Announcements
IMPORTANT. Forum in Read Only mode. You can no longer submit new questions or replies. Please read this message for details
Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior
Welcome to Autodesk’s Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wall Chalenges

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Envision13
370 Views, 13 Replies

Wall Chalenges

I have attached three files that illustrate my problems. I would really like any help I could get. This is really perplexing to me.

The wall in the file wall01 by the cursor will not fully extend up to the roof. I can only get half of it to go up at one time.

The wall in the file wall02 will not extend up to the roof. I always get a red circle of death in an iso view when I try and project the roof up. This file also shows an anomaly I can't get rid of in the light circle area.

The ZIP file is the ADT 2004 drawing.
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Envision13
in reply to: Envision13

wall02 file
Message 3 of 14
calpolyarc

didn't open the adt file, but in my experience when I can only get half of a wall to extend at one time the best thing to do is draw a pline that follows the underside of the roof (where you want the wall to extend to) and then extend the wall to the pline instead of to the roof slabs.
Message 4 of 14
calpolyarc

ok opened the file... that 'cube' looking thing in img02 is wierd. For some reason when you pull out the overhang it pulls out that corner, maybe because it's an inside corner? It might have to do with your edge style. As for projecting the wall up, I used a pline and it worked.
Message was edited by: calpolyarc
Message 5 of 14
Envision13

Thanks for the help. So I can understand the workings of the wall project I would really like to find out why the walls are not working. If anyone else has some input it would be appreciated.
Thanks again for the help.
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous

an option to the pline just edit your wall in place, add a vertex and pull the gable up.Go to a right side view to be accurate. I have had this happen before, don't know the reason. The roof needs a profile drawn for gables. Although your overhangs match, I have always had to draw separate profiles for gable conditions Hope I helped a little "calpolyarc" wrote in message news:22298209.1084575130290.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > ok opened the file... that 'cube' looking thing in img02 isn't part of the wall, it's part of the roof. For some reason when you pull out the overhang it pulls out that corner, maybe because it's an inside corner? It might have to do with your edge style.
Message 7 of 14
Envision13

kstillwell,

Thanks for the suggestion. This method seems somewhat easier than trying to draw a polyline in the right location.

Did you have a look at the second image with the highlighted 'cube' thing? calpolyarc identified it correctly as part of the edge of the roof. Has anyone else had problems with inside corners when applying roof edge styles?

I am primarily using ADT to model buildings for 3D renderings. It is frustrating that these little glitches keep cropping up. If inside corners do not work well with roof edge styles it basically removes that tool from my toolbox to create 3D models. One little thing that is not well coordination can essentially remove a great feature.

I have posted before my concern that if the paradigm of 'Model in ADT - Render in VIZ Render' continues to be promoted a by AutoDesk then AutoDesk must look closer at how ADT works in 3D and not just project management and construction document generation.

Please any further help with these issue, or comments on the above statement, would be appreciated.
Message 8 of 14
calpolyarc

I have done a few projects with roof edge styles and never had a problem like yours on any inside corner. Try removing/editing your edge style to narrow down exactly what the problem is.
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous

your roof slab in too thick . change your slab thickness to 10 and the corner matches closer, and that protrusion goes away as I stated in a previous post, you need to draw profiles for your gables, because of the angle changes. "calpolyarc" wrote in message news:14513063.1084828172206.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > I have done a few projects with roof edge styles and never had a problem like yours on any inside corner. Try removing/editing your edge style to narrow down exactly what the problem is.
Message 10 of 14
Envision13

Calpolyarc, Thanks for you help. I would be very interested in how you set up your roof slabs with edge styles. Would you be willing to post an example of one you have working with an inside corner? The problem I am having with mine does seem to stem from the edge style but I can’t seem to isolate what part I am doing wrong. I set my roof plate height at 8’ and gave the roof a thickness of 3’-3 1/4". I did this to get the soffit and fascia in the correct position.

Kstillwell, You sugest reducing the thickness of the roof. I have tried this but obviously the whole roof moves down and the soffit and fascia move out of place. I can probably remedy this by moving up the plate height. I set my roof plate height at 8’ and gave the roof a thickness of 3’-3 1/4". I did this to get the soffit and fascia in the correct position. Do you have any roof slabs with inside corners that work well. You are right about the need for a different profile for the gables. Do you think this is pert of the problem are simply needed for greater accuracy?

Thanks for the suggestions and feedback. They have been very helpful.
Message 11 of 14
calpolyarc

Here is a Roof... I don't understand what you mean by 'the roof a thickness of 3'-3 1/4" to get the soffit and fascia in the correct position'? Is your roof supposed to be 3'-3 1/4" thick? Or did you only make it that thick to satisfy the soffit/fascia location? Do you have an eave detail that you can post?
Message 12 of 14
Envision13

yes, I made the roof 3'-3 1/4" to satisfy the soffit/fascia location. I have attached a wall section that illiterates what I am trying approximate
Message 13 of 14
calpolyarc

Check this dwg out... you needed two different edge styles, one for the eave condition and one for the rake condition.
Message 14 of 14
Anonymous

check out the change. As I said before your roof is too thick. That is what is sticking out in the corner. You have to consider the pivot point and your thickness can't be larger than your fascia. I think the sections match almost you can tweak as needed "envision" wrote in message news:7817728.1084910822900.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > yes, I made the roof 3'-3 1/4" to satisfy the soffit/fascia location. I have attached a wall section that illiterates what I am trying approximate

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report