Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoSketch 2.1 and Windows XP (Home) with Serv Pack 2

41 REPLIES 41
Message 1 of 42
robin.oram5
4546 Views, 41 Replies

AutoSketch 2.1 and Windows XP (Home) with Serv Pack 2

I have seen a few refs to this topic in this group but none seem to relate exactly to my problem.

I used nice and simple AutoSketch v2.1 for years on Win 3.1 and migrated in turn to 95, 98, and 98SE. I then upgraded to AutoSketch v 7, but don't like it much and I continued to use v2.1 in Win 98SE because it suited me better.

But, on upgrading computer to Win XP Home Edition I can't even open the v.2.1 program (although v.7 opens fine). All I get is this message.

"16 bit Windows Subsystem
C:\Windows\System 32\ Autoexec.NT
This system file is not suitable for running MSDOS + MS Windows applications. Choose Close to terminate"

If I try to re-install from the original floppies I get the same message.

I realise it's a system problem probably not an AutoSketch problem. However, other people seem to have managed to use v. 2.1 on XP. Is there a workaround I could attempt ??

Would there be a way to copy across the v2.1 program files from the older machine, which I could do with my Bridge Cable program if it wasn't likely to foul up something else!

Suggestions will be really appreciated.
Robin Oram
41 REPLIES 41
Message 21 of 42
invokevista
in reply to: robin.oram5

Yeah! mmmm I am an Architect in Australia . I have been using AS2.1 for about 12 years and absolutley love it. I use the lastest version of Archicad12 as well but AS2.1 is a great little drawing tool. I found that it works well on XP Home Service Pack2 and to get arround the colour issue I simple print to a PDF file, then achieve the colour accuracy I'm after through that program. Make sure that all the Autodesk patches are install as well.

Phil
Message 22 of 42
AlexSkentzos

I have been using Autosketch since the Dos days. AS2.1 was the best version released as it was quick to learn and great for what I call occaisional Cad users. I do not using daily, but every time I need a quick technical drawing I go straight to it. I also have AS9 and this does open AS2.1 files without any problems. I am using XP Pro with Service Pack 2 and the HPw2207 monitor without any issues what so ever.
Message 23 of 42
woodfred

This problem can be fixed by not using full screen (don't use maximized window).

Reduce the window size to Width=1350 Height=1176 or less. you will notice that rotate will not crash.
Message 24 of 42
secatur

For info, I am currently running 2.1 on Vista Premium home.
Only problems are the printing (Black only prints as pale gray) and the "undo" feature does not work any longer..Makes you MUCH more careful!
Any one else with any fixes for printing in Vista (HP C7180) ???
Message 25 of 42
mick_a

I'm writing this on behalf of my father. He runs Version 2.0 that was current in 1994.
We've been able to move it from Win 3.1, to Win 98 and also to Win XP. That said, it does throw up a message that says it can't find a certain file but still runs well afterwards.
He's recently moved from a Cannon Bubble jet BJ330 which printed realy well but the heads went and you now cant get replacements.
I got him a new HP A3 printer - prints well despite the fact that all the black comes out grey even with the printer options set at the darkest levels.
when we print it out on a normal A4 printer it comes out fine but obviously not to scale and not able to be submitted to council for approval.

We tried to import the drawings to another package - LP98 Autosketch - this printed well but the margins and printing size are all over the place. I've tried to adjust the margins through this package as well but i've not been able to fix the issues.
Any help would be appreciated.
Message 26 of 42
Malcolm42

I have been using AS2.1 with XP Home SP2 happily for several years. When migrating from 98SE I encountered the printing problem (transposed colours and hairline black as grey) and discovered that I could solve this on my HP DeskJet 850C by printing in draft mode.
However, upgrading to the HP Officejet Pro K8600 has renewed the printing problems and most alterations ot the print settings cause a General Protection Fault.
Hence an upgrade to AS9, primarily for printing, and the learning curve is causing me problems (see adjacent post).
Message 27 of 42

AutoSketch 2.1 was not written by Autodesk, unlke the later versions, and in my opinion, is a much better and simpler program to use as a result. I have used the program in all flavours of Windows (currently XPPro SP3) and, until this morning, had no problems other than printing. Having just transferred the program to a new computer, I also had the UNDO problem, until I realised that Autosketch 2.1 cannot read folder names greater than 8 letters. Moving the WSketch2 folder from 'Program Files' to the root directory, C:\ solved the problem. If anybody has succesfully resolved the printing problem, I would be pleased to know how.
Message 28 of 42
pradojim

I had some problems of printing in faint gray. I got around it by using the AS9 version. Change the .skf to .skd and it printed it in color and the preffered black. I had AS9 but didn't have the time to learn it. I use AS2 for drawing and AS9 for printing.

Seems like eveyone on this site really likes AS2.1. It is a program that anyone can learn right away without reading the manual. Just roam around the the different sections and can come up with professional looking drawings. Took classes for AutoCad and did not need it that bad since I only need AS2.1.

jp
Message 29 of 42
jpayne652

Printing Problems Workaround - AutoSketch V 2.1

Using Adobe Acrobat V 7.0 running on Windows XP for printing has proven to be the answer for me. The colors and line widths all print perfectly. Once you have printed to a .pdf file, the .pdf file can be printed on any printer.

I still have certain functionality problems such as not being able to draw circles as it shuts the program down, but have resolved to deal with it in other ways since I appreciate the functionality of the program and have used it since 1994.
Message 30 of 42
thixoman

Hi, I have been using ASketch for so many years, its not funny. Still have a pc rigged for Win 3.1.1 to run Ver 1 & 2 for windows. I print out to Draftmaster II plotters, HP220 & 750CM Designjet and Hp1000 and my stalwart HP500C printers. Best program out there for non 3D needs.
Message 31 of 42
weaver53

Hi everybody!

I use Autosketch since 1993 and I am very happy with the V2.0 (I did not even look for any upgrade). It works on all my PCs with W95, W ME, and also on W XP SP2).
The problem with printing is really there - I transfer my files into DXF and I can print them from Corel Draw or other programs.

Recently I have got my widescreen laptop and I have also the problem mentioned above - when I try to rotate an object the AS closes.
It does only when I use the laptop screen - on the external screen (non wide screen) everything works well.

If I change the internal screen resolution to 1024x768 everything works perfect!

I do not want to change the Autosketch it is an ideal drawing program for me and is full compatible with all my CNC machines. Edited by: weaver53 on Oct 17, 2009 9:03 PM
Message 32 of 42
Hairowl

AutoSketch V-2 Printing Problem;
I use V-2 and have the problem with lines and text printing out light gray. I use an HP 4100TN laserjet and have found that to fix the issue I go into the printer setup and do the following;

A) Click on "Finishing" Tab.
B) Click on "Custom" in print quality section.
C) Click on "Details" button.
D) Put a check mark in "Scale Patterns" "Print All Text in Black" and "Send True Types as Bitmaps"

Everything prints out just fine after doing the above.

Happy Sketching
Hairowl
Message 33 of 42
Fogchart

Window resizing trick WORKS on GPF! YES!!!
Not knowing how you scale AS2 windows screen to 1350 x 1176 pixels. I used the half test method to determine maximum setting allowed. I checked Screen Resolution settings under display properties and found them to be 1600 x1200. Figured 1176 is about full screen high, so expanded AS2 screen to full monitor height. 1350 is 84% of 1600. So guessed at width expansion. Rotation worked. Saved drawing, closed out of AS2. Reloaded AS2, then tried expanding half way from what worked to far edge of monitor. GPF Crash followed. Reloaded again, this time only expanding AS2 window one forth farther. It worked. Saved and closed AS2 so Windows could remember settings. Reloaded and expanded until GPF crash. Each time saving and closing on what worked. How or why this works is beyond me, but it did. Thanks
Message 34 of 42
Fogchart

If UNDO is not working, check Preferences under Custom. Make sure there is a check mark by “Enable Undo”
Message 35 of 42
lthomp

I hope someday Autodesk will pay attention to what was and still is a great product. I have used Asketch at work and home for 17 years and earlier versions since 1992. I designed and built a house with it, completed countless technical engineering drawings with it and am still using it. Nothing they come up with has replaced it, either too complicated or just not the same.

In all those years it worked perfectly, now I have seen Asketch crash with certain functions like "circle" and "scale".  I noticed some posts refering to display settings and so I found that reducing the physical window size on the screen eliminated the crash. This could also be fixed by reducing the screen resultion, example 1280 x 1024 or even less.  On my work Vista machine this is also the same problem. The 24" screen at a high resolution setting causes my poor old autosketch to crash with these same functions. Again I found by reducing the window size was enough to stop the crashing.

Auto sketch is a perfect fit for most drawing needs. The only next step I might need is to goto ProEng or the like which is way beyond what I really want or need.  Autosketch was a product with connections to AutoCad only with a much superior interface, easy to use.  Maybe it is time for AutoDesk to open the box and upgrade it to run on Windows 7 with full support.

Message 36 of 42
Bioland
in reply to: lthomp

Ich benutze Autosketch 2.1 seit 1999 mit Win98 und seit 2004 mit Win XP Serv.Pack2.

Es ist ein ideales Programm, um schnell und einfach Zeichnungen zu erstellen. Auch

große Dateien, Pläne im A0 Format sind kein Problem. Mit der Kompatibilität mit meinem

Plotter Designjet 450C habe ich mit Win XP beim Direktausdruck ein Problem mit der

Farbsteuerung. Schwarz wird grau, blasse Farben usw. Es gibt keinen Treiber für XP mehr.

Das umgehe ich, indem ich die Datei mit dem PDF Creator in PDF Dateien umwandle.

Ich mache auch Straßenplanungen auf Grafik oder Digitalplänen. Die Darstellung von

Fotos, Grafiken ist klar und ohne Qualitätsverlust. Da kommt Autocad nicht mit !

Was mich beschäftigt, ist der Umstieg auf Windows 7. Das lehnt Autosketch ab !! Gibt

es ein Update oder eine angepasste Version für Autosketch 2.1 ?

Ich habe auch spätere Versionen von Autosketch probiert. Passt mir nicht und sind zu

kompliziert. Die Ausdruckoptionen mit den Arbeitsblättern sind bei Autosketch 2.1. ideal.

Hat ein Anwender eine Lösung für Win 7 oder hat der Herausgeber eine Zukunftslösung dafür?

Ich probiere derzeit Autocad 2012 (Inventor Fusion 2012) Ob ich damit zurechkomme oder

mir das Programm leisten kann, ist noch offen. Autosketch wird immer die 1. Alternative sein.

Message 37 of 42
kling9
in reply to: Bioland

I'm using Windows 7.  The Autosketch 2.1 works well in the "Virtual PC" which runs as a Windows XP emulation.

Message 38 of 42
RobinOram
in reply to: kling9

Hi Kling9

I'm glad to see this topic (which I started years ago) is still being developed. I now have a Mac, and I´m running a virtual Windows XP Home emulation on it. (Couldn't kick the Windows habit!) You gave me a good idea and I will be trying to install AutoSketch v2.1 shortly. It's still the best by far in my opinion. I have looked at several drawing programs for Mac and they all seem to be either too complicated. or, useless.

Robin Oram    23-02-2013

Message 39 of 42
rmm1001
in reply to: invokevista

I have wsketch 2.1 on a versual XP program on a windows professional 7, I am having trouble getting it to work..

Any help appreciated

Message 40 of 42
rmm1001
in reply to: mick_a

A cannon well print excellent crisp colors, also if set the printer when you hit preview print you can set the drawing to fit to page, drawing extends.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report