Announcements
IMPORTANT. Forum in Read Only mode. You can no longer submit new questions or replies. Please read this message for details
Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior
Welcome to Autodesk’s Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble Assigning Plot Styles

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
teflon_tommy
5184 Views, 7 Replies

Trouble Assigning Plot Styles

Hi all,

I would like to plot a drawing whereby I can set the plot styles on all layers to monchrome, and then select a couple of layers to plot in their respective colour. I expect that I should be able to manage this from the layer properties manager, however the column for 'Plot Style' will not allow me to make any alterations. I read somewhere that I should try to change the plot style designation:

When I try to toggle between the two plot designations using  command 'CONVERTPSTYLES' it seems to error..... or at least it'll not allow me to select from the suggested saved plotstyles.

I have experimentend with, and created CTB's and STB's and have had no luck. (I think I have gathered a reasonable understanding of what the two styles SHOULD do)

Does this software have a bug? Or more likely..... What am I doing wrong.

Hope somebody can help.

Ohhhh,

Currently running Architecture 2007....

But imminently awaiting BRAND NEW Architecture 2012 Package

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
David_W_Koch
in reply to: teflon_tommy

If you want to stick with CTBs, you will need a CTB file that assigns the printing color Black to all (or most all) of the plot styles (which correspond to drawing colors). For things you want in color, you can either choose a few plot styles whose colors are not being used in the drawing, and assign the colors you want to them -OR- assign a True-Color value to the layer (or object) that you want to plot in color. If you want to use an STB file, you can create a named plot style (called, perhaps, Color) and set that to plot by object color, for layers/objects you want to plot in color (and then assign the desired color to the layers/objects). You would also need at least one plot style that plots Black for the non-color items. It sounds like the drawing you have uses CTB files. The CONVERTPSTYLES command will convert between CTB and STB. Conversion from STB to CTB requires no additional work. Conversion from CTB to STB requires that you have a translation STB file made from your current CTB file, which is done using the CONVERTCTB command.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 8
teflon_tommy

Hi David,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my query, I have worked through your suggestions with no success.

I have for the purposes of trial and error created both STB & CTB files.

You say it sounds like my drawing is set to CTB. I have attempted to convert from CTB to STB (and vice versa) several times with no joy. Where can I verify the drawing's current status?

I'm sure that in this instance the CTB would NOT be suitable for what I'm trying to achieve with this dwg. 

I think I definitely need to be using  STB...

SO.... 

When trying to switch from CTB to STB using the CONVERTCTB command, a dialogue box is opened where you can select the conversion files.

ALL of the files that are listed for me here are CTB files. Is this correct or do I have an incorrect file path somewhere?

I should let you know that throughout all of my trial and error so far, I have yet to find the 'plot style' column in the layer properties manager be functional. It appears grey, and the plot styles cannot be altered.

None of the layers on the drawing are locked.

Any kind of enlightenment would be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Tom

Message 4 of 8
David_W_Koch

A gray plot style column generally means your file is set to use CTB (since you cannot directly set a plot style in a CTB file - you set the color and the associated plot style automatically follows).  I have seen files where, immediately after conversion from CTB to STB, the Plot Style column remains locked, and clicking the Refresh button on the Layer Manager palette does not unlock the column.  Saving, closing and reopening the file generally restores the column.  Do your plot styles read as "ColorXXX", where XXX indicates the color number?  If so, you are in a CTB file.

CONVERTCTB does not convert your drawing.  What it does is allow you to pick a CTB file that you use and create an STB file that can be used to translate a file to STB.  Pick the CTB file that you are using with a file that you want to convert.  Create the new STB file using CONVERTCTB.  Then use CONVERTPSTYLES, and when prompted to select an STB file, choose the STB file that you created using CONVERTCTB.  You should end up with an STB file that has plot styles like OLD_PEN_01, etc.

CONVERTCTB will create a plot style for each unique combination of settings in the selected CTB file (named for the lowest color number where that set is found).  When you run CONVERTPSTYLES, the color-based plot styles get replaced with the STB plot style that corresponds to the color-based settings.  If you have an office-standard STB file, chances are you will need to reassign the proper plot styles (script files are great for doing this, if you have standardized your layers).  Or you could just keep using the conversion STB file, and use the Normal plot style for layers/objects you want to plot in color.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 5 of 8
teflon_tommy
in reply to: David_W_Koch

David,

Thankyou so much.

That was a very concise guide! I'd even tried AutoCAD for dummies to no avail.

Tom

Message 6 of 8
teflon_tommy

I have successfully set the plot style to the 'named' varient, however, I think could well have been celebrating prematurely.

I have a layer I would like to print in colour (to contrast against an otherwise monochrome dwg), but this layer has various colours within it.

Is it actially possible for the plot style to process this layer?

Regards,

Tom

Message 7 of 8
David_W_Koch

You should be able to do what you want. If you want the objects on the layer that you want to plot in color to plot with the color that the objects currently have (multiple colors), just set the plot style's Color property to "Use object color", rather than to an explicit color. Assign that plot style to the layer, and keep the plot style of all of your objects on that layer to "by layer". If, on the other hand, you want them all to plot with one color (not necessarily the object color), then you will need to set up a plot style that has the desired color explicitly assigned in the plot style.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 8 of 8
teflon_tommy
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Hi David,

That's got it. The object's plot style properties weren't set to 'By Layer.

Thank you for the crash course in 'Named Plot Styles' David. You've really helped me out of a rut!

All the very best to you.

Regards,

Tom

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report