Announcements
IMPORTANT. Forum in Read Only mode. You can no longer submit new questions or replies. Please read this message for details
Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior
Welcome to Autodesk’s Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edit Elevations Linework

24 REPLIES 24
Message 1 of 25
Anonymous
705 Views, 24 Replies

Edit Elevations Linework

Can someone tell me why you can not trim, extend and so on when editing elevations (if it does how do I get it to do it)? Seems like logical thing to me, anyway is there a addon to ADT that will allow me to do this? Don't get me wrong the elevations ADT produces is getting better and better but I think some more work needs to be done.

Any tips and tricks would be nice since I don't have a ton of ADT experience.

Thanks everyone
24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25
markpnet
in reply to: Anonymous

The best thing to do to extend is to put in the extra linework and merge. to trim edit linework and change component to hidden then insert linework and again, merge it...
Message 3 of 25
Anonymous

So are you suggesting keeping plan (roof edges and wall styles) simple then adding the detail to the elevation? I have a lot of fine details in my drawings/projects (3 board fascias, different stone types, stone header and sill, ect.) which I like to show in plan and elevation. If I have to draw those details and then add that to the elevations I am all most (but not quite - don't want to go backwards) better off drawing elevations with line work like I have been. Anyway I will try it and see what happens.

Thanks!!!
Message 4 of 25
calpolyarc

I design custom homes that can have complex details as well. My method is to build the 3-d model as much as budgetly possible. I then generate elevations and sections using ADT's generation tool. But I only use what ADT gives me as a base that I trace over. Manipulating colors, merging lines, dealing with divisions, etc. is too much for me. I have created a bunch of standard tools that makes the tracing technique a snap. If you would like more information reply to this message.

Just a suggestion!
Message 5 of 25
Anonymous

Hi I am really intersting in read about your creation method, we are trying to customize that process but is very complicated. but your comments are very interesting. "calpolyarc" wrote in message news:9376887.1088721906295.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > I design custom homes that can have complex details as well. My method is to build the 3-d model as much as budgetly possible. I then generate elevations and sections using ADT's generation tool. But I only use what ADT gives me as a base that I trace over. Manipulating colors, merging lines, dealing with divisions, etc. is too much for me. I have created a bunch of standard tools that makes the tracing technique a snap. If you would like more information reply to this message. > > Just a suggestion!
Message 6 of 25
Anonymous

Am all ways welcome to new ideas and practices!! I think Autodesk is on the right path they just need to work on the details. I do a lot of custom homes and small commercial projects too, and just start trying to use ADT2004 to it fullest. Like I said there on the right track just need to keep going. Let me know how you would like to transfer ideas.....
Message 7 of 25
calpolyarc

To elaborate more on my process...
1. Create a view that contains my BIM
2. Create all of the Section/Elevation lines that will be used to generate my sections/elevations
3. Generate the sections/elevations
4. Rotate/move the sec/elevs such that they line up and are oriented correctly (ie: rear elevation is upside down if you are looking at front elevation)
5. With the click of one button I generate front, left, rear, and right 'saved views' with their correct ucs orientation. This gives me the ability to change from working on one elev/sec to another with the click of one button (I have a button for front, left, rear, and right)
6. Insert standard elev/sec layers. I use only 4 layers for all elev/sec's. 1 layer is for the elev/sec that ADT generates, another is for all traced/added linework, another is for hatches, and the last is for symbols/text. The point of having these four 'standard' layers is that I have buttons for each layer that turn them on/off like a lightswitch.
7. Trace/add linework to elev/sec's. To deal with lineweight I have a toolbar with all of the colors (I use ctb's) I use and at the click of a button change the color of whatever I want.
8. Add hatches, symbols, and text; then turn off the 'ADT generated' layer and you're done.
9. If you change something in your model simply update the elev/sec and adjust your traced/added linework.

I've attached images that show my buttons and Elevation examples...
Message 8 of 25
calpolyarc

more images...
Message 9 of 25
calpolyarc

Last one....
Message 10 of 25
Anonymous

can you shere your custom commands we the newsgroup "calpolyarc" wrote in message news:5985317.1088782744780.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Last one....
Message 11 of 25
Anonymous

You might also look into the Details feature, handy for adding additional graphics to large scale sections and elevations.

--

David Koch
Autodesk Discussion Group Facilitator
Message 12 of 25
calpolyarc

sure, but they are in a bunch of different lisp files, email me at calpolyarc@aol.com and I will send them to you.
Message 13 of 25
a.c.childress

calpoly, do your really draw the elevations rotated upsidedown and roatated? I prefer to draw them side by side with rotated copies of the floor plan placed over them. That way I can directly check heights with each other and the LOOK right.
Message 14 of 25
calpolyarc

So do you copy all of the floor/roof plan xrefs and then rotate them, essentially having 4 copies of your BIM in your elevation drawing?
Message 15 of 25
a.c.childress

I make the floorplan a block and copy that then delete is when I don't need it anymore. usually i only use one copy and do the front, move over do the right etc. My draftsman came to this office drawing as you do. He learned this in a technical college. I made him change and he stopped making certain errors related to heights and the way roof lines connected. Some of these errors were made because looking at the house on it's side or upside down is not very intuitive. Our average house is as complicated as your sample but we don't put as much detail on the sides and rear.
Message 16 of 25
Anonymous

Once you have created the elevations can you rotate them around so they the are all on the same direction? I would have to agree it would be hard to work on them sideways and up side down.
Message 17 of 25
Anonymous

I just x-ref in my plans add my elevation tags and create the elevations and sections from that. When they are created you can place them in line and modify as need. I just hate the fact you cant trim and extend the line work created in the elevation.
Message 18 of 25
Anonymous

I have read about it but thought it was for ADT2005. Is there something for ADT2004 which is what I use.
Message 19 of 25
calpolyarc

Of course you can rotate them around, but you don't have to work on them like that in the first place, you can work on them all facing the same way if that's your preference. I'm not 'working' on the sideways and upside down, I rotate my view (not the drawing) when going from one elev to another using my 'front', 'left', 'rear', and 'right' buttons so that I can work on all of them right side up. I don't know why we rotate them like that, it's just the format I was brought into.
Message 20 of 25
a.c.childress

Right, I just like having them in a line and lined up to work points off each other.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report