Announcements
IMPORTANT. Forum in Read Only mode. You can no longer submit new questions or replies. Please read this message for details
Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior
Welcome to Autodesk’s Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charlie Chaplin

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
skyview
258 Views, 10 Replies

Charlie Chaplin

Ever watch one of his routines where something gets stuck to him and for the life of him he can't get it off? That is how I feel sometimes when I try to work in this program. I'm an average joe. I don't have time delve into the miriads of this and that's the program is capable of. If judged by some of you guys, you'd wonder how I manage to find the power button on the computer!

Here's my questions.

When I first began using ADT2005 I had to hold down the shift button to select in multiple to erase, move etc. Trying to achieve some other completely (or so I thought) different end. I 've somehow managed to change this setting and now every selection sticks until I hit return or escape. Each has their advantage, but I 'd just like to know how to switch back and forth!

Also, I work in model space to get the basic drawing I want to have as a finished product, (I know a lot of you will be saying that I'm not fully using the products abilities to admit this) I then enter the text on paper space together with leaders, notes , etc. I've noticed that if I try to edit the text , and that text happens to be positioned inside the boundaries of the viewport that I'm automatically shifted to model space. Any way to prevent that ? I hate having to UNDO back to get back to the correct scale or pan has shifted half my drawing out of the viewport. Thanks for any help!
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: skyview

I will take the first one:

The PICKADD system variable controls this behavior: Set it to 0 and you have to hold Shift down to get multi-object selection sets. Set it to 1 to be able to do so without holding down the Shift key.

Type PICKADD at the Command: prompt, or set it on the Selection tab of the Options dialog ["Use Shift to add to selection toggle" - checked = 0; unchecked = 1]. You can also toggle this value using a button on the Properties palette [or you can in 2004; I believe this is still available in later releases, but can not check right now].

--

David Koch
Autodesk Discussion Group Facilitator
Message 3 of 11
skyview

Thank you so very much! Simple enough IF you know what you are doing!

A little clarification on the text edit / model space question. When the text edit - I use ( dare I say) Dtext so I double click a text, edit it and hit enter. This automatically sends me to model space, which I don't notice about half the time because I'm zoomed in too far. So I try to scroll, and then you know what happens to my scale, I have to undo to get back to the right scale. OR I pan and the model space drawing moves , but of course the paper space info does not, resulting in another quick session of undo. That is what I mean and is there anyway to not have the edit session throw me into model space?
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous

Hmm. I just tried that in ADT 2005 and can not reproduce what you are experiencing. I zoomed in on a layout tab so that I could not see the edges of the viewport, put in a piece of text in paper space using DTEXT, double-clicked the text to edit it and hit enter to save the changes. I remained in paper space.

Have you considered locking your viewports, once they are set the way you want? You can always unlock them later if you need to make an adjustment, but a locked viewport, even when model space is active, will temporarily switch to paper space when zooming.

--

David Koch
Autodesk Discussion Group Facilitator
Message 5 of 11
skyview

Trust me to find some quirk that can't be reproduced anywhere else. Honest - I'm not lying! I'm wondering if PICKADD has something to do with it, because both of my concerns began about the same time? I didn't always have the edit session explained here, throw me into model space.
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous

As David mentioned, if you lock your mview window, this problem should not
happen again. There is a chance, if you double click the mview window
(instead of the dtext) you might go to model space. (You may not notice
this, since you have zoomed in too much!)
To lock the mview window, select it while in pspace, right click, go to
properties and then select yes for Display Lock under the Misc section.

--
Nicholas Iyadurai
St Louis, MO

wrote in message news:5144012@discussion.autodesk.com...
Trust me to find some quirk that can't be reproduced anywhere else.
Honest - I'm not lying! I'm wondering if PICKADD has something to do with
it, because both of my concerns began about the same time? I didn't always
have the edit session explained here, throw me into model space.
Message 7 of 11
skyview

Thanks again! I really appreciate the info. I will try that, too.
Message 8 of 11
skyview

big frown form me here. Locking the viewport did NOT work completely. I still get thown into model space, but I can scroll and pan with out changing scale, or the drawing moving so at least that is better.
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous

It won't keep you in paperspace if you fail to properly select the text.
Your pickbox has to be over one of the text vectors when you DC in order for
text edit to function. The behavior you describe is working as designed,
i.e., DC in a viewport to switch to ms, DC outside a viewport to switch to
ps. If you still have trouble, you might try enlarging the size of your
pickbox or not zooming in so close to the text. For example, if you are
trying to select a "V" and pick in the middle of it so that your cursor
pickbox doesn't cross one of the two lines, you will change space.

--
----
Ed
----
Message 10 of 11
skyview

Thanks Ed. This makes sense. I HAVE recently changed from using a pick box to double clicking to select text to edit. I never thought of it until your post. It seemed faster , but the model space / paper space problems it caused are more time consuming. I did learn a lot from the Group, about pick add, locking viewports. Proves a person can learn from "the school of hard knocks" , but I don't reccomend it - takes too much time. Unfortunately my only option at this time!
Message 11 of 11
Chris Holmes

My guess is you are double clicking and not getting the text, thus activating model space, (as others have mentioned) One way to not have that hapen is simply select the text you want to edit and go to the properties pallette and edit it there.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report