I am a subscription customer to the Autodesk Factory Design Suite Premium. I did not have any problems with the 2012 suite. When 2013 was released I downloaded it immediately and I've had this problem with it since the beginning. I've had a number of solutions proposed to me by the Autodesk technical support team which I tried including reinstalling, downloading service packs, clearing out temp folders, clearing reigstry keys, repairing C++ software and etc.
I've been observing and testing this for months and here's what I've come up with.
If the factory asset browser window is set to open when I start up AutoCAD I will get a fatal error on startup. If I close the factory asset browser window as soon as the software opens I can sometimes avoid the fatal error. In the event I succeed in closing it in time and I still get a fatal error then I can open the software again and it will be OK as the browser will not load upon opening the software. Then I can click on the palletes button to open the browser and it will refresh and it will be fine. However, if I click on the "New assets in one last week" button I will get a fatal error again which will also cause me to have a fatal error on startup the next time I start ACAD.
So, I am thinking that something is going on when ACAD is checking the internet for new factory assets from Autodesk. Perhaps something that ACAD is checking on the internet at startup conflicts with this since I can start the pallete if I wait 10 seconds and there is no fatal error. While it is searching for new assets online the cloud icon greys out. If I do not get a fatal error then the cloud icon will be hilited blue and have a checkmark on it. From here I can browse and insert assets no problem and I can see the new ones Autodesk added. But if I tell it to look again say for the assets added in the last week I get a fatal error.
As for reinstalling ACAD every couple months, I don't see this as a solution. I lose all of the customization that I put into the programs and there's the time it takes away from work while the programs install. I have a great computer and I run all sorts of other high end CAD software from other companies that don’t suffer from the same problems that this release of AutoCAD suffers from.
It's frustrating when you pay to subscribe to get the latest and the latest doesn't work. Even more frustrating that I can't use the assets that I've created in 2013 in 2012 since the latter works like a charm. Is anyone else having these problems? It's just maddening sometimes.
the asset browser does not cause fatal errors in Inventor. However my asset browser never starts up on start-up in Inventor either. Inventor works fine. To keep things working I just make sure I close the asset browser before I close ACAD. Then when I restart ACAD everything works fine, I can click on the tool pallete and as long as I don't click on view new assets then everything works peachy.
Please try to invoke Factory Assets panel by Ribbon: View->User Interface->Factory Assets. Then check whether it causes fatal errors. If fatal errors pop up, please try to clear local cloud asset library by Factory Options->Assets->Clear Folder. Then launch app again.
I received this response from a technical support person. However I don't think this is the problem. Because it's not like the asset browser isn't working at all. It just gives a fatal error if it is loaded at startup. If ACAD has finished loading itself I can start the browser in any fashion and as long as I wait for it to check the cloud everything works perfectly.
Just got this from the team. I still have an quick reminder meeting at 1 pm tomorrow.
1. Have someone else login on your computer (new user).
2. The user should have have any data in C:/Users i.e. C:/Users/Administrator
3. Run AutoCAD and test Assets.
"I had something similar with a customer on inventor optimization. Recreating a new windows user profile only fixed the issue.
Here are some reasons from cloud team,
"My best guess is that it related to a bad certificate on the users system (or at least a certificate in a state that Qt/openssl don’t handle properly). I would perhaps start by looking for anything unusual in the certificates. See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms788967.a