Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync client

Sync client

Any thoughts to a dropbox-like sync client?

I would love the ability to sync a folder or other content on my server at a vartiety of locations with the data online. Use case:

I am working on 3 projects, sharing files on A360. I don't want to have to upload and download all the files every time I make a change, so I set up 3 sync folders:

\\Server\Project\Documents\SyncA

\\Server\Project\Dcouments\SyncB

etc.

the ability to have more than one location would be key. As I make changes to documents and want to share them to the team, I can drop full folders or just files into those folders and it updates the content on line and notifies subscribed team members. It also keeps a log of the time I posted (or someone else posted).

I would also recieve folders or files from others.

The time spent on large scale projects uploading and downloading is A LOT. As an example, on one project, we had some 80 files transfered weekly and it took a single person 10 hours a week to upload and download all the files from the larger design team. A sync service would be great.

9 Comments
Bud_Schroeder_ADESK
Autodesk Support
Status changed to: Accepted

SamuelAB
Advocate

Great idea!

Even if it was just a Dropbox in a dedicated lcoation I would not mind. As long as I don't have to drag and drop files in Windows Explorer. It should just be three levels of saving within Revit:

• Save
  • Save to Central
  • Save to Cloud

Really, we could probably get this to work on Dropbbox pretty easily, you would just need a buffer folder for files that are in the process of being downloaded. Once they are ready, the can be automatically moved to replace the old linked files. A further itiration could use an modified version of the Worksharing Monitor to manage cloud files.

KALH
Advocate

I second SamuelAB

Within Revit Save As add "Save current view to the cloud" so we can post a schedule/ a 3D view/ a sheet view/ etc.

I have no use of dropbox from my office computer but I will certainly see an advantage to have a similar mecanism within the mobile app.

We cannot upload anyfile from our mobile devices right now 😞

Thanks for listening

Chris_Baze
Advocate

A360 desktop should sync the contents of all of my hubs in addition to what is on A360 drive. This would also hopefully speed up Collaboration for Revit because a recent local file would be already downloaded.

millerml_USC
Participant
This is a great comment. Autodesk and the A360 should take a more direct approach with A360 than has been the case with Autodesk dispersed "suite" approach. Single general ledger (GL) accounting is fundamental to project management, so it only follows that project information in the form of models and documents are properly shared and synced by A360. This is to reduce separate files that are meant to be identical versions but stored in a way that causes them to become distinct. Just the A360 and A360 drive distinction is a flaw in the Autodesk team's ability to plan and address project risk. Designing in process flaws might be the norm in CAD/BIM protocols, but even from a cost and management perspective Autodesk would be better served by organizing it's (Autodesk) internal teams when designing and implementing AEC solutions. I realize that everyone working at Autodesk is aware of the systemic issues that are a part of the Autodesk culture, but the A360 platform provides a opportunity for a departure from the "suite" of unorganized and incompatible solutions that provide the content for AU and then forward the costs to capital owners.
BrettWright
Community Manager
Status changed to: Gathering Support

CharlesBerteaux
Advisor

Any movement on implementation???

I need this to sync to network or Revit Server locations..........

Bud_Schroeder_ADESK
Autodesk Support

Take a look at Desktop Connector that just went live. Note that this is for BIM 360 Team and Fusion Team and Subscription members.   See linked thread below. 

BIM 360 Team Forum - Autodesk Desktop Connector and how do I get it:

Thanks. 

ToddHarris7556
Collaborator

The Desktop Connector is a great step in the right direction - or, technically, a great step in ONE direction. We use it to sync Fusion files down to Inventor so we can create drawings in Inventor, and it's very promising (still can't create drawings of FusionDesigns directly - it has to be nested in a redundant Inventor assembly first, but it's a start)

The tricky part is going the other way : while DC works for Inventor *parts*, it currently doesn't support assemblies. This would be most welcome.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report