > > Steve
> > > >
> > > > mitch wrote:
> > > >
> > > > > Hi Steve what about this link?
> > > > > http://estore.autodesk.com/dr/
> > > > >
> 2/ec_MAIN.Entry17c?CID=0&PN=5&SP=10007&SID=19515&PID=358691&DSP=&CUR=840&PGR
> P=0&CACHE_ID=0
> > > > >
> > > > > Tom
> >
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.