Announcements
IMPORTANT. Forum in Read Only mode. You can no longer submit new questions or replies. Please read this message for details
Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior
Welcome to Autodesk’s Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sheetset confusion

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
126 Views, 3 Replies

sheetset confusion

Is anyone aware of any good tutorials on sheetsets in adt05? The more I read and the more I experiment, the more confused I'm getting.
I just want to set up 6 or 8 sheetset templates for different job types, using my titleblock.

Thank You,
Phil
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

OK - here's an overview. You got your DST file which stores all the sheet set data... You got fields now which make smart callouts... ADT section, callout and elevation annotations have these fields in them to work with the Sheet Set / Project Navigator... If you want to use your existing titleblock, edit the attributes and insert a field for the default value. From fields, go to the SheetSetPlaceholder category and choose what you want from there; the goobledygook that gets inserted, whether just sitting in a text box or attribute, tells AutoCAD what to put in for a value. SheetSetPlaceholder is probably the most common field type you'll want. The DST file (which in ADT is stored in the same folder as the APJ file) stores all the data about sheet and view names and numbers; the DWGs look at this file to get the data they need to fill out the fields. In AutoCAD a DWG gets some data written into the header which tells it which DST file it's associated with -- this may be true with ADT too or maybe it's done with XML: I can't remember which. Once the elevations or sections or plans are dragged onto sheets in Project Navigator, the fields fill in automatically. Note that you can associate a block for the viewport title when you drag and drop the views onto sheets -- another nice touch. I don't know how many people are going to set up sheet sets in their office, but they all should. Thanks to DWF and DWF Composer and the inroads that are being made to use DWFs for large scale reproduction, you really ought to get sheet sets going in your office even if you have to donate your brain to science afterward. DWFs are such giddy fun, don't you know! W. "hiline" wrote in message news:6101081.1083086242988.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Is anyone aware of any good tutorials on sheetsets in adt05? The more I read and the more I experiment, the more confused I'm getting. > I just want to set up 6 or 8 sheetset templates for different job types, using my titleblock. > > Thank You, > Phil
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

To add to Wes' great overview, there is a tutorial that walks you through the process of converting your old titleblock template to use the new features. http://autodesk.blogs.com/between_the_walls/2004/03/create_your_own.html. I also suggest looking at the out-of-the-box sheet templates (dwt), such as, Aec Sheet (Imperial Stb).dwt. Also of note is that when you create a new project in ADT, the sheet set file (.dst) is automatically created for you. You will just need to edit it to suit your needs after the fact. A new sheet set should also be created when you open an ADT 2004 project in ADT 2005. Finally, the 'Architectural Desktop User's Guide' covers this under the topic: 'General Information' > 'Drawing Management' > 'The Project Templates' and under 'Creating a Sheet Set Template'. -- chris yanchar | product designer building solutions division | autodesk, inc. http://autodesk.blogs.com/between_the_walls/ "Wes Macaulay" wrote in message news:4091fb1a$1_3@newsprd01... OK - here's an overview. You got your DST file which stores all the sheet set data... You got fields now which make smart callouts... ADT section, callout and elevation annotations have these fields in them to work with the Sheet Set / Project Navigator... If you want to use your existing titleblock, edit the attributes and insert a field for the default value. From fields, go to the SheetSetPlaceholder category and choose what you want from there; the goobledygook that gets inserted, whether just sitting in a text box or attribute, tells AutoCAD what to put in for a value. SheetSetPlaceholder is probably the most common field type you'll want. The DST file (which in ADT is stored in the same folder as the APJ file) stores all the data about sheet and view names and numbers; the DWGs look at this file to get the data they need to fill out the fields. In AutoCAD a DWG gets some data written into the header which tells it which DST file it's associated with -- this may be true with ADT too or maybe it's done with XML: I can't remember which. Once the elevations or sections or plans are dragged onto sheets in Project Navigator, the fields fill in automatically. Note that you can associate a block for the viewport title when you drag and drop the views onto sheets -- another nice touch. I don't know how many people are going to set up sheet sets in their office, but they all should. Thanks to DWF and DWF Composer and the inroads that are being made to use DWFs for large scale reproduction, you really ought to get sheet sets going in your office even if you have to donate your brain to science afterward. DWFs are such giddy fun, don't you know! W. "hiline" wrote in message news:6101081.1083086242988.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Is anyone aware of any good tutorials on sheetsets in adt05? The more I read and the more I experiment, the more confused I'm getting. > I just want to set up 6 or 8 sheetset templates for different job types, using my titleblock. > > Thank You, > Phil
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

No wonder I'm so insecure. These are nice blogs! Much better than the blogs you usually see! W. "chris yanchar - autodesk" wrote in message news:40925062$1_1@newsprd01... > To add to Wes' great overview, there is a tutorial that walks you through > the process of converting your old titleblock template to use the new > features. > http://autodesk.blogs.com/between_the_walls/2004/03/create_your_own.html. > I also suggest looking at the out-of-the-box sheet templates (dwt), such as, > Aec Sheet (Imperial Stb).dwt. > > Also of note is that when you create a new project in ADT, the sheet set > file (.dst) is automatically created for you. You will just need to edit it > to suit your needs after the fact. A new sheet set should also be created > when you open an ADT 2004 project in ADT 2005. > > Finally, the 'Architectural Desktop User's Guide' covers this under the > topic: 'General Information' > 'Drawing Management' > 'The Project > Templates' and under 'Creating a Sheet Set Template'. > > -- > chris yanchar | product designer > building solutions division | autodesk, inc. > http://autodesk.blogs.com/between_the_walls/ > > > "Wes Macaulay" wrote in message > news:4091fb1a$1_3@newsprd01... > OK - here's an overview. > > You got your DST file which stores all the sheet set data... > You got fields now which make smart callouts... > ADT section, callout and elevation annotations have these fields in them to > work with the Sheet Set / Project Navigator... > > If you want to use your existing titleblock, edit the attributes and insert > a field for the default value. From fields, go to the SheetSetPlaceholder > category and choose what you want from there; the goobledygook that gets > inserted, whether just sitting in a text box or attribute, tells AutoCAD > what to put in for a value. SheetSetPlaceholder is probably the most common > field type you'll want. > > The DST file (which in ADT is stored in the same folder as the APJ file) > stores all the data about sheet and view names and numbers; the DWGs look at > this file to get the data they need to fill out the fields. In AutoCAD a > DWG gets some data written into the header which tells it which DST file > it's associated with -- this may be true with ADT too or maybe it's done > with XML: I can't remember which. > > Once the elevations or sections or plans are dragged onto sheets in Project > Navigator, the fields fill in automatically. Note that you can associate a > block for the viewport title when you drag and drop the views onto sheets -- > another nice touch. > > I don't know how many people are going to set up sheet sets in their office, > but they all should. Thanks to DWF and DWF Composer and the inroads that > are being made to use DWFs for large scale reproduction, you really ought to > get sheet sets going in your office even if you have to donate your brain to > science afterward. DWFs are such giddy fun, don't you know! > > W. > > "hiline" wrote in message > news:6101081.1083086242988.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > > Is anyone aware of any good tutorials on sheetsets in adt05? The more I > read and the more I experiment, the more confused I'm getting. > > I just want to set up 6 or 8 sheetset templates for different job types, > using my titleblock. > > > > Thank You, > > Phil > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report