Factory Design Utilities Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Factory Design Utilities Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Factory Design Utilities topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Relocating Asset Libraries to a Network Location

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
petestrycharske
2017 Views, 12 Replies

Relocating Asset Libraries to a Network Location

All,

I am working with someone who wants to put all Factory Assets into one location.  From what I have gathered, there are ways to publish new factory assets and download new cloud assets to a network location.  However, is there a way to move all the system assets from the program data to a network location?  Here is a breakdown of my questions:

1.  Can system assets be moved from the c:\program data to a network location and still be accessed?  Is there an advantage to doing this?

2.  Is this the best way to relocate and map network Factory Asset folders to follow the word document from this post?

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Factory-Design-Suite/User-Assets-and-Project-File-settings/m-...

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Factory-Design-Suite/publish-targets/m-p/3281199/highlight/tr...

Thanks and have a most blessed day!

Peace,

Pete

Just a guy on a couch...

Please give a kudos if helpful and mark as a solution if somehow I got it right.
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Hi Pete,

Yes, you can move the system assets to the network location. And currently it is the best way to map the network location folder in Inventor Project as the post presented.

Is that not working for you?

Thanks,

-Xuesong

Please mark as a solution if somehow I got it right.
Message 3 of 13
Logos_Atum
in reply to: XuesongBai

Hello there,

is there a way to include connectorclasses?

Kind regards

Daniel

Dogs aren´t flammable.
Message 4 of 13

Xuesong,

Hmmm...  I had moved the system assets to a network location and had created a library location in Inventor, but didn't seem to be able to see the system assets.  Let me try it again and I'll let you know how it turns out.  If I cannot get it to work out, I will prepare a word document detailing my steps.  Have a most blessed day!

Peace,

Pete

Just a guy on a couch...

Please give a kudos if helpful and mark as a solution if somehow I got it right.
Message 5 of 13

Xuesong,

I just tried things again and wasn't able to view the system assets.  Can you please take a look at my steps and let me know if I am missing something or doing something wrong?  Hope all is well and have a most blessed day!

Peace,

Pete

Just a guy on a couch...

Message 6 of 13

Hi,

Did you copy the data from all three library locations?

The system assets are here:

C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Factory Design Suite 2013\FactoryLibrary

The Cloud Assets are here:

%APPDATA%\Autodesk\Factory Design Suite 2013\FactoryCloudLibrary

The User Assets are here:

%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Factory Library

Regards,

Loren

Regards,
Loren
Message 7 of 13

Loren, I have not tried that.  I will give it a whirl and see what we come up with.  Probably won't have a chance to try again until tomorrow.

Just a guy on a couch...

Message 8 of 13

Hi Pete,

Your steps are pretty correct. But you need to expand the Asset Library node and to find the system assets in Asset Browser, rather than "System Assets" node.

By the way, if you want to download the cloud assets to the network location, you also need to find the cloud asset in "System Asset" node and then download them there. Afterwards, all cloud assets will be stored and shared at the network location.

There will be duplicated representation of cloud asset in both "System Asset" node and "User library" node that is set in Inventor project. 

Thanks,

-Xuesong

Message 9 of 13

All,

Xuesong, I see where I went astray and can correct where the cloud assets are downloaded to, using the Factory Options.

Loren, I have copied all three folders to the network location, figured out where the system assets are, but still have a point of confusion.

Basically, here is what I have been able to gather:

1.  All of the assets can be moved to one location, if so desired.

2.  The cloud assets are controlled through the Factory Options command.

3.  The user assets are controlled through the project, specifically through a library definition.  This will allow them to be published to and be inserted from a network location.

4.  The system assets can be controlled through the project, specifically through a library definition.  This will allow them to be inserted from a network location.

Here is where things get confusing.  The asset browser in Inventor still shows the original "System Assets" and "User Assets" folders.  See screenshot "Current Asset Browser Configuration".  The "System Assets" folder allows cloud assets to be downloaded and this is also where cloud assets are inserted from.  The "System Assets" folder is still pointed to the C:\ location, but the cloud assets actually reside on the network.  The "User Asset" folder is completely empty.  Please refer to the last two screenshots.  Do others experience this phenomena, or is it just crazy old Pete?

I like the idea of having all of the information in one place, but having dubplicates of the folders seems to be confusing.  I would prefer to see only one version of the "System Assets" and "User Assets" folders and just have those point to the newly defined network locations.  Is this something that can be passed on to the development team, or should I post on idea station?

At any rate, I guess I have my question answered, but am not sure how comfortable I am with the duplicate folders.  Thanks for all the feedback and ideas everyone.  If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.  Have a most blessed day!

Regards,

Pete

Just a guy on a couch...

Message 10 of 13

Hi Pete,

All your concerns is the limitation. I will consider enhancing these in the future release.

Thanks,

-Xuesong

Message 11 of 13
K_Baker_89

Hi,

Going back a while, but did this ever get progressed? I'm shortly going to be doing a similar task and want to avoid the confusion of multiple asset folders if possible.

Thanks,

Kurt

Message 12 of 13
Anonymous

You mention that it is possible to do it but didnt explain how.

Could you show me how to do it or give me a link how to relocating Asset Libraries to a Network Location.

Thanks,

Kismat

Message 13 of 13
petestrycharske
in reply to: Anonymous

Kismat,

Good morning!  I’ll try to knock out a video a little bit later this morning, so you can see the process.  Thanks for your patience, hope all is well and have a most blessed day!

Peace,

Pete

Just a guy on a couch...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report