Factory Design Utilities Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Factory Design Utilities Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Factory Design Utilities topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asset creation using point clouds

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
cforan
404 Views, 4 Replies

Asset creation using point clouds

Can anyone make a general estimate for the amount of time it takes to create one asset from point cloud data? Let's assume that the user if an average user of Factory Design Suite and their software and hardware are up to date.  Just curious to know if it's minutes, hours, or more...

We are scanning a huge plant with hundreds of assets and there is an interest to use the point cloud data to create the unique assets.

Tags (2)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
XuesongBai
in reply to: cforan

Hi there,

If my understanding is correct, you want to extract the unique point cloud asset from the scan plant point clouds.

You can create the scan region of each asset and export it as RCS format point cloud in AutoCAD ReCap and then attach it in Inventor.

By the way, please install the sevice pack 1 in AutoCAD Recap for export the scan region to RCS format point cloud.

I think it will be taking seconds  for creating one unique point cloud asset.

Thanks,

-Xuesong

Please mark as a solution if somehow I got it right.
Message 3 of 5
cforan
in reply to: XuesongBai

Thank you for your comments Xuesong.
So, once you have the point cloud data in Inventor, I'm wondering how much effort goes into building an asset with insertion points, proper orientation, 2-D view, etc. I understand that one could spend a little time cleaning up the cloud data as well before creating the asset.

Chris
Message 4 of 5
XuesongBai
in reply to: cforan

Hi Chris,

I don't think handling the point cloud asset in Inventor will take much effort. Becuase most cleanup work have been done in AutoCAD ReCap.

The attached is the workflow I created in Factory Inventor 2013 for your reference.

Thanks,

-Xuesong

Please mark as a solution if somehow I got it right.
Message 5 of 5
cforan
in reply to: XuesongBai

Thank you for this input! This looks fairly simple and I guess the time spent will be a function of the complexity of the part and how detailed you need to be.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report