Announcements
IMPORTANT. Forum in Read Only mode. You can no longer submit new questions or replies. Please read this message for details
Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior
Welcome to Autodesk’s Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to convert an ellipse to a series of arcs?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
425 Views, 5 Replies

How to convert an ellipse to a series of arcs?

Group; I have an elliptical shaped opening and need to convert it to a series of arcs. Can this type of conversion be done? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks; Edward Borg Precision Drafting LLC http://precisiondraftingllc.com
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Set pellipse to 1 This won't give you arcs, but you'll get consistant vertices at the arcs. Not sure if this helps, but thought I'd throw that out there. "Cadkiller" wrote in message news:419270c5$1_3@newsprd01... > Group; > > I have an elliptical shaped opening and need to convert it to a series of > arcs. > Can this type of conversion be done? > Any help would be appreciated. > > Thanks; > Edward Borg > Precision Drafting LLC > http://precisiondraftingllc.com > >
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

If I'm not missing a step, this should work. I'm typing this from memory! 1. Change pellipse variable to 1 so that you are drawing old style ellipses ( actually segmented polylines) 2. Draw or trace your ellipse. 3. PEDIT your ellipse and pick the FIT curve option. 4. Trim away the unneeded portion of your ellipse. 5. Explode the remaining polyarc ellipse. -- David Claflin "Paul Humphrey" wrote in message news:41927359$1_1@newsprd01... > Set pellipse to 1 > > This won't give you arcs, but you'll get consistant vertices at the arcs. > > Not sure if this helps, but thought I'd throw that out there. > > > > "Cadkiller" wrote in message > news:419270c5$1_3@newsprd01... > > Group; > > > > I have an elliptical shaped opening and need to convert it to a series of > > arcs. > > Can this type of conversion be done? > > Any help would be appreciated. > > > > Thanks; > > Edward Borg > > Precision Drafting LLC > > http://precisiondraftingllc.com > > > > > >
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

If the previous "solutions" don't work, you canuse the divide or measure commands to lay auxiliary points that you can later connect using PLINE. You might also need to set PDMODE to something like 3 and PDSIZE to something like 1 or another suitable size, to see the points (nodes). Regards from Los Angeles, Emmanuel "David Claflin" wrote in message news:41928335$1_3@newsprd01... > If I'm not missing a step, this should work. I'm typing this from memory! > > 1. Change pellipse variable to 1 so that you are drawing old style ellipses > ( actually segmented polylines) > 2. Draw or trace your ellipse. > 3. PEDIT your ellipse and pick the FIT curve option. > 4. Trim away the unneeded portion of your ellipse. > 5. Explode the remaining polyarc ellipse. > > -- > David Claflin > > > > "Paul Humphrey" wrote in message news:41927359$1_1@newsprd01... > > Set pellipse to 1 > > > > This won't give you arcs, but you'll get consistant vertices at the arcs. > > > > Not sure if this helps, but thought I'd throw that out there. > > > > > > > > "Cadkiller" wrote in message > > news:419270c5$1_3@newsprd01... > > > Group; > > > > > > I have an elliptical shaped opening and need to convert it to a series > of > > > arcs. > > > Can this type of conversion be done? > > > Any help would be appreciated. > > > > > > Thanks; > > > Edward Borg > > > Precision Drafting LLC > > > http://precisiondraftingllc.com > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

Group; I tried the Pellipse set to 1 and when I create an ellipse, it is constructed of a series of Plines that I can get degree and radii info from. This is what I want and need. The only thing is when I have my ellipse over the original ellipse it isn't the same. I tried the fit feature; but nothing happens. What am I doing wrong? The original ellipses are all splines and one ellipse I don't even know what it is. I can not explode or convert any of them. I will have to recreate them and get them as close as possible. You know how when you select and object and right click you get an edit Pline or edit Spline. Some of the objects I select and right click I don't get any edit options just a convert to. Why is this happening? What is this object? Here is the file you want to check it out. Thanks; Edward Borg Precision Drafting LLC http://precisiondraftingllc.com "Emmanuel A. Garcia" wrote in message news:41930196$1_1@newsprd01... > If the previous "solutions" don't work, you canuse the divide or measure > commands to lay auxiliary points that you can later connect using PLINE. > You > might also need to set PDMODE to something like 3 and PDSIZE to something > like 1 or another suitable size, to see the points (nodes). > > Regards from Los Angeles, > > Emmanuel > > "David Claflin" wrote in message > news:41928335$1_3@newsprd01... >> If I'm not missing a step, this should work. I'm typing this from >> memory! >> >> 1. Change pellipse variable to 1 so that you are drawing old style > ellipses >> ( actually segmented polylines) >> 2. Draw or trace your ellipse. >> 3. PEDIT your ellipse and pick the FIT curve option. >> 4. Trim away the unneeded portion of your ellipse. >> 5. Explode the remaining polyarc ellipse. >> >> -- >> David Claflin >> >> >> >> "Paul Humphrey" wrote in message > news:41927359$1_1@newsprd01... >> > Set pellipse to 1 >> > >> > This won't give you arcs, but you'll get consistant vertices at the > arcs. >> > >> > Not sure if this helps, but thought I'd throw that out there. >> > >> > >> > >> > "Cadkiller" wrote in message >> > news:419270c5$1_3@newsprd01... >> > > Group; >> > > >> > > I have an elliptical shaped opening and need to convert it to a >> > > series >> of >> > > arcs. >> > > Can this type of conversion be done? >> > > Any help would be appreciated. >> > > >> > > Thanks; >> > > Edward Borg >> > > Precision Drafting LLC >> > > http://precisiondraftingllc.com >> > > >> > > >> > >> > >> >> > >
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

The pellipse=1 option creates an approximation of an ellipse. It actually creates a 16 arc segment polyline. I don't think you can explode an ellipse (pellipse=0) and I don't know of an AutoLISP program that will allow you to specify a greater accuracy, but there may be one out there. -- David Claflin "Cadkiller" wrote in message news:4193a6cb_1@newsprd01... > Group; > > I tried the Pellipse set to 1 and when I create an ellipse, it is > constructed of a series of Plines that I can get degree and radii info from. > This is what I want and need. The only thing is when I have my ellipse over > the original ellipse it isn't the same. I tried the fit feature; but nothing > happens. What am I doing wrong? The original ellipses are all splines and > one ellipse I don't even know what it is. I can not explode or convert any > of them. I will have to recreate them and get them as close as possible. > > You know how when you select and object and right click you get an edit > Pline or edit Spline. Some of the objects I select and right click I don't > get any edit options just a convert to. Why is this happening? What is this > object? > > Here is the file you want to check it out. > > Thanks; > Edward Borg > Precision Drafting LLC > http://precisiondraftingllc.com > > "Emmanuel A. Garcia" wrote in message > news:41930196$1_1@newsprd01... > > If the previous "solutions" don't work, you canuse the divide or measure > > commands to lay auxiliary points that you can later connect using PLINE. > > You > > might also need to set PDMODE to something like 3 and PDSIZE to something > > like 1 or another suitable size, to see the points (nodes). > > > > Regards from Los Angeles, > > > > Emmanuel > > > > "David Claflin" wrote in message > > news:41928335$1_3@newsprd01... > >> If I'm not missing a step, this should work. I'm typing this from > >> memory! > >> > >> 1. Change pellipse variable to 1 so that you are drawing old style > > ellipses > >> ( actually segmented polylines) > >> 2. Draw or trace your ellipse. > >> 3. PEDIT your ellipse and pick the FIT curve option. > >> 4. Trim away the unneeded portion of your ellipse. > >> 5. Explode the remaining polyarc ellipse. > >> > >> -- > >> David Claflin > >> > >> > >> > >> "Paul Humphrey" wrote in message > > news:41927359$1_1@newsprd01... > >> > Set pellipse to 1 > >> > > >> > This won't give you arcs, but you'll get consistant vertices at the > > arcs. > >> > > >> > Not sure if this helps, but thought I'd throw that out there. > >> > > >> > > >> > > >> > "Cadkiller" wrote in message > >> > news:419270c5$1_3@newsprd01... > >> > > Group; > >> > > > >> > > I have an elliptical shaped opening and need to convert it to a > >> > > series > >> of > >> > > arcs. > >> > > Can this type of conversion be done? > >> > > Any help would be appreciated. > >> > > > >> > > Thanks; > >> > > Edward Borg > >> > > Precision Drafting LLC > >> > > http://precisiondraftingllc.com > >> > > > >> > > > >> > > >> > > >> > >> > > > > > > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report