AutoCAD Structural Detailing Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Structural Detailing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Structural Detailing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From ASD to BIM?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
tedmail
1584 Views, 5 Replies

From ASD to BIM?

Any way of doing this?  I got comfertable modeling in ASD and forgot to go use Revit, and now I can't find a way to export it.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
BarryHaugen41
in reply to: tedmail

There is a couple of ways of doing this, first one is to use the revit extension for ASD, the only problem with that is only columns and beams come across. No connections or cuts come with the export. The second way is to export as ACIS solid model and bring that as an underlay into revit, you will loose the profile sizes but all the components will be there.

Message 3 of 6
Priitl220
in reply to: tedmail

USE CIS/2 format (See pic)

CIS/2 is similar to IFC but used only for steel.

For example Tekla reads CIS/2

Revit reads only main profiles from CIS/2

If it is needed for visual , use ACIS Solids.

Rich.O.3d
in reply to: Priitl220

that would work if there wasnt a BUG

cardinal points are ignored when the CIS/2 is exported

ie if you have your insertion line at TOS, then all your members will jump up so that the steel member profile is located with the centroid of section at TOS (all your steel will be half the member depth higher than it should be

CAD Management 101:
You can do it your own way,
If its done just how I say!
[Metallica:And Justice For All:1988]
Message 5 of 6
markhubrich
in reply to: Rich.O.3d

Try the Navisworks export. 'NWCOUT' command. What software will be working with the model after you export it? Every single BIM job I've done was required to provide model files compatable with Navisworks Manage. NWC files are extremely small in file size as well. Nice for emailing. 

Mark

...and fix the kiss export issues.
Message 6 of 6
Rich.O.3d
in reply to: markhubrich

you cant imprort navis cache files into other detailing programs

nwcout does not create a CIS/2 (its a CIMsteel Integration Standards file, its a type of *.sat)

Im exporting for sending to a detailer that uses Tekla, but the CIS/2 bug will still be evident when pushed into a BIM program hence the double post Smiley Wink

I would have used a different work flow from the start of the project if it was up to me.

When given lemons, I try to make lemonade Smiley Very Happy

I was commenting on the bug in the autodesk version of this output, I can turn navis pretty much inside out, but thanks for the suggestion.

CAD Management 101:
You can do it your own way,
If its done just how I say!
[Metallica:And Justice For All:1988]

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips