AutoCAD Structural Detailing Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Structural Detailing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Structural Detailing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huge "not responding" issues

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
markhubrich
890 Views, 6 Replies

Huge "not responding" issues

I am having extreme un-responsivness while working with my drawings. Extreme lag in my case.

I had split my job in 2 yesterday and now that just creates a bigger mess of a headache. I have plenty of common clip angles and such parts. Splitting the files really messes with the quantitys on my gather sheets. 

I went back to the whole job file since I can't control a modification to a part across 2 files unless I change it on both files.

I have specs that I was for sure going to cover my needs.

Intel Xeon W3680 @ 3.33GHz

24 Gb Kingston HyperX DDR3-1600 

250 Gb Kingston Solid State Hard Drive

2x NVIDIA Quadro 4000 2Gb

Intel DX58S02 Motherboard

Windows 7 64bit with latest service pack

ASD 2013 with all updates

I will admit that there is a lot of members on this project. I just don't know what to do next?

Here are a few screenshots if my project taken from a Navisworks point of view. Since my ASD is currently thinking real hard and not responding. 

navis1.JPG

navis2.JPG

What the heck do I need to buy to stay productive? If I throw $10,000 at a BOXX Workstation will that solve my issues?

Someone from Autodesk please...

...and fix the kiss export issues.
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
ZHUKOV_ING
in reply to: markhubrich

Man... y have beast machine, my solution for you is called Graitec Advance Steel. Just try it,

Best regards

Message 3 of 7

Hi,

1.Try to explode connection , I know - You have no chance to change in future , but if You are sure that do not modification maybe this is right way.

2.In my opinion orbit with hiding object can "shut-down" ASD.

3. "Simplified modeling of connectors"

4." Welds display - line"

I think that BOXX Workstation change nothing .

If You paste structure from dwg make in Microstation (or something like this ) try to insert a dgn file.

good luck

Message 4 of 7

95% of all my connections are custom anyway. 

I really don't want to venture on to other software. I've been detailing steel on Autocad since R13. I do admit ASD really helps save time. Plus I can do things with Autocad that SDS2 and Tekla guys cannot. 

How about a Linux version of the Building Design Suite? Everything seems to run faster on Linux.

By the way, the current lag I'm talking about here is not even from working in 3D. Just updating a printout is doing this.

Message 5 of 7
tedmail

I too, have noticed it more when having Solids and Parts in a created layout.  I found that if I export that as a block to a new file and delete the drawing from the oringinal, it gets back to a workable ASD file.

Tags (1)
Message 6 of 7
markhubrich
in reply to: tedmail

Thats a good idea. I'll try that tomorrow. I do have 91 sheets. 

I also noticed that trying to update more than 10 or so printouts at a time locks up ASD dead in its tracks.

I would much rather spend the 10 grand on a machine that will take this beating rather than go through this. I would really like it if Autodesk would address the performance issues and fix them.

Message 7 of 7
sebastianpop

I've just finished a 1500 ton structure in ASD using the following tricks:

- never keep the generated drawings, sheets and the model in the same file, always delete the drawings

- use a big screen and divide the window in multiple views (side view, top view, isometric) so that you don't have to rotate de 3D view so often

- isolate the objects in the area you work in

- get used using 2D wireframe by using all the views while modeling to prevent overlaping solids

The problem is in the software not in your hardware! not even IBM Blue Gene can handle this.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips