AutoCAD Structural Detailing Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Structural Detailing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Structural Detailing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to modify a beam

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Scrambled
1321 Views, 9 Replies

Trying to modify a beam

I am trying to modify a beam in autocad structural.   I am needing to draw an 16 x 13 opening in the center of a W24 x 76 beam.  Then weld a 2x1/4 FB on each side of the beam at the top of the opening.

So far, I can draw the beam, add the connections, add the FB, and add a extruded square in the center of the beam where the opening goes.

I have assigned positions to all the components,  but that is as far as I can get.

When I try to do the automatic drawings, only the beam is drawn, and nothing else.  I have tried to make assemblies, but I am not having any luck.

Any Ideas?

Steve

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
jorgeluisgdeaca
in reply to: Scrambled

I'm sorry I don't understand what are you traying to do.

You want to get an opening like in the image, please see the attached.

Message 3 of 10
Scrambled

Jorgeluisdeaca- That is almost exactly it! The only difference is the 2 x 1/4 FB goes at the top of the opening, on both sides of the web. So far, I am able to put both connections on the ends of the beam. One end has double angle clips to bolt to a second beam. I tried to "subtract" the extruded opening from the beam and it is not allowed to to do this. Do I have to "explode " the beam first? I also have the 2 x 1/4 FB in the model view, but when I try to add them to the beam Assembly, nothing happens. I have tried to add the FB as an assembly Part also. So what is the magic button I need to press?? Thanks for the help Steve
Message 4 of 10
jorgeluisgdeaca

Greetings,

I`m sorry but no magics macross available for ASD, many thing will be done manually. Openings are Standard tools in other programs, not here.

I tried to attach differents profiles and all works very well in ASD, just cut by object your beam and welded or bolted your desired profile or plate.

I hope this help.

Jorge

Message 5 of 10
Scrambled
in reply to: jorgeluisgdeaca

jorgeluisqdeaca-

That is exactly what I am needing.   I sent hours trying to cut a hole in the beam.   I was finally able to make a plate the size I needed, then inserted that into the center of the beam.

When I did the automatic drawings, I just change the name from Plate 1 to Hole.  It is not a good work around, but so far that is all I have.

How did you get the hole in the first .jpg you posted?

Thanks for the help

Steve

Message 6 of 10
jorgeluisgdeaca

Hi,

if you are new using ASD please be patient because many things must be done manually and you must use workarounds and workarounds... so in ten years (ASD2023) Autodesk staff/programmers will include user's wish list with this kind of tools.

The first .jpg was made with Tekla (macro 1060), I guess Prosteel have the same tool if I remember correctly.

Jorge

Message 7 of 10
tedmail

Once the plate is where you want the hole to be, just trim the beam about the plate with the "fit to object" option in ASD machining and you will have the hole in the beam that you are after.

Also, make sure that the beam is being drawn up in automatic drawings correctly.  There are options for it to only detail the cut length, and then you can also have it "developed" where all holes, cuts and bends are included.

The objects are very modifyable in ASD.  It's not like Vanilla CAD and not like other programs, but it does work very well.  Better than other software once I got used to it.

Message 8 of 10
tedmail

Do not explode!  When using ASD, stay with the ASD tabs at the top.  Under the "ASD - Model" tab there is a a "machining" section.  In there is "fit to object"  Select the fitting object first and the modified or cut object second, then you have some variables.  For this instance, make sure that you uncheck "cut protrusions" or too much of your beam will be gone.  External and passive are fine.  Choose active if you want it to change when the fitting object is changed.

Hope that helps!

Message 9 of 10
Scrambled
in reply to: tedmail

Tedmail-

I tried to use the "fit to line" and "fit to Polyline"  but did not know about the fit to object.  I will try that.

Where can I find the settings for the automatic drawings?  I tried dimstyle, but my automatic drawings have several dimensions that are repeated over and over.

I think I will like ASD once I figure out all the settings.

Thanks for the help

Steve

Message 10 of 10
tedmail

Stay on the ASD tabs and it will help.  On the "ASD - Drawings" tab, there is the last section which gives links to most, if not all, the perimeters needed tuning prior to making drawings.  There is style, dimstyle, etc...  but now ASD has added a bit more to follow up with.  I bit confusing at first, but play with all the links in that section and you should learn it quick.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips