AutoCAD Structural Detailing Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Structural Detailing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Structural Detailing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manual weld problem

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
lincannotbe
968 Views, 12 Replies

Manual weld problem

Does anyone have this problem linked below?

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Structural-Detailing/Modify-Weld-Symbol/m-p/4404505/highlight/...

I have the exact same problem and cannot find any answers. Can someone update on this issue? Thank you!

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Jianna
in reply to: lincannotbe

I got so frustrated with this that I stopped using ASD for a bit and was using AutoCAD Architecture for 2D modeling. When I finally went back to ASD, the problem had resolved itself.

That being said, try restarting your computer. Perhaps some setting got mixed up and resets after a computer restart. ASD is so screwy, though, that I really have no idea.

Message 3 of 13
lincannotbe
in reply to: Jianna

So relieved to hear that I'm not alone.

I use ASD for all the steel detailings in my company and really would love to fix this.

To be honest, I didn't even know ASD had manual weld function.

Until before, I always just manually drew all weld symbols, and now I got this project with lots of weld symbols needed.

I browsed through the website, believing that Autodesk wouldn't be so stupid to let people draw weld symbols manually, and found out that there actually was the manual weld function.

Anyway, I always restart my computer in the morning, and it never resolved the issue.

Is there any specific fix that I could do? Do you remember any other thing that you did before it got fixed by itself?

Any smallest clue can be very helpful. Thank you!

Message 4 of 13
Jianna

So, doing some research, I found that my original file still has this problem. Any new file I've made since then (using ASD) has been fine.

I also noticed that in any of my files that work properly, the weld I want shows up as "addweld" in the command line. I also found that "addweld_old" is a command that produces the window that neither of us want to see again. However, in my original file, both of those commands result in the same non-helpful weld dialog box. If that makes sense to you...

I'm not sure why this happens, but I'll keep looking into it.

Message 5 of 13
lincannotbe

That is exactly what is happening to me.

Both commands give me the same stupid useless dialog!

I also got suspicious about the corrupted weld macro file.

Could you, by any chance, send me any file (even blank) that you can successfully bring up the menu with ADDWELD command?

I just want to test if your "correct" file would work on my computer, too.

Thank you so much for the help!

Message 6 of 13
Jianna

Ok, I created a file with two beams and I put a weld symbol in position A-1 front view. That way I KNOW that the proper weld dialog box works for that file.

Keep me updated.

Message 7 of 13
lincannotbe

Where can I download the file?

Thank you!

Message 8 of 13
Jianna

Hmmm, I attached the file but it's not showing up. Let's try again....

Message 9 of 13
lincannotbe

Wow it DOES work on my computer!

So glad to see the weld pop-up!

Interesting.. I will study this file further and update.

Maybe for my next project I will just use this file to start with.

Thank you so much!

Message 10 of 13
lincannotbe

After few tests, I am beginning to get suspicious about my template file.

May I ask what template you used for the test file?

What dwt are you using?

Message 11 of 13
Jianna

I made my own .dwt file so many months ago I don't remember which one I started with.

But, now that I think back, this is the only file that started out as a 2D file in Architecture. I then opened it in ASD and allowed the program to convert it to a 3D steel file.

Anywho, perhaps take my file and change all your fonts, dimstyles, and whatnot to your standard, then save as a .dwt and change your settings to open that template whenever you start a new file.

Good luck!

Message 12 of 13
lincannotbe

I gave up figuring out the root of the error.

Instead, I did what you advised me to do.

Now my new template (based on yours) works perfect!

Thank you so much. I am now out of the frustration!

Message 13 of 13
Jianna

Wooo! *High five!*

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips