Factory Design Utilities Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Factory Design Utilities Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Factory Design Utilities topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD XREF Causing Inventor Syncing Problems?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
petestrycharske
745 Views, 7 Replies

AutoCAD XREF Causing Inventor Syncing Problems?

All,

I have been trying to develop a workflow from Revit, involving large files sizes and settled on exporting an AutoCAD layout to design around.  Things were going well, but to save time I had decided to use this base AutoCAD drawing as an XREF in several other sublayout drawings.  All seems to be going well in AutoCAD, but once I sync to Inventor, I don't seem to be able to sync back.  I am getting a message that says there is an unknow problem that is preventing the sync from occurring.  Has anyone else attempted a similar approach and gotten the same error?  When I attempted this procedure there weren't any AutoCAD files open or anything, so the only thing I can think might have caused this was having an XREF used in the AutoCAD layout.  I will attach a screen shot, but if anyone has any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.  Hope all is well and have a most blessed night!

Peace,
Pete

Just a guy on a couch...

Please give a kudos if helpful and mark as a solution if somehow I got it right.
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Hi Pete,

Generally I use the this approach to deal with large layout files. But I didn't encounter the issue you mentioned.

Could you please have a try a simple 2d layout and then sync back from Inventor? If that is OK, I need to closed look at the layout files you have the issue.

Thanks,

-Xuesong

Please mark as a solution if somehow I got it right.
Message 3 of 8

Xuesong,

Thanks for looking into this.  Below is the basic workflow that I am trying to accomplish:

1. Export a layout from Revit

2. Open a new ACADM drawing, create a layer XREF, set XREF current and lock it

3. Attach the Revit layout as an XREF (see the attachment 01)

4. Save the layout

5. Perform a SAVEAS for each sublayout I think I will need

6. Place assets in Sub01 (AutoCAD layout)

7. Save Sub01

8. Sync Sub01 to Inventor

9. Close Sub01 in Inventor

10. Reopen Sub01 in Inventor

11. Apply assets

12. Sync to AutoCAD

13. Failure, get an error message (see attachment 02)

14. Deleted assets and resaved Sub01 in Inventor

15. Opened up Sub01 in AutoCAD

16. Attempted to Update from Inventor, failure (see attachment 03)

I will direct message you a link to pull down the dataset, since I don't think it will fit in here.  Please take a look at the workflow and dataset to see where I am going astray...  Appreciate the help and have a most blessed day!

Peace,

Pete

Just a guy on a couch...

Please give a kudos if helpful and mark as a solution if somehow I got it right.
Message 4 of 8

Xuesong,

I have attached the Revit layouts that I was using as XREF in my other sublayouts.  The Inventor layouts were too large to attach.  Any assistance you can provide is greatly appreciated.  Have a most awesome and most blessed day!

Peace,

Pete

Just a guy on a couch...

Message 5 of 8

All,

May have stumbled upon something.  Locking the layer that I have a reference on, seems to prevent me from syncing back from Inventor to AutoCAD.  I have tried locking the 0 layer and a Reference layer that I created and have gotten the same result.  Once I unlock the layer, I can sync back and forth between AutoCAD and Inventor.  Now that I have one sublayout done, I will test with some additional sublayouts.  Might be on to something here...

Peace,

Pete

Just a guy on a couch...

Message 6 of 8

All,

Looks like unlocking the layers got me going.  So if layers are locked, it appears that Inventor will be unable to sync back to AutoCAD.  I tested this on a couple of layouts and unlocking layers consistently allowed the syncing to occur.  If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.  Hope this helps and have a most blessed day!

Peace,

Pete

Just a guy on a couch...

Message 7 of 8

Hi Peter,

Sorry for delayed reply.

That is good you have found the reason.

That is known issue in FDS 2014 and the issue is fixed in FDS 2015.

Thanks,

-Xuesong

Please mark as a solution if somehow I got it right.
Message 8 of 8

Xuesong,

No worries, man, I know that life can get busy!  Glad to hear this is resolved in 2015.  Thanks again for all your help and have a most blessed day!

Peace,

Pete

Just a guy on a couch...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums