AutoCAD Structural Detailing Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Structural Detailing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Structural Detailing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steel Knee/Fly Brace - South African Section Problem

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
cashansa
1847 Views, 8 Replies

Steel Knee/Fly Brace - South African Section Problem

Good day All

I am having a problem creating a knee brace with the following macro:

rbct_mmacro Library name: StrBrace Class name: StrBraceCreate
(i.e. in the parametric structures tab - 2nd icon from top left - Toolbar: Parametric > Brace .)

It says it cannot create the brace with the section used ( ZA - CC - 150 x 50 x 20x 2.0). What could be the error?

I have atttached a file for your perusal.

Kind Regards

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: cashansa

The connection macros 'filter' sections by their types. In this particular case the cold formed channel type is not included in the supported section types for purlins. I have added the request  for adding this type to the supported profile types for this connection type to the wish list for next versions of ASD. 

You can try the following workaround:

1. Replace the CC section with another 'standard' channel

2. Generate connection using the macro

3. Explode the connection

4. Replace the standard channel with the CC section

5. Weld plates to the profile

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 9
cashansa

Thank you for attending to the issue. I can create the brace manually, however, it so much easier if a macro executes the task.

I have read that Tekla allows the user to create a connection and copy it to other sections of the structure. If you could please request a similar feature to this in ASD, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you

Message 4 of 9
jorgeluisgdeaca

Many people says "Tekla can...Tekla do..". If Autodesk put many time and some $$$ maybe ASD can do  some things like Tekla. This is a custom component made in 30 seconds. In ASD not all profiles are available to do this. I've tried to do this in ASD three years ago, no succes. Still today i can't.FB.jpg

Message 5 of 9
ZHUKOV_ING

and 5 years later you can't do this in asd, i lost my nervs so one and a half year i am switched to Advance steel, and with graitec's software you will be able to do this connection.

😄 Greetings

Message 6 of 9

YEP,  many programs needs to know some information like grid location, level or coordinate to do this. I'm not talking about great BIM program, just good and simple programs.

FLANGE BRACES:
*Surf

* Id   No.  Loc  Type  Offset  Opt  Ref

Message 7 of 9
cashansa
in reply to: jorgeluisgdeaca

Good day all

Thank you for the input.

It seems as if the ASD steel module cannot compete with the other packages on the market? However, we are a consulting engineering service. We had purchased the building design suite ultimate (for Robot and ASD-Reinforcement). These two work well, and I thought of giving ASD-Steel a try since it comes with the suite. When the package does come up to standard, after some customer feedback and criticism, I think we will have a very competitive product..

By the way, this suite is the cheapest all round structural engineering package on the market.

Regards

Message 8 of 9
Artur.Kosakowski

I am having a problem creating a knee brace with the following macro:

rbct_mmacro Library name: StrBrace Class name: StrBraceCreate
(i.e. in the parametric structures tab - 2nd icon from top left - Toolbar: Parametric > Brace .)

It says it cannot create the brace with the section used ( ZA - CC - 150 x 50 x 20x 2.0). What could be the error?

The support of these sections has been added in SP1 for ASD2104.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 9 of 9
zcsillag
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Nice...now when bought Graitec ?

Why need SP1 ... Advance Steel more stable 😛

Delete ASD and change Building design suite content !!!

Regards
Csillag Zoltán

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips