Did you mean: 

autoketch 10 compatibility with windows 10

23 REPLIES 23
SOLVED
Message 1 of 24
treeguy
13921 Views, 23 Replies

autoketch 10 compatibility with windows 10

I have been working with Autosketch for over 15 years, and I am a landscacpe designer, and this program is perfect for me.  I have set up symbols, templates, and other items over the years.  I have heard that Autosketch 10, which I am now using, is the last, and there will be no more upgrades.  I am thinking of purchasing a new computer.  Does anyone know if Windows 10 is compatible with Autosketch 10, or if there are any bugs.  Thanks so much.

Steve

23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
matthew.d
in reply to: treeguy

Hi @treeguy,

Welcome to the community!

Great question. Autosketch is no longer officially support and it is not officially supported in Windows 10. That does not necessarily mean will not work. You could give it a try, you may be able to get it going. You can always rollback your OS if it does not.

Matt DiMichele
Autodesk Product Blogs | @ADSKCommunity Twitter

Likes are greatly appreciated. Everyone enjoys a thumbs up!

Please Accept As Solution if this resolves your issue, to help others benefit and locate it.
Message 3 of 24
treeguy

Thank you so much, I will keep you posted if and when I get a new computer.

Message 4 of 24
Kevin.Hutch

I too am a long term user and I have no desire to learn/migrate to a new package as Autosketch provides more than enough functionality for the drawings I do after all traditional draughting is indepandant of the tools.

So I took the plunge, updated to a new windows 10 system, updated to Autosketch 10 and loaded first go, got up and running quickly with no hitches.

I still use the old 21 inch screen now in HDMI mode and the external keyboard/mouse that I have used for years but now I have a notebook with 11 hours battery life when I am out of the office and all my files with me.

After all it takes more than CAD to make a Draftsman and more than Draughting to make a Design Engineer. drawing things is not so hard but drawing thing that can be built is a challenge,,

Kevin H

Kevin Hutch
Be part of the solution not part of the problem
(61) 4 0887 1538
Message 5 of 24
treeguy
in reply to: Kevin.Hutch

Thank you Kevin, I appreciate it.
Message 6 of 24
hcsB4VVB

TreeGuy,

I am running Autosketch 9, which I too have had for years, on Windows 10 with absolutley no problems

ChrisPSR

Tags (1)
Message 7 of 24
hcsB4VVB

Duplication. Apologies.

ChrisPSR

Tags (1)
Message 8 of 24
Randit
in reply to: matthew.d

I just installed Autosketch-10 a few days ago... so far no problems with Win10. I haven't used Autocad since Version 12, so this is a learning curve.

Did I notice there's no Command Bar in Autosketch for typing drawing commands?

Message 9 of 24
Kevin.Hutch
in reply to: Randit

Your experience is old school, commands in CAD have long since gone, it is all menu driven and tool bars now days and drop down menus can be set to favour what you use mostly. Right click on one of the menus and tick all the possibilities then work through to find the ones you want as favourites.

Most standard windows commands such as ctrl P for print is one I often use, as well as ctrl C and V for cut and paste, ctrl S for save and ctrl Z for undo.

Help is easy to find most things also.

Kevin Hutch
(61) 4 0887 1538
Message 10 of 24
Randit

Thank you Kevin, you encouraged me to continue on with this since it's easy to find help. ;-). I've actually got about 10 years on the drawing board doing things by hand as a piping designer/ draftsman. The amount of work I got done in the 3 hours I spent crashing through Autosketch drawing my floor plan, I could have done in 10 mins with a T-Square. 

Favorite Command = CTRL-G because I keep getting lost in that big drawing space. Think I need to adjust my track ball too.

Thanks for the Tips Kevin

Message 11 of 24
Kevin.Hutch

In my experience the first pass of a drawing is no quicker than it used to be with the T square, where it comes into its own is modifications and repetition (copy & paste) and especially layering where a lot of detail makes a hard copy very busy.

I do a lot of tracing aerial photos that I scale to do campground layouts some with up to 30 odd layers.

So far not had any use for 3D as 2D CAD serves me well.

Only too pleased to look at one of your drawings and suggest ways or send you some of mine for ideas.

Kevin Hutch
(61) 4 0887 1538
Message 12 of 24
asad.iqbalC5NX5

Hi,Since Oct 26 2016 Autosketch has been discontinued. Autodesk no longer supports Autosketch and offers no assistance to run the program The online Knowledge Base still carries a forum, documentation and some technical support. Best Blue Light Blocking Glasses

Message 13 of 24

Perhaps rose coloured glasses would be better for those of us still living Autosketch and having it fulfill our needs. I do not think any of us argue there are now better CAD packages around but without a 3D need I can not justify the learning curve or effort to convert my skills, especially as I would no longer have the access to the 100's of my old drawings without converting them as well so that I could refer to them occasionally.   It is frustrating AutoDesk did not seem fit to support a migration path, without it, I am loath to consider an alternative Autodesk product. 

Whenever windows ceases to support Autosketch I guess I will just stop drawing in CAD. 

Kevin Hutch
(61) 4 0887 1538
Message 14 of 24
lippmannAEERF

Hi, 

After a system crash I just wanted to re-install Autosketch 9 on an Windows 10 System without success. Can you tell me from which source you succeeded in doing so? Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Message 15 of 24
Kevin.Hutch
in reply to: lippmannAEERF

Version 9 is a long distant past and I went V10 when I went windows "the last version" V10, that was three computers back and I have subsequently moved up to windows 11 installing without any issues each time. The only issue I have experienced is some dialog boxes coming up undersize, but still usable.

As others have installed V9 on win 10 I can only anticipate something on your system got corrupted in the crash. I would suggest you remove any Autosketch files/directories (not skf files though), then try again.

Kevin Hutch
(61) 4 0887 1538
Message 16 of 24
lippmannAEERF

Hi Kevin,

thanks a lot for your quick answer.  I know that V9 is really ancient,
but that was the version I was using for decades and where I have a
installation disc.   The system I am trying to get Autsketch V9 working
on now is a new WIN10 computer without any previous Autosketch files or
directories.  Installation fails with a message that the Windows
installer on the Autosketch disk is not working.  Any ideas how to fix
that?  Mabe a newer version of the installer would do the trick (the old
one on the disk has a 2004 date!)

Message 17 of 24
Kevin.Hutch
in reply to: lippmannAEERF

A printout of the setup.ini file may provide some suggestions.

[WiseInstaller]
ProductFile=Setup.msi
ProductCode={DB639F99-ED74-49D4-8FFD-5B8C34C00D64}
ProductVersion=9.0.0.88
ProductName=AutoSketch Release 9
Remove Previous=0
AdminError=You must have administrator rights to run this installation. Please login as an administrator and re-run this installation.
ExistError=%s Version %s is already installed. You must uninstall the existing version before installing %s Version %s. Do you want to uninstall the existing version of %s?
SpaceError=Could not create temporary file, not enough free temporary disk space. Please free up disk space and rerun this installation.
WiseInitPrefix=Initializing
WiseInitSuffix=Wizard...
DelayReboot=

If this comes up blank send me an email and I will see if we can resolve it.

Kevin Hutch
(61) 4 0887 1538
Message 18 of 24
Randit

I've been using Autosketch10 for a couple years on WIN-10 for some Site Plans and some Architectural details, with Windows 10.  It loaded correctly and I had zero issues with it except for my own dumb ways.  I like to try to do things first without reading the instructions... just to see how far I can get on my own. Anyways it was a breeze and works great for what I do.

I've only been trained on Autocad V10 then learned on my own ( and not very well I might add) V12, V13, V14. So, I really don't have that much experience with Acad.

I do remodeling and for these small jobs Asketch 10 does pretty good.... and it was cheap.
Yes, I too read it was going to be discontinued. This is the last version.  

Not too long ago I got a full copy of Autocad 2002. It was $20. The guy was moving out of town and giving his stuff away.  It was a company owned version they were using to manage inventory. The company folded and he ended up with the program.  I haven't even tried it yet... someday when I get time I'll see if it works.   Frankly I'd like to own Acad version 12 or 13. I think some machine shops are still using V12 for their work.  

Message 19 of 24
Randit

You need to get a computer... hard to live without one!
Not sure If I could live without it now. Got my first one in 1991 and then got dial-up. Wow that was something huh? Wonder if they have dial up in hell now?
Yeah!

Message 20 of 24
Kevin.Hutch

You are really new to CAD, I retired in 1991 and the company presented me with what was then a Digital/Palette $40,000 CAD system and it lasted several years. In those days a 14inch colour monitor was $2,500.

In 1997 I moved and did not have room for it so I migrated to the world of PC's and windows. This of course left me without CAD and AutoCAD just didn't make the grade in those days, so I used Paintbrush for pcx drawings for some years before finding Autosketch and back into the real CAD world.

Many years later (2008) it threatened to become obsolete, so I upgraded to V10 to show support, but alas engineering has moved to 3D and V10 is the last version.

I tried to move into the 3D world of modeling, but it is hard to teach old dogs new tricks, so here I still am stuck in a time warp. I still find Autosketch performs all my drawing needs and some of my drawings get quite complex. I just completed an AW139 helicopter for CQ rescue mastering the world of tracing to build a scale model.

Kevin Hutch
(61) 4 0887 1538

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report