Announcements
IMPORTANT. Forum in Read Only mode. You can no longer submit new questions or replies. Please read this message for details
Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior
Welcome to Autodesk’s Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange Zoom Behavior in ADT 2005

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
186 Views, 13 Replies

Strange Zoom Behavior in ADT 2005

If I am zooming in or out of a drawing using the wheel on my mouse then every so often the drawing becomes jaggy and looks like I've zoomed in on a raster image. Then I can't zoom in or out anymore to get the entire view back. I didn't experience this in 2004. I'm running a P4 2.8 ghz. 1 gig of ram. Nvidia 5200 8X with 128 meg of ram and the latest Nvidia drivers (56.72). Has anyone else had this problem with scroll zooming? It's happened on two different drawings of mine.
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Have not had that particular problem. Mine has been that most of time when I go to zoom or scroll the drawing blanks out and I have to guess as to where I am at until I release the scroll or zoom.
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous

Along with the crashes you are seeing, this feels like it might be related to display driver problems. Are you using hardware or software acceleration? regards Mark "Wish I had 3.3" wrote in message news:1428750.1086965506515.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1... > Have not had that particular problem. Mine has been that most of time when I go to zoom or scroll the drawing blanks out and I have to guess as to where I am at until I release the scroll or zoom.
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous

Software acceleration. Should I switch? "mark webb, autodesk" wrote in message news:40ca11a2$1_3@newsprd01... > Along with the crashes you are seeing, this feels like it might be related > to display driver problems. > > Are you using hardware or software acceleration? > > regards > Mark > > "Wish I had 3.3" wrote in message > news:1428750.1086965506515.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1... > > Have not had that particular problem. Mine has been that most of time when > I go to zoom or scroll the drawing blanks out and I have to guess as to > where I am at until I release the scroll or zoom. > >
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous

I've experienced the same zoom problem using the same video card and driver, so I'll jump on the bandwagon. This issue also sounds similar to the "Zoom cartoon" post. Is this on Autodesk's "Fix me" list, or has anyone found a solution?

Additional information:
Screenshot attached. Drawing audit found no errors in this particular file.
I'm running a Dell Dimension with Windows XP and Nvidia Geforce FX 5200 128Mb RAM. Probably a common machine for architects.
Bug does not occur with ADT 2004.
Bug occurs in both hardware and software accelleration modes (set in ADT).
Bug occurs regardless of display properties hardware accelleration level (set from XP desktop).

Thanks in advance for any help.
Message 6 of 14
mlivingston

We are experiencing the same problem. I am pretty sure it is the Nvidia Geforce FX 5200 card that is causing the problem. I have changed one of the cards to a Matrox and am not getting the error anymore.

I have tried all the drivers for the Nvidia including the newest one, but my problem was not resolved. If anyone comes up with a solution for this, I would be most grateful to hear it.

UPDATE: It's not the video card. I've just experienced the same problem with the replacement card. This problem is crippling us.

Morgan Livingston
Message was edited by: mlivingston
Message 7 of 14
foruma000064

I've had this problem going on for 3 years now starting with R2000i and continuing on with ADT2005.
Used to happen on a Matrox Millenium 32mb Card and is now happening with an Nvidea Quadro FX500.
I have 1 mb Ram on my system running at something like 10% capacity doing very simple 2d building layouts.

Now, this problem only seems to occur when drawings contain TRUE TYPE fonts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bog standard shx's don't cause this problem so there is the common link.
Got asked the usual questions...correct display driver etc etc etc but no actual solution provided and funnily enough I'm the only person to ever have suffered this!!
Still waiting for a fix after 3 years so don't hold your breath guys!
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous

Our office has true-type text on almost all drawings and 90% never exhibit the bug. In fact complex drawings with a lot of text are less prone than small files. Strange!

But you are definitely on to something. I tried freezing text layers on the file with the worst zoom problem (attached), and zoom behaved normally. I couldn't get the zoom bug to appear. When I turned the text back on, the bug appeared within 5 or 10 edit and mouse wheel zoom operations.

By the way, installing the recently released 61.77 Nvidia drivers had not effect.
Message 9 of 14
foruma000064

Hi Jeff, you're correct. It doesn't happen on ALL my drawings with TTF's on, just a select few, say 2 out of 10.
I'm struggling to find the common link I must admit.

The only way I've found of curing the problem is rebooting and starting a clean session. Closing ADT and restarting the program will have a temporary effect but as you say, within 5 - 10 commands the problem returns.

Lets hope some bright spark from Autodesk actually reads this and they can pull thier finger out!!!!

I can provide drawings that exhibit this strange behaviour if anyone from Autodesk wants them.
Message 10 of 14
Anonymous

From what I can see Greg started this thread a long time ago. Greg, what model of dell does he have? Does this system use an intel 875 chipset? Does any when else out there having this problem have specific mobo & chipset info to share. I have two clients with this problem both on an intel 875 chipset. I established a case with autodesk through the reseller support channel 3 weeks ago and it has yet to be resolved. The problem is prevelent regardless of dwg, o/s, video card type & more. Switching to a PCI video card typically will stop this bad zoom behavior. Thanks, Joe Schmidt "Gary Higgins" wrote in message news:23044453.1091205098151.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Hi Jeff, you're correct. It doesn't happen on ALL my drawings with TTF's on, just a select few, say 2 out of 10. > I'm struggling to find the common link I must admit. > > The only way I've found of curing the problem is rebooting and starting a clean session. Closing ADT and restarting the program will have a temporary effect but as you say, within 5 - 10 commands the problem returns. > > Lets hope some bright spark from Autodesk actually reads this and they can pull thier finger out!!!! > > I can provide drawings that exhibit this strange behaviour if anyone from Autodesk wants them.
Message 11 of 14
sean.brooks

I to have the same problem - I think I mentioned it in the "Zoom Cartoon" post.
It has happened on all our machines within the office with various different types of graphics cards from ATI FIREGLX1-128 to NIVIDIA QUADRO2 PRO.
I have found a common link with our drawings - it only happens on drawings that have a lot of hatching on, otherwise there is no problem at all and the only way out is to save the drawing and then re-open it and then try not to use the mouse wheel and use the zoom and window commands within AutoCAD which seems to make it happen less often.
This problem only started when we all upgraded to ADT 2005 - we have one machine with ADT 2004 on it and this problem has never happened on this machine even when we opened the same drawing file that had the problem when opened up in ADT 2005.

Sean.
Message 12 of 14
Anonymous

We had this problem, to fix it go to hte TOOLS pulldown menu, click on OPTIONS. Then select the USER PREFERENCES tab and click on the LINEWEIGHTS SETTINGS button. Then in that dialog box make sure DISPLAY LINEWEIGHTS is unchecked. Hope this hepls!
Message 13 of 14
Anonymous

I have the exact same problem on two of my systems Greg wrote: > If I am zooming in or out of a drawing using the wheel on my mouse then > every so often the drawing becomes jaggy and looks like I've zoomed in on a > raster image. Then I can't zoom in or out anymore to get the entire view > back. I didn't experience this in 2004. I'm running a P4 2.8 ghz. 1 gig of > ram. Nvidia 5200 8X with 128 meg of ram and the latest Nvidia drivers > (56.72). Has anyone else had this problem with scroll zooming? It's happened > on two different drawings of mine. > >
Message 14 of 14
Steve Crow

You are all going the same route I was when this problem with ADT reared it's ugly head. I have been watching the groups 'cos I have a few customers with the same problem. I did some digging and origiinally thought graphics drivers, graphics cards etc. as you do. Turns out to be multithreading (hyperthreading?) PCs. In ADT change the variable WHIPTHREAD from 2 (the default in ADT2005) to 1 and the problem goes away. AutoCAD has it already set to 1 in 2005 so that's why it only shows in ADT2005.

AutoDesk - get this logged on the KnowledgeBase, I'll lay claim to sorting this one!

Cheers
Steve Crow
NTC MicroCAD - UK
Message was edited by: Steve Crow

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report