Announcements
IMPORTANT. Forum in Read Only mode. You can no longer submit new questions or replies. Please read this message for details
Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior
Welcome to Autodesk’s Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slab display through Xrefs

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
GMcDowellJr
401 Views, 8 Replies

Slab display through Xrefs

I've got a Construct file with a series of Slabs and Walls that "fold" up the building (sort of like a ribbon wrapping around up, around and through the building). In the Construct I've got the Display set to show the different slabs as outlines or hidden lines depending on what floor you're on (by moving the entire model up or down in the Z axis I'm able to see what I expect). But when I Xref the file into an upper floor (drag-n-drop from PN) it still displays as though it's on the first floor. If I just copy/paste the slabs into the floor at the correct Z it displays correctly. Is there something I'm missing with Slab display?
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
GMcDowellJr
in reply to: GMcDowellJr

Mind if I bump? Hope not... just did!
Message 3 of 9
GMcDowellJr

Still trying to sort this one out.

The only way I was able to accomplish this was by the use of Display Configuration Overrides... lots of them (one for each level). AND... I had to change way too many Display Reps by Object.

Take a look at the attached file (a 6 story parking garage ramp) and tell me if you know of a better way. For this exercise I would have preferred to use a Stair/Ramp but couldn't figure out the Min/Max/Optimal settings.

Even so, there are other times when I've tried using Slabs like this that I would still have needed a better solution than what I came up with.

The only other idea I had was to put each set of slabs in its own file... maybe I'll try that next time.
Message 4 of 9
calpolyarc

When I create stairs that span more than 1 floor (same idea as you ramp) I create each 'flight' into it's own construct. So Stairs I construct would have stairs from the gound level to the 2nd floor, Stairs II from the 2nd to the 3rd floor, etc...

Then, lets say I'm looking at my 2nd floor plan View, I xref Stairs I and Stairs II in. Then they both get display config overrides, Stairs I gets an override that will only display stairs going 'down' to the cut plane, Stairs II only diplays stairs 'up' to the cut plane. Probably easier to show graphically, see attached.

Well after creating the image I don't know if it will help or just confuse you more.... good luck and feel free to ask more questions.

I should note that the Plan drawing is the First Level Floor Plan. Message was edited by: calpolyarc
Message 5 of 9
GMcDowellJr

Yeah... I think that's what I'm going to HAVE to do with Slabs to make it work.

Did you know that with Stairs you can put them all in one drawing (and using the Stair Tower Generate tool can help) and get the Up/Down to read correctly "automatically"? Just need to uncheck Override Display Configuration Cut Plane in the Display Rep.

I was hoping that other objects, like Slabs, would be smart enough not to show up when xreffed into a drawing if they're below the Display Below Range as defined in the current Display Configuration. They are if they're not part of an xref (i.e. if I Bind and Explode out to Slabs it works just fine) but for some reason when they're part of a Block or Xref they get treated like all one big object.
Message 6 of 9
calpolyarc

Correct me if I'm wrong, but having all of the stairs in one drawing and getting them to display correctly at any/all levels only works if all of the flights are exactly the same, like in a 'tower' situation. No?
Granted, 2 of the flights in the image I posted were the same, but that was only 1 of 8 different staircases in the project where most flights are different then the ones above/below them.
Message 7 of 9
GMcDowellJr

hmmmm... don't know yet... good question. i'm working on a project right now that will test that out (if I can ever get to that part of it) - i'll try and remember to post back if nobody does before then
Message 8 of 9
GMcDowellJr

Finally got around to working on the stair towers in my project... and you CAN get the stairs to be all in one drawing even if they are different heights... but, in order to make them display correctly you will likely need a unique Display Configuration (with a new Set and Rep) for each change in stair height. In my case that's not too hard to manage (though it did take just a bit of head scratching and I wouldn't want others in my firm to see what I went through) but I can see how it could cause issues.

Just wanted to post back in case anyone else was curious.
Message 9 of 9
calpolyarc

Thanks for posting back Greg.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report