AutoCAD Structural Detailing General DIscussion

EddieOBrien4224
Message 1 of 2 (933 Views)
Accepted Solution

Creating a knee barce in ASD 2012

933 Views, 1 Replies
09-23-2011 09:41 PM

Hi there,

I was hoping someone may be able to help me to create a knee brace say to be used as a pipe support.

The arrangement is along the lines of using an existing UC (H Section) as a column. I am then attaching a horizontal member *200 PFC (Channel section) say about 1000mm LG to the flange of the column using a web side plate (shear plate). To support the  horizontal member I am trying to fit a strut (say 75x75x6 EA (angle section) ) at 45 degrees, to support the horitontal member off the column.

I have spent hours and hours trying to find a way in ASD...any ideas or direction?

regrads

Eddie O'Brien

EddieOBrien4224
Message 2 of 2 (907 Views)

Re: Creating a knee brace in ASD 2012

09-26-2011 12:10 AM in reply to: EddieOBrien4224

Well

the brains trust has failed me........however I have worked it out myself

I drew two columns and brace line between each column, with a horizontal member between the column (strut).

I then used the bracing command.....using the strut as a vertical limitation. Now I had a single brace beetwn one column and the strut. I then selected each of the columns that I drew and "hid" them.

This gives me a knee brace off an "existing" column to support my pipework.

Eddie O'Brien

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD Structural Detailing Category!

The AutoCAD Structural Detailing forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.