Announcements
IMPORTANT. Forum in Read Only mode. You can no longer submit new questions or replies. Please read this message for details
Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior
Welcome to Autodesk’s Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wall opening that butts to another wall

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
443 Views, 10 Replies

Wall opening that butts to another wall

I have an opening in a wall that butts against another wall, interior with gwb. I can't figure out how to get the endcaps to allow the gwb in the abutting wall to not expose the stud component. See attached jpg's. -- ---- Ed ----
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Must have hit the file size limit. Here's the second one. -- ---- Ed ----
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous

Ed, You could try to have different cleanup groups for those walls. I've faced the same situation and that was the only way I could find out of it. Now there's another way: get rid of the opening and use a base line offset instead - always keeping the same base height, though. hope that helps. Charles Ed Jobe wrote: > Must have hit the file size limit. Here's the second one. > > -- > ---- > Ed > ----
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous

or over-ride the cleanup on that end to "no" - i'm not sure but off the top of my head K "Charles C Vincent" wrote in message news:41ad175e$1_1@newsprd01... > Ed, > You could try to have different cleanup groups for those walls. I've faced > the same situation and that was the only way I could find out of it. > Now there's another way: get rid of the opening and use a base line > offset instead - always keeping the same base height, though. > > hope that helps. > > Charles > > Ed Jobe wrote: >> Must have hit the file size limit. Here's the second one. >> >> -- >> ---- >> Ed >> ----
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

I tried making different endcaps, but not different cleanup groups. I also thought of using a segmented wall, but if I just offset the baseline, would the gwb wrap around the underside of the header? -- ---- Ed ---- "Ken" wrote in message news:41ad46af_1@newsprd01... > or over-ride the cleanup on that end to "no" - i'm not sure but off the top > of my head > K > "Charles C Vincent" wrote in message > news:41ad175e$1_1@newsprd01... > > Ed, > > You could try to have different cleanup groups for those walls. I've faced > > the same situation and that was the only way I could find out of it. > > Now there's another way: get rid of the opening and use a base line > > offset instead - always keeping the same base height, though. > > > > hope that helps. > > > > Charles > > > > Ed Jobe wrote: > >> Must have hit the file size limit. Here's the second one. > >> > >> -- > >> ---- > >> Ed > >> ---- > >
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous

I tried both. The cleanup group has no effect on the opening's endcaps. If I put the wall that has the opening in another cleanup group, the wall doesn't cleanup at all. I still need it to cleanup at the upper portion where the header is, just not at the opening. I tried using an offset bottom on a new wall style, but as I suspected, the gwb does not wrap the bottom. However, this is the best workaround I have so far...if I don't need to render a view that shows the underside of the header. I would appreciate any other suggestions. I'm still trying to learn adt. -- ---- Ed ---- "Ed Jobe" wrote in message news:41adf89e$1_2@newsprd01... > I tried making different endcaps, but not different cleanup groups. I also > thought of using a segmented wall, but if I just offset the baseline, would > the gwb wrap around the underside of the header? > > -- > ---- > Ed > ---- > "Ken" wrote in > message news:41ad46af_1@newsprd01... > > or over-ride the cleanup on that end to "no" - i'm not sure but off the > top > > of my head > > K > > "Charles C Vincent" wrote in message > > news:41ad175e$1_1@newsprd01... > > > Ed, > > > You could try to have different cleanup groups for those walls. I've > faced > > > the same situation and that was the only way I could find out of it. > > > Now there's another way: get rid of the opening and use a base line > > > offset instead - always keeping the same base height, though. > > > > > > hope that helps. > > > > > > Charles > > > > > > Ed Jobe wrote: > > >> Must have hit the file size limit. Here's the second one. > > >> > > >> -- > > >> ---- > > >> Ed > > >> ---- > > > > > >
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

Hi Ed; If you select the vertical wall and grip edit the baseline end to the inside face of the horizontal wall the two wall will not clean up. This is assuming that the baseline of the horizontal wall is not on the "inside" on the room. Then select the vertical wall, Right Click, cleanups and merge the wall to the horizontal wall. If you need a clean model view override the endcap style of the vertical wall and set this end to "None" I believe this will give the display you want -- Charlie Busa "Ed Jobe" wrote in message news:41af49bf$1_1@newsprd01... > I tried both. The cleanup group has no effect on the opening's endcaps. If I > put the wall that has the opening in another cleanup group, the wall doesn't > cleanup at all. I still need it to cleanup at the upper portion where the > header is, just not at the opening. I tried using an offset bottom on a new > wall style, but as I suspected, the gwb does not wrap the bottom. However, > this is the best workaround I have so far...if I don't need to render a view > that shows the underside of the header. I would appreciate any other > suggestions. I'm still trying to learn adt. > > -- > ---- > Ed > ---- > "Ed Jobe" wrote in message > news:41adf89e$1_2@newsprd01... > > I tried making different endcaps, but not different cleanup groups. I also > > thought of using a segmented wall, but if I just offset the baseline, > would > > the gwb wrap around the underside of the header? > > > > -- > > ---- > > Ed > > ---- > > "Ken" wrote > in > > message news:41ad46af_1@newsprd01... > > > or over-ride the cleanup on that end to "no" - i'm not sure but off the > > top > > > of my head > > > K > > > "Charles C Vincent" wrote in message > > > news:41ad175e$1_1@newsprd01... > > > > Ed, > > > > You could try to have different cleanup groups for those walls. I've > > faced > > > > the same situation and that was the only way I could find out of it. > > > > Now there's another way: get rid of the opening and use a base line > > > > offset instead - always keeping the same base height, though. > > > > > > > > hope that helps. > > > > > > > > Charles > > > > > > > > Ed Jobe wrote: > > > >> Must have hit the file size limit. Here's the second one. > > > >> > > > >> -- > > > >> ---- > > > >> Ed > > > >> ---- > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous

Thank you Charlie. But when I set the endcap for the wall to Standard (None is not available) that causes a conflict with the endcap for the opening (which wraps the stud) when the two coincide, i.e. the opening is all the way to the end of the "vertical" wall. If I choose Standard for the opening's endcap, then the stud shows through on the other side of the opening. aargh. I would think that somebody's run into this before? -- ---- Ed ---- "cbusa" wrote in message news:41af5219$1_1@newsprd01... > Hi Ed; > > If you select the vertical wall and grip edit the baseline end to the inside > face of the horizontal wall the two wall will not clean up. This is assuming > that the baseline of the horizontal wall is not on the "inside" on the room. > Then select the vertical wall, Right Click, cleanups and merge the wall to > the horizontal wall. If you need a clean model view override the endcap > style of the vertical wall and set this end to "None" > > I believe this will give the display you want > > -- > Charlie Busa > > > "Ed Jobe" wrote in message > news:41af49bf$1_1@newsprd01... > > I tried both. The cleanup group has no effect on the opening's endcaps. If > I > > put the wall that has the opening in another cleanup group, the wall > doesn't > > cleanup at all. I still need it to cleanup at the upper portion where the > > header is, just not at the opening. I tried using an offset bottom on a > new > > wall style, but as I suspected, the gwb does not wrap the bottom. However, > > this is the best workaround I have so far...if I don't need to render a > view > > that shows the underside of the header. I would appreciate any other > > suggestions. I'm still trying to learn adt. > > > > -- > > ---- > > Ed > > ---- > > "Ed Jobe" wrote in message > > news:41adf89e$1_2@newsprd01... > > > I tried making different endcaps, but not different cleanup groups. I > also > > > thought of using a segmented wall, but if I just offset the baseline, > > would > > > the gwb wrap around the underside of the header? > > > > > > -- > > > ---- > > > Ed > > > ---- > > > "Ken" wrote > > in > > > message news:41ad46af_1@newsprd01... > > > > or over-ride the cleanup on that end to "no" - i'm not sure but off > the > > > top > > > > of my head > > > > K > > > > "Charles C Vincent" wrote in message > > > > news:41ad175e$1_1@newsprd01... > > > > > Ed, > > > > > You could try to have different cleanup groups for those walls. I've > > > faced > > > > > the same situation and that was the only way I could find out of it. > > > > > Now there's another way: get rid of the opening and use a base line > > > > > offset instead - always keeping the same base height, though. > > > > > > > > > > hope that helps. > > > > > > > > > > Charles > > > > > > > > > > Ed Jobe wrote: > > > > >> Must have hit the file size limit. Here's the second one. > > > > >> > > > > >> -- > > > > >> ---- > > > > >> Ed > > > > >> ---- > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous

Hi Ed; I must not be recreating your wall/opening correctly. Take a look at this file and let me know what's different, or post an example. -- Charlie Busa "Ed Jobe" wrote in message news:41af6358$1_2@newsprd01... > Thank you Charlie. But when I set the endcap for the wall to Standard (None > is not available) that causes a conflict with the endcap for the opening > (which wraps the stud) when the two coincide, i.e. the opening is all the > way to the end of the "vertical" wall. If I choose Standard for the > opening's endcap, then the stud shows through on the other side of the > opening. aargh. I would think that somebody's run into this before? > > -- > ---- > Ed > ---- > "cbusa" wrote in message > news:41af5219$1_1@newsprd01... > > Hi Ed; > > > > If you select the vertical wall and grip edit the baseline end to the > inside > > face of the horizontal wall the two wall will not clean up. This is > assuming > > that the baseline of the horizontal wall is not on the "inside" on the > room. > > Then select the vertical wall, Right Click, cleanups and merge the wall to > > the horizontal wall. If you need a clean model view override the endcap > > style of the vertical wall and set this end to "None" > > > > I believe this will give the display you want > > > > -- > > Charlie Busa > > > > > > "Ed Jobe" wrote in message > > news:41af49bf$1_1@newsprd01... > > > I tried both. The cleanup group has no effect on the opening's endcaps. > If > > I > > > put the wall that has the opening in another cleanup group, the wall > > doesn't > > > cleanup at all. I still need it to cleanup at the upper portion where > the > > > header is, just not at the opening. I tried using an offset bottom on a > > new > > > wall style, but as I suspected, the gwb does not wrap the bottom. > However, > > > this is the best workaround I have so far...if I don't need to render a > > view > > > that shows the underside of the header. I would appreciate any other > > > suggestions. I'm still trying to learn adt. > > > > > > -- > > > ---- > > > Ed > > > ---- > > > "Ed Jobe" wrote in message > > > news:41adf89e$1_2@newsprd01... > > > > I tried making different endcaps, but not different cleanup groups. I > > also > > > > thought of using a segmented wall, but if I just offset the baseline, > > > would > > > > the gwb wrap around the underside of the header? > > > > > > > > -- > > > > ---- > > > > Ed > > > > ---- > > > > "Ken" > wrote > > > in > > > > message news:41ad46af_1@newsprd01... > > > > > or over-ride the cleanup on that end to "no" - i'm not sure but off > > the > > > > top > > > > > of my head > > > > > K > > > > > "Charles C Vincent" wrote in message > > > > > news:41ad175e$1_1@newsprd01... > > > > > > Ed, > > > > > > You could try to have different cleanup groups for those walls. > I've > > > > faced > > > > > > the same situation and that was the only way I could find out of > it. > > > > > > Now there's another way: get rid of the opening and use a base > line > > > > > > offset instead - always keeping the same base height, though. > > > > > > > > > > > > hope that helps. > > > > > > > > > > > > Charles > > > > > > > > > > > > Ed Jobe wrote: > > > > > >> Must have hit the file size limit. Here's the second one. > > > > > >> > > > > > >> -- > > > > > >> ---- > > > > > >> Ed > > > > > >> ---- > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 10 of 11
Anonymous

I got it! I abandoned the opening and made a door that had a 1/2" jamb of sheetrock. Then all I had to do is override the wall's endcap for one side of the opening...err, door. The only small caveat is that on the "horizontal" wall, the jamb shows as a separate object. It doesn't clean up with the gwb, but that's ok since it indicates where the header is. But the render looks good. -- ---- Ed ---- "cbusa" wrote in message news:41af5219$1_1@newsprd01... > Hi Ed; > > If you select the vertical wall and grip edit the baseline end to the inside > face of the horizontal wall the two wall will not clean up. This is assuming > that the baseline of the horizontal wall is not on the "inside" on the room. > Then select the vertical wall, Right Click, cleanups and merge the wall to > the horizontal wall. If you need a clean model view override the endcap > style of the vertical wall and set this end to "None" > > I believe this will give the display you want > > -- > Charlie Busa > > > "Ed Jobe" wrote in message > news:41af49bf$1_1@newsprd01... > > I tried both. The cleanup group has no effect on the opening's endcaps. If > I > > put the wall that has the opening in another cleanup group, the wall > doesn't > > cleanup at all. I still need it to cleanup at the upper portion where the > > header is, just not at the opening. I tried using an offset bottom on a > new > > wall style, but as I suspected, the gwb does not wrap the bottom. However, > > this is the best workaround I have so far...if I don't need to render a > view > > that shows the underside of the header. I would appreciate any other > > suggestions. I'm still trying to learn adt. > > > > -- > > ---- > > Ed > > ---- > > "Ed Jobe" wrote in message > > news:41adf89e$1_2@newsprd01... > > > I tried making different endcaps, but not different cleanup groups. I > also > > > thought of using a segmented wall, but if I just offset the baseline, > > would > > > the gwb wrap around the underside of the header? > > > > > > -- > > > ---- > > > Ed > > > ---- > > > "Ken" wrote > > in > > > message news:41ad46af_1@newsprd01... > > > > or over-ride the cleanup on that end to "no" - i'm not sure but off > the > > > top > > > > of my head > > > > K > > > > "Charles C Vincent" wrote in message > > > > news:41ad175e$1_1@newsprd01... > > > > > Ed, > > > > > You could try to have different cleanup groups for those walls. I've > > > faced > > > > > the same situation and that was the only way I could find out of it. > > > > > Now there's another way: get rid of the opening and use a base line > > > > > offset instead - always keeping the same base height, though. > > > > > > > > > > hope that helps. > > > > > > > > > > Charles > > > > > > > > > > Ed Jobe wrote: > > > > >> Must have hit the file size limit. Here's the second one. > > > > >> > > > > >> -- > > > > >> ---- > > > > >> Ed > > > > >> ---- > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 11 of 11
Anonymous

Here's the before and After versions. -- ---- Ed ---- "cbusa" wrote in message news:41af68f6_3@newsprd01... > Hi Ed; > > I must not be recreating your wall/opening correctly. Take a look at this > file and let me know what's different, or post an example. > > -- > Charlie Busa > > > "Ed Jobe" wrote in message > news:41af6358$1_2@newsprd01... > > Thank you Charlie. But when I set the endcap for the wall to Standard > (None > > is not available) that causes a conflict with the endcap for the opening > > (which wraps the stud) when the two coincide, i.e. the opening is all the > > way to the end of the "vertical" wall. If I choose Standard for the > > opening's endcap, then the stud shows through on the other side of the > > opening. aargh. I would think that somebody's run into this before? > > > > -- > > ---- > > Ed > > ---- > > "cbusa" wrote in message > > news:41af5219$1_1@newsprd01... > > > Hi Ed; > > > > > > If you select the vertical wall and grip edit the baseline end to the > > inside > > > face of the horizontal wall the two wall will not clean up. This is > > assuming > > > that the baseline of the horizontal wall is not on the "inside" on the > > room. > > > Then select the vertical wall, Right Click, cleanups and merge the wall > to > > > the horizontal wall. If you need a clean model view override the endcap > > > style of the vertical wall and set this end to "None" > > > > > > I believe this will give the display you want > > > > > > -- > > > Charlie Busa > > > > > > > > > "Ed Jobe" wrote in message > > > news:41af49bf$1_1@newsprd01... > > > > I tried both. The cleanup group has no effect on the opening's > endcaps. > > If > > > I > > > > put the wall that has the opening in another cleanup group, the wall > > > doesn't > > > > cleanup at all. I still need it to cleanup at the upper portion where > > the > > > > header is, just not at the opening. I tried using an offset bottom on > a > > > new > > > > wall style, but as I suspected, the gwb does not wrap the bottom. > > However, > > > > this is the best workaround I have so far...if I don't need to render > a > > > view > > > > that shows the underside of the header. I would appreciate any other > > > > suggestions. I'm still trying to learn adt. > > > > > > > > -- > > > > ---- > > > > Ed > > > > ---- > > > > "Ed Jobe" wrote in message > > > > news:41adf89e$1_2@newsprd01... > > > > > I tried making different endcaps, but not different cleanup groups. > I > > > also > > > > > thought of using a segmented wall, but if I just offset the > baseline, > > > > would > > > > > the gwb wrap around the underside of the header? > > > > > > > > > > -- > > > > > ---- > > > > > Ed > > > > > ---- > > > > > "Ken" > > wrote > > > > in > > > > > message news:41ad46af_1@newsprd01... > > > > > > or over-ride the cleanup on that end to "no" - i'm not sure but > off > > > the > > > > > top > > > > > > of my head > > > > > > K > > > > > > "Charles C Vincent" wrote in message > > > > > > news:41ad175e$1_1@newsprd01... > > > > > > > Ed, > > > > > > > You could try to have different cleanup groups for those walls. > > I've > > > > > faced > > > > > > > the same situation and that was the only way I could find out of > > it. > > > > > > > Now there's another way: get rid of the opening and use a base > > line > > > > > > > offset instead - always keeping the same base height, though. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > hope that helps. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Charles > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Ed Jobe wrote: > > > > > > >> Must have hit the file size limit. Here's the second one. > > > > > > >> > > > > > > >> -- > > > > > > >> ---- > > > > > > >> Ed > > > > > > >> ---- > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report