Community
A360 Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s A360 Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular A360 topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Viewing formats on Autodesk 360 Tech Preview

24 REPLIES 24
SOLVED
Message 1 of 25
ukdxb012
1123 Views, 24 Replies

Viewing formats on Autodesk 360 Tech Preview

Hi,

What File Formats can you view on Autodesk 360 Tech Preview? I have loaded NWD and RVT so far but dont seem to be able to see the models, just the file uploaded. Does it take a certain amount of time to generate?

Regards,

Duncan Brannan
UK/EMEIA CAD Operations Manager
Twitter | LinkedIn

24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25

Hi Duncan,

Thanks for posting the question to the Autodesk 360 Tech Preview forum. Right now Navisworks and Revit files are not able to be viewed. But it is work in progress. I thought we had a list of supported file types in the help, but I just checked and I don't see it there. Let me check with the team and see what we can find out for you.

You can view DWG, DWF, PDF, and office file formats.

Have you had a chance to create any groups and share files yet? We would really like to hear how the tech preview is going and what you think.

Thanks again for the feedback and we will check on the supported file types.

Bud Schroeder
AutoCAD Customer Council Beta Programs
Autodesk Inc.

Autodesk Beta Programs!

Message 3 of 25

Hi Duncan,

I reached out to the team and they were going to post here, but one of my co workers also pointed out that it is still in the help.

http://help.autodesk.com/view/ADSK360/ENU/?guid=GUID-488804D0-B0B0-4413-8741-4F5EE0FACC4A

Hope this helps with what file formats are currently supported.

Thanks
Bud Schroeder
Autodesk Inc.

Autodesk Beta Programs!

Message 4 of 25

Hi Bud,

Was hoping to see the option for NWD and RVT in the very early stages of this BETA as thats one of the things we really want 🙂

Regards,

Duncan Brannan
UK/EMEIA CAD Operations Manager
Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 5 of 25

Hi Duncan,

We can not really say yet as it's work in progress. Are there any other formats you would like to see here? What products do you primarily use for work?

Thanks for all the great feedback.

Bud Schroeder
Autodesk Inc.

Autodesk Beta Programs!

Message 6 of 25

Hi Bud,

I and another colleague just starting testing Autodesk 360 Tech today and like Duncan, immediately thought to upload RVT and NWD files.  In addition to supporting these file types for browser-based viewing, is there any plan to support viewing IFC files in Autodesk 360?  On another note, we have tried loading DWGs and noticed that 3D DWGs cannot be displayed, while 2D DWGs can.  Is this a common issue right now?   

The message in the Autodesk 360 intro video was great since it hinted being able to view models in a browser without needing BIM authoring/analysis tools.  I think having that flexibility will make this tool much more useful to project teams.

We'll continue to test it and provide feedback.  Thanks for your time.

Gregory Williams

Message 7 of 25

Thanks Gregory for the update and yes please keep the feedback coming in, we very much appreciate it.

Bud Schroeder
Autodesk Inc.

Autodesk Beta Programs!

Message 8 of 25

Hi Gregory,

Thanks for posting your feedback on file viewing! We do support translations for 3D DWG's. Last week there was an issue with preview generation in Chrome, which is fixed now. Did you try in chrome or any other browser? Would you mind uploading a 3D DWG file and checking again? If you still see issues with preview, keep me posted. And if its OK with you, please do share the file with me.
Thanks,

Swathi Vadlamani
Autodesk 360 Web
Message 9 of 25

Hi Swathi,

As you requested, please find a link to the 3D dwg file we uploaded to the 360 Tech Preview Site.
https://myhub.autodesk360.com/ue29c2c7d/docstore/permalink/DSabee1QT1a327cf2b7a2a7438461e60ba9e

I initially on tried it using Chrome and the preview now works.

Thanks for your help.

Gregory Williams, AIA, NCARB, LEED AP
Kristine Fallon Assoicates, Inc.
11 E. Adams, Suite 1100
Chicago, IL 60603
v. 312-360-9600
gwilliams@kfa-inc.com
www.kfa-inc.com
Message 10 of 25

Hi Gregory,

Glad to know it is working perfect to you.
Thanks,

Swathi Vadlamani
Autodesk 360 Web
Message 11 of 25

Hi, i would like to know if inventor publisher files can be published. I'm uploading the storyboards to 360 in the instruction format, and can then use and interact with them in 3D and play and pause them, but this beta says it supports them, but there not working. IPT files are also not viewable in chrome either.
Steven Dewar | STATS Group | 3D Animator

Win7Ent-64-SP1 | 32GB | Intel Core i7-4770CPU@3.40GHz | Quadro 4000 GPU
Message 12 of 25

Hi Steven,

Sorry for the delay on this, for some reason I did not see it as unanswered. You can upload these file types manually using a browser, but I don't believe you will be able to view them yet. We are working on making that better but it would be in the future.

Hope this helps answer the question for now and thanks for posting your feedback.

Bud Schroeder
Autodesk Inc.

Autodesk Beta Programs!

Message 13 of 25
man0har
in reply to: ukdxb012

When I started using this cloud along with my students, they initially started uploading their autodesk fassignments. I was able to view them online (without downloading) but the moment i started teaching 3ds Max (which I presume is also an autodesk project) and asked my students to submit their assignments on the cloud, we ran into major difficulties. There is just no ap to read .max files or the animated .avi files. so the experience turned sour. 

Message 14 of 25
man0har
in reply to: man0har

by autodesk assignments I meant Assignments in Autocad
Message 15 of 25

Hello Manohar,

Thanks for posting your question about the Autodesk 360 Tech Preview. The current version does not support ".3DS" files right now. We are looking at this for future versions though. I'm not sure about ".AVI" files though. You could try using MP4 files as that is supported right now.

So it sounds like you are teaching AutoCAD and 3D Studio MAX. Can you tell us what versions of these products you are teaching? Also how are you sharing the files? Do you create a project for all these, or separate projects based on the product you are teaching? Can you share more with us about how you are using the Autodesk 360 Tech Preview and what type of school this is?

Thanks again for the feedback and asking about the MAX files.

Bud Schroeder
Autodesk Inc.

Autodesk Beta Programs!

Message 16 of 25

I didnt see any option to render output as mp4 in 3ds max. Please enlighten me if there is.

As regards your query, I have been teaching 3ds max since inception at many places when it was in dos - 3ds2, and worked with a dongle. At that time Targa was more popular. Autocad too I have taught since early 90s off an on . Presently, I am at an institute of information technology. We use the recent educational versions. though I feel the older versions were better because because they were not resource hungry. Many students just couldnt render large files in 3ds max (2013). It was very frustrating for them, specially since the lighter versions are no longer available. For assignments, the students share their autocad and 3ds max files with me by sharing their folders on auto desk 360 indivisdually. The projects, however,  have been created in Tech preview and are shared through the hub.

The avi and jpeg files are shared with me through google drive. As a faculty it is important for me to be able to see files online itself, because with nearly 40 students I cannot be downloading every assignment (and believe you me, there were many)

Thanks for taking interest

warm regards

manohar khushalani

Message 17 of 25

Hello Manohar,

Thanks for the update and feedback on what you are teaching. We did share the earlier feedback about the AVI and 3DS file formats with the team. We are continually working on viewing and file formats, so it's work in progress.

We both go way back with this stuff, I used to be one of the WIZOPS back in the Compuserve days. I started with AutoCAD 2.6. I played with 3DS DOS back in the day, but just didn't have the time to get good with it. AWESOME program though!

I don't know if MAX will output MP4 files, but there are lots of great free converters out there, maybe you can use one of those? I know it's not ideal, but might be a good work around for now.

Thanks again for all the great feedback so far. And for the update on how you are using the Tech Preview.

Bud Schroeder
Autodesk Inc.

Autodesk Beta Programs!

Message 18 of 25

Hi Bud

Wow! its great to know somebody who has been at it just at long.

I am absolutely delighted and thrilled to know.

As regards the animated output file formats, even if the 360 team puts up an ap which reads .mov files it would do. The conversion option is there but adds a step and prolongs the time required for submissions Thanks.

Keep in touch.

warm regards

Manohar Khushalani

Message 19 of 25

Hi Bud, I really hope that you would have Inventor Publisher 3D instruction files working in the new 360 system before release [but i assume that thats why your doing the tech preview, to iron this out before release]. Its a long way from "public usability" just now. Its far to hard to navigate for a start. 

I have spent a long time taking Inventor files, animating them in Inventor Publisher, and publishing them into the 360 environment [instruction format], so we can use a large interactive white board to allow hands on training on the tools we make interactivly, before the techs use them for real. 

My whole system is built on interacting with .INSTRUCTION files full screen. 

I hope i am correct in assuming that this will be unchanged on the 360 update, and I will have full interactivity with these files. Othewise it will be years of wasted work and hardware.

Cheers, Steve

Steven Dewar | STATS Group | 3D Animator

Win7Ent-64-SP1 | 32GB | Intel Core i7-4770CPU@3.40GHz | Quadro 4000 GPU
Message 20 of 25

Hi Steve,

Thanks for posting the feedback. Have you submitted this to the IdeaStation? If not can you do that, as it's a great place to share what you want to see going forward with the Tech Preview.

Also just curious, but have you tried using Fusion yet to see how it fits for your team?

Thanks again for the feedback and please to share this to the IdeaStation as well.

Bud Schroeder
Autodesk Inc.

Autodesk Beta Programs!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report