Announcements
IMPORTANT. Forum in Read Only mode. You can no longer submit new questions or replies. Please read this message for details
Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior
Welcome to Autodesk’s Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

xrefs not sticking

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
293 Views, 10 Replies

xrefs not sticking

we are trying very hard to get the hang of the PN in ADT5, currently we are storeing all the files on one computer ( which is also a workstation ) and accessing those files from another workstation. when pulling up sheets....... some time the xrefs are there sometimes not, sometimes half of the xrefs on a sheet come in and others don't. any suggestions as to what we are doing wrong? its been a real pain to have to keep re referencing things any help would be appreciated thanks -- steve oyer architect Design Associates International, Inc.
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

If you are setting up your files through the Project Navigator, the proper XREF types should be assigned automatically [attach vs overlay], the proper data should be entered in the XML files and the views and sheets should have the files you want.

Are you manually adding external references to you files outside of the Project Navigator [ie, using the XREF Manager]?

--

David Koch
Autodesk Discussion Group Facilitator
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous

i am using the PN to set everything up and xref everything.... but once set up and a file is then lost I use the xrefe manager to reattach it is there a better way, the repath command does not solve the problem thanks steve "David_W._Koch" wrote in message news:8955529.1110563726281.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > If you are setting up your files through the Project Navigator, the proper > XREF types should be assigned automatically [attach vs overlay], the > proper data should be entered in the XML files and the views and sheets > should have the files you want. > > Are you manually adding external references to you files outside of the > Project Navigator [ie, using the XREF Manager]? > > -- > > David Koch > Autodesk Discussion Group Facilitator
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous

Steve, What you are describing is not normal. Have you moved the project or dwgs within the project via Windows Navigator? It would be helpful if you could explain a bit more about how the Project was set up and how you are creating new dwgs. I.e. Were existing dwgs dropped to the PN folders or were dwgs created from scratch (Constructs > New Construct...etc.). Are you using the PN to create new Views using the UI? Are you dragging Views from the View tab onto new Sheets to create new Viewports? Fitz Autodesk "steven oyer" wrote in message news:4231e6c0_3@newsprd01... >i am using the PN to set everything up and xref everything.... > > but once set up and a file is then lost I use the xrefe manager to > reattach it > > is there a better way, the repath command does not solve the problem > > thanks > > steve > > "David_W._Koch" wrote in message > news:8955529.1110563726281.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... >> If you are setting up your files through the Project Navigator, the >> proper XREF types should be assigned automatically [attach vs overlay], >> the proper data should be entered in the XML files and the views and >> sheets should have the files you want. >> >> Are you manually adding external references to you files outside of the >> Project Navigator [ie, using the XREF Manager]? >> >> -- >> >> David Koch >> Autodesk Discussion Group Facilitator > >
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

thanks for the reply fitz it must be our network setup, I am pretty sure we are doing things properly, ie everything is done from within PN, but when we do it from one machine we get one path and drive letter and when we do it from another machine we get a different path and drive letter. so i guess we fixed it, it was just a pain.....and dont know what we would do differently next time. thanks again steve "William Fitzpatrick - autodesk" wrote in message news:42324051_3@newsprd01... > Steve, > > What you are describing is not normal. Have you moved the project or dwgs > within the project via Windows Navigator? It would be helpful if you could > explain a bit more about how the Project was set up and how you are > creating new dwgs. I.e. Were existing dwgs dropped to the PN folders or > were dwgs created from scratch (Constructs > New Construct...etc.). Are > you using the PN to create new Views using the UI? Are you dragging Views > from the View tab onto new Sheets to create new Viewports? > > Fitz > Autodesk > > "steven oyer" wrote in message > news:4231e6c0_3@newsprd01... >>i am using the PN to set everything up and xref everything.... >> >> but once set up and a file is then lost I use the xrefe manager to >> reattach it >> >> is there a better way, the repath command does not solve the problem >> >> thanks >> >> steve >> >> "David_W._Koch" wrote in message >> news:8955529.1110563726281.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... >>> If you are setting up your files through the Project Navigator, the >>> proper XREF types should be assigned automatically [attach vs overlay], >>> the proper data should be entered in the XML files and the views and >>> sheets should have the files you want. >>> >>> Are you manually adding external references to you files outside of the >>> Project Navigator [ie, using the XREF Manager]? >>> >>> -- >>> >>> David Koch >>> Autodesk Discussion Group Facilitator >> >> > >
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous

We have battled with this issue for quite some time now. It is exactly as you say- If the user on the machine hosting the project creates xrefs or repaths etc. the PN will repath all the xrefs to something like X:\CAD\Projects\

Whereas when a user that is accessing the files across the network creates or repaths them they will get pathed to \\server\CAD\Projects\

This can get really messy when half the files are pathed to X: and the other half to \\server\

This is why relative path functionality from within the PN has been hot on the wishlists for us small time offices that cant justify setting up and maintain fully fledged fileservers just for this purpose.

phew.. anyway... I heard a rumour that relative paths are an option from the PN in 2006 so to the person/people that worked on that feature... thankyou thankyou thankyou soo much!!!! 🙂 that will deffinately solve a lot of headaches!

Mat.
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

thanks for the info i thought it was just us!!!! unfortunetly we just upgraded to 2005 and going to 6 will be long time off!!!! probably the same time we get a new server ;-) if there is anything else we can do to help this situation please let us know steve "Elmato" wrote in message news:29312749.1110647956061.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > We have battled with this issue for quite some time now. It is exactly as > you say- If the user on the machine hosting the project creates xrefs or > repaths etc. the PN will repath all the xrefs to something like > X:\CAD\Projects\ > > Whereas when a user that is accessing the files across the network creates > or repaths them they will get pathed to \\server\CAD\Projects\ > > This can get really messy when half the files are pathed to X: and the > other half to \\server\ > > This is why relative path functionality from within the PN has been hot > on the wishlists for us small time offices that cant justify setting up > and maintain fully fledged fileservers just for this purpose. > > > > phew.. anyway... I heard a rumour that relative paths are an option from > the PN in 2006 so to the person/people that worked on that feature... > thankyou thankyou thankyou soo much!!!! 🙂 that will deffinately solve a > lot of headaches! > > Mat.
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous

Im afraid there isnt really a great deal you can do to overcome this issue as far as I know...

How exactly is your network set up? In our setup we have 2 computers.

The first computer (SERVER) has a removeable HDD ( X:\ ) which is shared across the network as \CAD_X .

The second computer (CLIENT) has \\SERVER\CAD_X mapped as a network drive ( X:\ )

The real damage is usually done when both of us are working on the same project at the same time. If you can avoid doing that you can alleviate the problem somewhat.. Obviously this isnt always possible and in such cases we make it a rule that SERVER is the only computer that is allowed to create, rename or repath the project. This generally keeps all the xrefs pathed to X:\ which means my boss can safely work on the projects at home (directly off the removable HDD).

The only other advice I can think of is that when you do find yourself having to manually repath files (its inevitable) you can speed up the process by fixing all the paths to the constructs in the views first... then when you open a sheet you merely have to repath the view and it should be able to find the constructs on its own...

Good luck... and if you do find a better answer pleeeeease let us know. 🙂

Mat
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous

looks like we are in exactly the same boat, hope you get to upgrade soon. I am very disappointed ......... this takes all the wind out of the sails of the PN if you ask me.......... steve "Elmato" wrote in message news:25265080.1110793513487.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Im afraid there isnt really a great deal you can do to overcome this issue > as far as I know... > > How exactly is your network set up? In our setup we have 2 computers. > > The first computer (SERVER) has a removeable HDD ( X:\ ) which is shared > across the network as \CAD_X . > > The second computer (CLIENT) has \\SERVER\CAD_X mapped as a network drive > ( X:\ ) > > The real damage is usually done when both of us are working on the same > project at the same time. If you can avoid doing that you can alleviate > the problem somewhat.. Obviously this isnt always possible and in such > cases we make it a rule that SERVER is the only computer that is allowed > to create, rename or repath the project. This generally keeps all the > xrefs pathed to X:\ which means my boss can safely work on the projects at > home (directly off the removable HDD). > > The only other advice I can think of is that when you do find yourself > having to manually repath files (its inevitable) you can speed up the > process by fixing all the paths to the constructs in the views first... > then when you open a sheet you merely have to repath the view and it > should be able to find the constructs on its own... > > Good luck... and if you do find a better answer pleeeeease let us know. > :) > > Mat
Message 10 of 11
Anonymous

I am not really sure, but am i understanding that you have 2 computers, 1 acting as the server and both computers accessing the info? If this is true, you will have problems b ecause the pn recognizes the files being on the local drive x: for one machine, and on \\server from another. so any time one tries to do anything adt wants to repath to show the correct path. you need to partition the drive (as i understand) so that both copies of adt reads that the files are in the same location.

I find that it is best that one computer is used as the server only and that other computer access it.

Justin
Message 11 of 11
Anonymous

Thats Exactly Right....Providing you can afford another computer...
Ok that may come across as stingey... but the main concern is having to shell out for another extension to the gates mansion....

Although I have been tinkering with Samba lately so as soon as I manage to get that running like clockwork I'll be setting up FC3 on an old P3 and use that as a file/print server...

Mat.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report