AutoCAD Structural Detailing Forum
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s AutoCAD Structural Detailing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Structural Detailing topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
Message 1 of 6
iwafb
1084 Views, 5 Replies

Future of ASD

Hi All, One of the happiest days I had as a detailer was when I found that Autodesk were getting behind a steel detailing product (about time). We have been using ProSteel for a couple of years and as much as we've found that the product is getting a lot more stable, it's not without it's problems (and that's before you get into the support issues). Unfortunately, one of the saddest days I had was when I got a demo for ASD. Admittedly, the presentor had very little knowledge of ASD so he couldn't answer any or our questions. However, it seemed to be very much in the early stages of development and from what we could see there was very little thought given to the Australian market. I hope Autodesk are serious about this product as we are very keen to jump accross (as are several other companies). In our view, Autodesk have a golden opportunity to give the market leaders a real run for their money. :D Regards John
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
mariepl
in reply to: iwafb

You have to understand that resellers have not been trained on ASD, and that no documentation exists as of now... It's hard for a reseller to try to demo a product on which he/she has no knowledge...
Message 3 of 6
iwafb

I am very sympathetic to resellers in this respect. Maybe if he hadn't suggested the software was fully functional, ready to go for the Australian market, fully supported...

Having said that, I did not start this post to comment on resellers. It was just a way of saying well done Autodesk and I hope you get behind this product as I believe it could provide our industry with a very cost effective viable alternative.
Message 4 of 6
lonelywolf

ASD is not a noew program.
It was previously RCAD (by robobat, Poland, Europe).
Latest RCAD version was 7.1
And it used in Poland and Europe for some time now.
You can download manuals and examples to get started.
Resellers who have also dealed with Robot Millennium know the program.
Message 5 of 6
adslion1

I think so too here in New York City.  The problem with ASD is that it's not being treated as seriously as the other AutoCAD products/families.  I'm having difficulties running this program because it has lots of limitations.  When using certain commands it doesn't perform well such as the command ā€˜Fit To Objectā€™ which doesn't always work when selecting 'Object To Fitā€™: the program either won't perform the command or would slice the structural member in half or worst, leave it unrecognizable as two flanges with no web.

I feel for my Australian counterparts because as an experienced user of other Autodesk products (Revit, AutoCAD, 3DSMax, AutoCAD LT, etc.),  ASD could be a great program that would actually enhance and even replace some of the older more prominent showcases.  To show you that Autodesk is not paying attention:  Have you seen that even some of the programs icons on the screen have misspellings (ASD 2010)? "Insert Elevetion Mark" should spell as ElevAtion".  That's only one of about 3-4 errors I've seen.  Even the vague and limited training resources/documentation (PDF format) have misspellings and don't much for me when it comes to learning tools.

Any of you guys know where I can find ā€˜deckingā€™ material or representations within this program? I can only detail structural members but I canā€™t find adding decking to these assemblies.  Please help and thank you in advance.

Message 6 of 6
amsomarqu
in reply to: adslion1

IĀ“m agree IĀ“ve been looking for how to add or create a new template for list of material, bars detailed table, new dim style, specific database information for profiles according with my country industry and there is not information about these topics.

If anyone has an idea I will appreciate its help

regards

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

ā€Boost

ā€Tips